• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

It's my main critique of pure tone audiometries. They use large intervals and then conclude that it must all be good in between the intervals. I don't know how valid this reasoning is, but I have some very serious doubts about it.

Is it not possible to have notches between these intervals if both adjacent measuring points revealed no hearing damage? It does not make any sense to assume there is no damage possible in between. These tests are completely archaic and insufficient in my opinion.

I've challenged all the audiologists on this point and they all seemed to imply it was not required. I can understand it's not practical to do all 20,000 frequencies with a pure tone audiometry, but to assume that every non-tested frequency must be ok then, that just seems strange to me.

On the other hand I'm not an audiologist and perhaps there is a valid reason to state that doing several intervals is sufficient.

If anyone has deeper knowledge on this, please share, I've been wondering about this for 9 months already.

PS: I've tried these HD hearing tests on YouTube which loop through all frequencies, but it's not easy to do a proper test at home or come to a conclusion.
Audiologists' main concern is with understanding conversation. I don't think they really care about anything aside from 250 Hz-8 kHz. The national standard is obviously a joke but it's understandable that testing frequent intervals is somewhat infeasible. The test I took was 35-40 minutes long as it was.

Bear with me here - I don't have a scientific background so apologies if this doesn't make sense but given that Frequency Therapeutics is obviously targeting hair cell regeneration, how do they differentiate between the Inner Hair Cells and the Outer Hair Cells? Is it assumed that using this method would regenerate both types of hair cells? From reading the data from the slides, it seems like it given that the results appear to indicate increased clarity of sound, which is a function of the OHCs?
No worries, maybe I can help. FX-322 has shown in their animal models that they regenerate IHC and OHCs both. They generated fewer IHC than OHC but in the same proportion. This is probably because noise does not usually take out a large amount of IHC before completely depleting OHC. So for ex. if they started with 5 IHC they doubled that to 10, and doubled 30 OHC to 60 (hope that makes sense).

In the paper differentiating between the two types is done via different staining methods (pretty standard stuff, you can see my past post about it).

In people, you can't really do this because we can't image the ear to see which hair cells were regenerated - IHC or OHC (or both).

What we're thinking here is that because clarity was enhanced and not just amplitude we are seeing evidence of IHC regeneration alongside the standard OHC. These IHCs would come with new synapses and nerve fibers to increase "clarity". Clarity is usually involved with synaptopathy but honestly it could still mainly be OHC. We're kind of trying to put two and two together, but it's hard without being able to see inside the ear.

I wish they had done speech in noise before and after injection...that would have been helpful.

Bear with me here - I don't have a scientific background so apologies if this doesn't make sense but given that Frequency Therapeutics is obviously targeting hair cell regeneration, how do they differentiate between the Inner Hair Cells and the Outer Hair Cells? Is it assumed that using this method would regenerate both types of hair cells? From reading the data from the slides, it seems like it given that the results appear to indicate increased clarity of sound, which is a function of the OHCs?
I think it's both by the paper they published. Also, they mentioned in the Q and A it would treat cochlear synaptopathy only where hair cell growth occurred because the new hair cell would grow new synapses. This statement would make no sense imo if they were talking about OHC because that's not where "cochlear synaptopathy" is.

No worries, maybe I can help. FX-322 has shown in their animal models that they regenerate IHC and OHCs both - they are able to differentiate between the two via staining. They generated fewer IHC than OHC but in the same proportion. This is probably because noise does not usually take out a large amount of IHC before completely depleting OHC. So for ex. if they started with 5 IHC they doubled that to 10, and doubled 30 OHC to 60 (hope that makes sense).

In the paper differentiating between the two types is done via different staining methods (pretty standard stuff, you can see my past post about it).

In people, you can't really do this because we can't image the ear to see which hair cells were regenerated - IHC or OHC (or both).

What we're thinking here is that people clarity was enhanced and not just amplitude we are seeing evidence of IHC regeneration alongside the standard OHC. These IHCs would come with new synapses and nerve fibers to increase "clarity". Clarity is usually involved with synaptopathy but honestly it could still mainly be OHC. We're kind of trying to put two and two together, but it's hard without being able to see inside the ear.

I wish they had done speech in noise before and after injection...that would have been helpful.
They did do speech in noise and it improved.

Has FX-322 actually shown to cure tinnitus in animals? Or was it never tested for that as it's a hearing loss drug?

