Fluttering Ear Drum

I have had tenittis the ringing in my ears for many years non stop. Now the past week have had a constant fluttering in my left ear. Cant sleep with it its driving nuts. It does not stop ever. Sounds like a butterfly on my ear drum that does not stop. Went to doc and said it looks fine. Set me up for ear doctor in 3 weeks. Oh man 3 weeks more of this im gonna loose my mind. Anyone els have it like me and were you able to cure it or did it jiat go away ?
Thanks Steve

Hi, Steve--I used to have the fluttering in my eardrum, and it drove me a little nuts, too. It would come and go, but when I had it, it would last for hours. What worked for me was getting off all caffeine. And that seems to be the culprit for me, because I've had caffeine twice this week (hot chocolate, 1/2 cup of coffee) and both nights I had the fluttering again for the first time in many years. In reading up on it, it seems to be caused by a fasciculation (the kind of twitching you get on your eyelid sometimes) of the muscle that's attached to one of the ear bones. If that's true, then the caffeine theory would certainly make sense, since stimulants can make muscles irritable like that.

What did your doc say about it? Do you still have it?

I am having the ear fluttering where a burp, sharp noise or talking on the phone activate it. It's not all the time but it is everyday. I went to an ENT and he didn't know so he signed me up for an allergy test, hearing test and an MRI of my brain and inner ear. I don't think I need an MRI but whatever I guess. It feels more like a twitching feeling and only lasts a few seconds. I ended up getting sick and had a bad cough and it made the fluttering worse. I went on amoxicillian and it stopped for 4 days but came back. I do drink coffee in the morning but not a crazy amount and it's water all day long after. Driving me crazy!

I am having the ear fluttering where a burp, sharp noise or talking on the phone activate it. It's not all the time but it is everyday. I went to an ENT and he didn't know so he signed me up for an allergy test, hearing test and an MRI of my brain and inner ear. I don't think I need an MRI but whatever I guess. It feels more like a twitching feeling and only lasts a few seconds. I ended up getting sick and had a bad cough and it made the fluttering worse. I went on amoxicillian and it stopped for 4 days but came back. I do drink coffee in the morning but not a crazy amount and it's water all day long after. Driving me crazy!
Please check out Lane's thread "DMSO and Magnesium", he said that it treated his TTTS (ear fluttering) within two weeks.

If the Magnesium Oxide doesn't work, I had an ear surgeon suggest to me some of the oddness in my ears (other than the tinnitus) was related to my jaw and TMJ and I did find the looser I kept my jaw and more aware of the tension a lot of the odd ear things went away. Can't hurt to make an effort to keep a relaxed jaw.

I have a similar feeling. I keep saying it's a vibration but mine only does it with certain sounds like running water makes it vibrate/flutte.r I feel like my ear is damaged and the noise of water is hurting making it pulse like it does. Not sure if that's true but just a thought.

Just peeing into toilet bothers it endlessly, I'm wearing earplugs...

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now