• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

What is the Cliffs Notes version of why Hough Ear Institute's treatment works as a pill versus FX-322 having a targeted injection?

What are the different mechanisms?

Thanks in advance.

What is the Cliffs Notes version of why Hough Ear Institute's treatment works as a pill versus FX-322 having a targeted injection?

What are the different mechanisms?

Thanks in advance.
FX-322 is a progenitor cell activator and stimulates supporting cells to form outer hair cells and (it seems) inner hair cells. If you have OHC cell issues, usually this would show up on an extended audiogram unless you have a "notch." IHC loss is hard to diagnose. FX-322 likely won't work on losses below 3500 Hz yet (a version 2.0 likely would). It also generally wouldn't treat issues in the synapse unless you happen to be missing an IHC there too.

The Hough pill is for synapse loss only. Also known as "hidden hearing loss." Synaptopathy in the speech frequencies presents as "speech in noise" issues. It reportedly helps with neurite outgrowth restoring functional synapses.

Tl;dr:
FX-322 repairs hair cells, Hough repairs IHC to spiral ganglion synapses.

FX-322 is a progenitor cell activator and stimulates supporting cells to form outer hair cells and (it seems) inner hair cells. If you have OHC cell issues, usually this would show up on an extended audiogram unless you have a "notch." IHC loss is hard to diagnose. FX-322 likely won't work on losses below 3500 Hz yet (a version 2.0 likely would). It also generally wouldn't treat issues in the synapse unless you happen to be missing an IHC there too.

The Hough pill is for synapse loss only. Also known as "hidden hearing loss." Synaptopathy in the speech frequencies presents as "speech in noise" issues. It reportedly helps with neurite outgrowth restoring functional synapses.

Tl;dr:
FX-322 repairs hair cells, Hough repairs IHC to spiral ganglion synapses.
Damn. My worst notches are below 3500 Hz ☹

I have zero doubt an updated later formula won't address those. They appear to be hiring formulations scientists.
Me too. I've got something going on at 1430 Hz. My first ever tone. But the most annoying one is above 12 kHz... that one is the devil .:blackalien:

I have zero doubt an updated later formula won't address those.
Sorry to be nitpicking, but that sounds like a double negative. The meaning of which is ambiguous. It can only be either one of the following.

1. I don't doubt it will address the issue.
2. I doubt that it will not (won't) address the issue.

I may be wrong. I am not a good friend with negations.

I do think that a later formulation will address any issues that the first formulation may have. That's just the way progress goes.

Sorry to be nitpicking, but that sounds like a double negative. The meaning of which is ambiguous. It can only be either one of the following.

1. I don't doubt it will address the issue.
2. I doubt that it will not (won't) address the issue.

I may be wrong. I am not a good friend with negations.

I do think that a later formulation will address any issues that the first formulation may have. That's just the way of progress.
I mean I am confident and without doubt that a later formulation will address the issue. I'm in agreement with you.

@FGG

I talked with my ENT doctor and from what I understood, he said my hearing loss is at 4000-8000 Hz. Is the FX-322 going to help me then? I will get the full results this week.

@FGG

I talked with my ENT doctor and from what I understood, he said my hearing loss is at 4000-8000 Hz. Is the FX-322 going to help me then? I will get the full results this week.
You are in the range they say their drug should have good penetrance.

Does anyone here know exactly how the fast-track system works and how it expedites things? How much faster can a drug get into the clinic?

I mean I am confident and without doubt that a later formulation will address the issue. I'm in agreement with you.
Thank you for your insight. I'm new to hearing loss and greatly appreciate yourself and others breaking this cutting edge stuff down.

I have slight hearing loss. My two audiograms show both ears being roughly equal, but my right has a distinct lack of clarity/crispness like it has a screen over it. It is extremely noticable in my own voice even without background noise. Worst notch was initially 25 dB @ 500 Hz and somehow improved to 15 dB a month later. Still trying to rule out possible middle ear issues (can't see ENT til April), but if the right ear actually does have more cochlear damage (synaptopothy perhaps?) would FX-322 eventually help restore that clarity?