No worries, maybe I can help. FX-322 has shown in their animal models that they regenerate IHC and OHCs both - they are able to differentiate between the two via staining. They generated fewer IHC than OHC but in the same proportion. This is probably because noise does not usually take out a large amount of IHC before completely depleting OHC. So for ex. if they started with 5 IHC they doubled that to 10, and doubled 30 OHC to 60 (hope that makes sense).

What we're thinking here is that people clarity was enhanced and not just amplitude we are seeing evidence of IHC regeneration alongside the standard OHC. These IHCs would come with new synapses and nerve fibers to increase "clarity". Clarity is usually involved with synaptopathy but honestly it could still mainly be OHC. We're kind of trying to put two and two together, but it's hard without being able to see inside the ear.

Thanks so much! You've enlightened me for sure.

Yeah, it's really interesting because it sort of seems like current research is going in two directions: 1) hair cell regeneration and 2) nerve/synapse repair and that most companies are focusing on one of the two. Without being able to see inside the ear, it's hard to entangle the two I guess.

Bit of a long shot but since tinnitus is listed as one of their secondary outcomes, I wonder whether this method of HC regeneration could have positive implications for the treatment of hyperacusis? If I can recall correctly, one of the leading theories re the potential pathology of pain hyperacusis is that the type 2 nerve fibers (the ones that are speculated to be pain fibers) are activated in response to OHC damage so it makes me wonder whether repairing the damaged OHCs would then rectify the pain response from the type 2 fibers. I'm just speculating here and I suspect that's far too simplistic but it's food for thought I guess.

Thanks so much! You've enlightened me for sure.

Yeah, it's really interesting because it sort of seems like current research is going in two directions: 1) hair cell regeneration and 2) nerve/synapse repair and that most companies are focusing on one of the two. Without being able to see inside the ear, it's hard to entangle the two I guess.

Bit of a long shot but since tinnitus is listed as one of their secondary outcomes, I wonder whether this method of HC regeneration could have positive implications for the treatment of hyperacusis? If I can recall correctly, one of the leading theories re the potential pathology of pain hyperacusis is that the type 2 nerve fibers (the ones that are speculated to be pain fibers) are activated in response to OHC damage so it makes me wonder whether repairing the damaged OHCs would then rectify the pain response from the type 2 fibers. I'm just speculating here and I suspect that's far too simplistic but it's food for thought I guess.
I really wish they would test hyperacusis too! Maybe eventually...

Has FX-322 actually shown to cure tinnitus in animals? Or was it never tested for that as it's a hearing loss drug?
Hasn't been tested on animals that I'm aware of but depending on how you interpret one of their Q and A answers, it may have already been shown to help in humans during phase 1. We will have confirmation end of this year.

It's never been tested in animal models for tinnitus. The Hough pill has however and was able to reduce/eliminate tinnitus. But the Hough pill and FX-322 do different things - however after the most recent presentation we are concluding that FX-322 will also benefit synaptopathy if you need to generate IHC. So far this seems to be the case as their speech in noise scores improved.

Not so much going in different direction, but acting as compliments to each other. Some drugs like PIPE-505 do both synapses and OHC (don't ask me how, I still don't know lol) I firmly believe that most of us will need both to fully repair our cochleas. It's hard to package all of cochlear repair into a single drug but I think the fact that we can get pretty close with only 2-3 is absolutely incredible imo.
Bit of a long shot but since tinnitus is listed as one of their secondary outcomes, I wonder whether this method of HC regeneration could have positive implications for the treatment of hyperacusis? If I can recall correctly, one of the leading theories re the potential pathology of pain hyperacusis is that the type 2 nerve fibers (the ones that are speculated to be pain fibers) are activated in response to OHC damage so it makes me wonder whether repairing the damaged OHCs would then rectify the pain response from the type 2 fibers.
Yep, yep. That is one possible way we can rectify pain hyperacusis (noxacusis). By replacing the damaged OHC, the newly formed cells will not be leaking ATP onto the type 2 nerve fibers causing the pain. I regrettably know a lot less about noxacusis than I do loudness hyperacusis and tinnitus but from the little I've read (and from what user member Lab has told me) I think it stands a very good chance at being correct.

I really wish they would test hyperacusis too! Maybe eventually...
My guess is that since hyperacusis is more of a 'niche' condition than tinnitus it's perhaps not really been on their radar so much but hopefully once the trials advance further we will get an even more comprehensive picture of outcomes/secondary outcomes. I'm probably just biased because my hyperacusis bothers me more than my tinnitus lmao and I don't want to get my hopes up but yeah it's exciting.

