Marijana

Author
Apr 7, 2015
Croatia
Tinnitus Since
Cause of Tinnitus
Most probably standing (working) near speakers on a festival
Hey guys! :)
In probably about a month I'm going to fly for the first time in my life (Ireland yaaay :rockingbanana:) and would appreciate your advice how to survive that adventure haha

Last year when I traveled by train we had to go through a tunnel and when the train entered the tunnel pressure in my ears was becoming bigger and bigger (and it hurt!) as train was going through the tunnel. I thought that my ears or brain were going to explode, literally! I really don't know what would've happened if the tunnel was a bit longer...:cautious:

Now I'm a bit scared what could happen up there :nailbiting:

Earmuffs + chewing gum on take off and descend and you will be fine :)

Chewing gum is supposed to help you equalise pressure in your ears.

Yeah, I calmed myself down and found a lot of useful tips here!
Thank you, I'll try my best not to freak out :giggle:

@Marijana
Hi! I went to Poland for a few days this week so had two 2 hour flights. My previously very mild T increased at Christmas as a result of a virus / sinus infection. I have also had mild ETD and have been struggling with pressure in my ears so was panicking about flying. I googled lots, both generally and on this forum. I used Earplanes ear plugs that kind of regulate the pressure changes. I chewed gum with exaggerated chewing motions. I sucked menthol sweets and sipped water continually. I also kept moving my jaw from side to side. These measures were largely to keep opening my Eustachian tubes but also to prevent a spike in my T which is currently exacerbated by my ETD. I am absolutely fine and have not experienced any discomfort or increased T. If anything my ears have been better since then?
Best Wishes, Steph x

Marijuana, i think I noticed somewhere that you're from Croatia? If you're going with Ryan air (I went from Ireland to Croatia twice last year) they skimp on most things but their cabin pressure seems to be ok, I used noise cancelling headphones, chewed gum and used an otravine nasal spray. The fact that you're coming to beautiful Ireland is bound to lift your mood which will help! (Except that is pissing down and gloomy at the minute) I'm looking forward to visiting your beautiful coastline this summer...hopefully my T will have calmed down by then. Enjoy Ireland, despite our political issues we're quite a nice bunch of people!

@Steffi I was planning to search for those earplugs next time I'm in town, to have it just in case. I really appreciate your advices! Hope your situation gets better! :huganimation:

@Randal McC
Yes I am from Croatia. I don't like to correct people but my name is Marijana not marijuana :D
Thank you for your support and for your warm welcome! It's so nice to hear that from an Irish, can't wait to finally land to a green island! :)
Despite our political issues as well I hope you will enjoy your summer here because you just can't not to love it (not because it's my country haha)! May I ask which part of coast are you visiting?

Hi @Marijana, I have written about this a lot here, as my tinnitus came from barotrauma on a flight. Just search flying under my member name. My doctor gave me a whole protocol that involves Earplanes, Afrin nasal spray and Sudafed. You start 2-3 days prior to your flight. I have had no problems since I have done this.

Oh, and remember an airplane is pressurized. A train is not. So don't worry that one experience will be like the other.

1) wear earplugs
2) sit in an aisle seat since window seats tend to be noisier
3) sit as far in front of the plane as possible. The back of the airplane is usually noisiest

@Randal McC My Dalmatia haha you chose wisely! :beeranimation:
@LadyDi Thank you soo much for your words, you eased my mind! I will definitely search for your posts :thankyousign:

@leelo Yeah I checked those thing out, didn't even know they exist haha thank you! :)

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now