Also wondering, when is a realistic expectation for this drug and later formulations to be available to the masses? I seriously hope it's not "decades away" like hearing aid salesmen suggest. I want to see regeneration boom.

For the times we live in, otology seems woefully behind. With all due respect to the advances in hearing aids, we're still stuck in the stone age with amplification being the only treatment. Especially since it's geared towards people with poorer thresholds. My audiologist sent me away with "normal hearing" and no possible treatment. This would be like if the only prescription glasses existed for those with really bad eyesight. The rest of us just have to make due squinting in no-mans land.

Thank you for your insight. I'm new to hearing loss and greatly appreciate yourself and others breaking this cutting edge stuff down.

I have slight hearing loss. My two audiograms show both ears being roughly equal, but my right has a distinct lack of clarity/crispness like it has a screen over it. It is extremely noticable in my own voice even without background noise. Worst notch was initially 25 dB @ 500 Hz and somehow improved to 15 dB a month later. Still trying to rule out possible middle ear issues (can't see ENT til April), but if the right ear actually does have more cochlear damage (synaptopothy perhaps?) would FX-322 eventually help restore that clarity?

Also wondering, when is a realistic expectation for this drug and later formulations to be available to the masses? I seriously hope it's not "decades away" like hearing aid salesmen suggest. I want to see regeneration boom.

For the times we live in, otology seems woefully behind. With all due respect to the advances in hearing aids, we're still stuck in the stone age with amplification being the only treatment. Especially since it's geared towards people with poorer thresholds. My audiologist sent me away with "normal hearing" and no possible treatment. This would be like if the only prescription glasses existed for those with really bad eyesight. The rest of us just have to make due squinting in no-mans land.
If your audiogram is still improving, you might not need regenerative medicine. Inflammation can take a long time (many months) to resolve.

It's possible the lack of clarity is due to IHC loss and Frequency can help but this is not common for most causes of hearing loss without severe OHC (which you don't have based on what you said about your audiogram). Certain ototoxins (eg. Macrolides and Cisplatin) seem to be the exception to this.

Your lack of clarity could be due to synapse loss but there could be other things going on (hydrops just to use an example that affects low frequency hearing more). If there is no hair cell loss, then no FX-322 wouldn't help. But there are other drugs in trial for synaptopathy. It sounds like you may recover on your own though. Recovering that much on your audiogram is a great sign.

If your audiogram is still improving, you might not need regenerative medicine. Inflammation can take a long time (many months) to resolve.

It's possible the lack of clarity is due to IHC loss and Frequency can help but this is not common for most causes of hearing loss without severe OHC (which you don't have based on what you said about your audiogram). Certain ototoxins (eg. Macrolides and Cisplatin) seem to be the exception to this.

Your lack of clarity could be due to synapse loss but there could be other things going on (hydrops just to use an example that affects low frequency hearing more). If there is no hair cell loss, then no FX-322 wouldn't help. But there are other drugs in trial for synaptopathy. It sounds like you may recover on your own though. Recovering that much on your audiogram is a great sign.
About halfway into the concert that caused the trauma I had my jacket draped over my ears to help muffle the sound in lieu of no earplugs (shoulda left or brought ear plugs in the first place, believe me I know now). I believe the left ear just got firmer coverage than the right. It was an incredibly bass-heavy metal band in a small venue. Not sure if that explains the low frequency loss.

I hope that if the loss of clarity can't recover on its own, then it's something I could look forward to one day restoring with a future drug.

Thanks for your help!

Does anyone here know exactly how the fast-track system works and how it expedites things? How much faster can a drug get into the clinic?
@patorjk told me that companies can actually release drugs out in the market in Phase 3. If Frequency Therapeutics go directly to Phase 3 after Phase 2a it could be possible for them to release it next year.