@FGG correcting my foolish mistakes as always ;3
You know what? Now I'm not so sure. They referred to speech in noise as a measure of clarity and then said clarity improved but I, just now, found another slide calling *both* word scores and speech in noise measures of clarity. From their Q and A it sounds like they found some measure of synaptopathy improvement but I am failing to find the actual numbers. Anyone have this?

Frequency Therapeutics has always been really ambitious. My guess is as soon as they can get it to market, they will. Drugs can go to market during the Phase III trials, so we could see it as soon as late this year or early next year. But there are a lot of variables in play.

As for cost, they will want to maximize their profit. So what the final cost will be will depend on a number of things. One important thing will be if there's any competition. If Audion's LY3056480 drug fails, then FX-322 will be the only game in town and they'll be able to charge a lot. If LY3056480 is a big success, FX-322 will have to price their drug competitively. There are also other companies that have drugs in the pipeline, but for now it really looks like a race between LY3056480 and FX-322.

Last night I got a bill for a heart monitor I wore for 2 weeks. The bill was for $7,500, though insurance knocked it down so I only had to pay around $700. I was still pretty annoyed though. There has to be good competition for heart monitors, and mine was "mostly" covered by insurance. I fear a drug like FX-322 won't be covered as much (if at all - sort of like how laser eye surgery isn't typically covered by insurance).

At this point everything is speculation, but I would imagine a drug that could restore hearing and cure tinnitus costing around $10-20k. They may even charge by dose if it's discovered that additional doses help (maybe $5k per dose?).
I had no idea drugs could be released to the market during Phase 3. I thought we would have to wait after the trial has finished. Is this true?

That's great news.

I had no idea drugs could be released to the market during Phase 3. I thought we would have to wait after the trial has finished. Is this true?

That's great news.
That's what I was told by a doctor when I did a phase 3 study for a cholesterol drug ~10 years ago. I can't find any info online about it though, so now I'm not so sure.

Edit: I just found a WallStreetJournal article that stated "fast-tracked drugs often go to market after phase 2". I'd link to it but WSJ is weird about direct links. The article's title is "Fast-Track Drug Approval, Designed for Emergencies, Is Now Routine" though, and you should be able to find it through Google News. So this is inline with what the doc told me ~10 years ago, and since FX-322 is fast-tracked, we may see it very soon.

after the most recent presentation we are concluding that FX-322 will also benefit synaptopathy if you need to generate IHC. So far this seems to be the case as their speech in noise scores improved.
One of the links that were posted a while back about the under-appreciated role that extended high frequencies may play in speech comprehension specifically mentioned improved speech-in-noise understanding as a benefit. Synaptic repair may not be what's causing the improved scores.

That's what I was told by a doctor when I did a phase 3 study for a cholesterol drug ~10 years ago. I can't find any info online about it though, so now I'm not so sure.

Edit: I just found a WallStreetJournal article that stated "fast-tracked drugs often go to market after phase 2". I'd link to it but WSJ is weird about direct links. The article's title is "Fast-Track Drug Approval, Designed for Emergencies, Is Now Routine" though, and you should be able to find it through Google News. So this is inline with what the doc told me ~10 years ago, and since FX-322 is fast-tracked, we may see it very soon.
I hope so too. I'm a bit worried that there will be a bit of a delay releasing the drugs worldwide since Astellas have international rights and Frequency Therapeutics have US rights.

Maybe it might be possible for Astellas to release the drug first since they are a very big company and could make a lot of batches of this drug.

Not so much going in different direction, but acting as compliments to each other. Some drugs like PIPE-505 do both synapses and OHC (don't ask me how, I still don't know lol) I firmly believe that most of us will need both to fully repair our cochleas. It's hard to package all of cochlear repair into a single drug but I think the fact that we can get pretty close with only 2-3 is absolutely incredible imo.

Yep, yep. That is one possible way we can rectify pain hyperacusis (noxacusis). By replacing the damaged OHC, the newly formed cells will not be leaking ATP onto the type 2 nerve fibers causing the pain. I regrettably know a lot less about noxacusis than I do loudness hyperacusis and tinnitus but from the little I've read (and from what user member Lab has told me) I think it stands a very good chance at being correct.
Yeah, fixing the OHCs seems like the logical solution.
One of the links that were posted a while back about the under-appreciated role that extended high frequencies may play in speech comprehension specifically mentioned improved speech-in-noise understanding as a benefit. Synaptic repair may not be what's causing the improved scores.
Probably a stupid question, but can you have hair cell loss with a normal/'perfect' audiogram? Since an audiogram only tests up to 8 kHz? It's been established that cochlear synaptopathy can hide behind an audiogram and that they are better at detecting HC loss but can higher-frequency HC loss still be present for someone with a normal audiogram?

True but they also said in the Q and A that synapses would be repaired in places where the new hair cells had to connect when someone directly asked them about cochlear synaptopathy.

Yeah, fixing the OHCs seems like the logical solution.

Probably a stupid question, but can you have hair cell loss with a normal/'perfect' audiogram? Since an audiogram only tests up to 8 kHz? It's been established that cochlear synaptopathy can hide behind an audiogram and that they are better at detecting HC loss but can higher-frequency HC loss still be present for someone with a normal audiogram?
You can get an extended audiogram and test for OHC loss up to 16000 Hz. High frequency OHC damage especially can completely hide behind a normal "standard" audiogram up to 8000 Hz.

You also could have a "notch" that is undetected. Audiograms also do not assess IHCs or synapses. Standard audiograms are really designed around telling you if a hearing aid will help you imo.

True but they also said in the Q and A that synapses would be repaired in places where the new hair cells had to connect when someone directly asked them about cochlear synaptopathy.
I think that's been accepted for a long time. I read a paper from 2004 which said that hair cells attract synaptic connections as they develop. Do synapses die along with their connected hair cells and re-appear when hair cells are regenerated? Is this synaptopathy then? I thought synaptopathy was the loss of synaptic connections independent of hair cells.

I think that's been accepted for a long time. I read a paper from 2004 which said that hair cells attract synaptic connections as they develop. Do synapses die along with their connected hair cells and re-appear when hair cells are regenerated? Is this synaptopathy then? I thought synaptopathy was the loss of synaptic connections independent of hair cells.
"Synaptopathy" is the loss of the synapse connections whether or not you have also lost hair cells. What Frequency was saying in their Q and A was that, if you happen to have synaptopathy where you also have hair cell loss, the drug should address both problems. And in that sense, FX-322 could be a treatment for some cases of "cochlear synaptopathy". Seems implied they are talking about regenerating *IHC's* here in that instance because that is the synapse connection that is lost in "cochlear synaptopathy", which is pretty exciting! Obviously, if you don't have any IHC hair cell loss, this drug wouldn't help, though.

Phase 2a is supposed to end next September. Any idea about Phase 2b?

Frequency Therapeutics has always been really ambitious. My guess is as soon as they can get it to market, they will. Drugs can go to market during the Phase III trials, so we could see it as soon as late this year or early next year. But there are a lot of variables in play.

As for cost, they will want to maximize their profit. So what the final cost will be will depend on a number of things. One important thing will be if there's any competition. If Audion's LY3056480 drug fails, then FX-322 will be the only game in town and they'll be able to charge a lot. If LY3056480 is a big success, FX-322 will have to price their drug competitively. There are also other companies that have drugs in the pipeline, but for now it really looks like a race between LY3056480 and FX-322.

Last night I got a bill for a heart monitor I wore for 2 weeks. The bill was for $7,500, though insurance knocked it down so I only had to pay around $700. I was still pretty annoyed though. There has to be good competition for heart monitors, and mine was "mostly" covered by insurance. I fear a drug like FX-322 won't be covered as much (if at all - sort of like how laser eye surgery isn't typically covered by insurance).

At this point everything is speculation, but I would imagine a drug that could restore hearing and cure tinnitus costing around $10-20k. They may even charge by dose if it's discovered that additional doses help (maybe $5k per dose?).
Well if it's a one-time cure, I guess most of us are ready to spend $10,000 or maybe even more to get rid of tinnitus for the rest of our lives. We buy $400,000 houses, we could spend 10% of that to get rid of what may represent the greatest pain point in our lives.

And companies know that very well and their point is to make money, they have to, that's why investors have given them money.

Only competition can help and I don't think we're going to see competition before a long time. At least one as good if FX-322 is the real deal.

Let's assume FX-322 is commercialized, would they have to complete another clinical trial if they wanted to improve the drug (for instance make the drug reach the lower frequencies)?

Unfortunately most insurance doesn't cover hearing health at all. At least here in the US. They consider it "cosmetic," whatever the F that means...

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now