If Phase 2a is successful I don't see why they would have to do another phase to test the safety and efficacy with more people. If safety and efficacy is successful in Phase 2a I think they should release it during Phase 3. They could even release it in a certain market first, e.g., USA, and if no side effects are observed then release it everywhere.

It was an incredibly bass-heavy metal band in a small venue. Not sure if that explains the low frequency loss.
Oddly enough, noise induced hearing loss doesn't necessarily happen in the frequencies with the most amplitude. It has a lot to do with the mechanics of the ear and how the energy is transferred across mediums, but noise induced hearing loss usually shows up between 3 kHz and 6 kHz. 500 Hz is much lower than that and shouldn't cause a "lack of clarity" feeling. I'm down about 35 -40 dB everywhere below 1 kHz (1000 Hz) and the best way I can describe it is that everything I hear through that ear sounds like it's played through an iPhone speaker. It's clear, but it's "tinny" sounding.

Of course you are the only one who experiences what you are hearing, so I don't mean to try to convince you otherwise (there may be other stuff going on as well) - just trying to give some more info that might be helpful.

Okay, so I was curious about the implications of OHC regeneration and hyperacusis and did some further digging on this forum. A few years ago a user @Soren ) actually contacted one of the researchers who was involved in the study showing that the type 2 nerve fibers in the inner ear act as pain receptors (Jamie Garcia-Anoveros at Northwestern). They asked him whether repairing the OHCs would solve painful hyperacusis and it seems like it might not be the correct fix. This was the reply he got:

"The problem with pain hyperacusis is that it is not triggered by damage to OHCs. Type IIs respond to this damage normally, and this is appropriate. Pain hyperacusis sufferers feel the pain to non-harmful sound levels. The hypothesis is that the normal pain system of the type II afferents has been sensitized, so that they now become active in response to the vibrations caused by normal sounds. This is akin to what happens in some cases of neuropathic pain, when damaged pain fibers (elsewhere in the body) are active in response to light touch, so that this becomes painful (this is called allodynia). So, the solution would probably not be to replace the OHCs, but to silence the type II afferent neurons."

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/frequency-therapeutics-—-hearing-loss-regeneration.18889/page-54#post-356547

Interesting although I guess at the moment everything is still sort of speculative. So I'm still hopeful that therapies like FX-322 could impart some sort of benefit for hyperacusis but I guess it's just so complicated. :(

Okay, so I was curious about the implications of OHC regeneration and hyperacusis and did some further digging on this forum. A few years ago a user @Soren ) actually contacted one of the researchers who was involved in the study showing that the type 2 nerve fibers in the inner ear act as pain receptors (Jamie Garcia-Anoveros at Northwestern). They asked him whether repairing the OHCs would solve painful hyperacusis and it seems like it might not be the correct fix. This was the reply he got:

"The problem with pain hyperacusis is that it is not triggered by damage to OHCs. Type IIs respond to this damage normally, and this is appropriate. Pain hyperacusis sufferers feel the pain to non-harmful sound levels. The hypothesis is that the normal pain system of the type II afferents has been sensitized, so that they now become active in response to the vibrations caused by normal sounds. This is akin to what happens in some cases of neuropathic pain, when damaged pain fibers (elsewhere in the body) are active in response to light touch, so that this becomes painful (this is called allodynia). So, the solution would probably not be to replace the OHCs, but to silence the type II afferent neurons."

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/frequency-therapeutics-—-hearing-loss-regeneration.18889/page-54#post-356547

Interesting although I guess at the moment everything is still sort of speculative. So I'm still hopeful that therapies like FX-322 could impart some sort of benefit for hyperacusis but I guess it's just so complicated. :(
Well whatever Frequency Therapeutics is cooking hopefully it helps us with hyperacusis.

Well whatever Frequency Therapeutics is cooking hopefully it helps us with hyperacusis.
Yeah, there was also the anecdote from the Regain guy who reported that his tinnitus and hyperacusis improved. I don't know. I mean tinnitus and hyperacusis arise most of all due to trauma and damage to the inner ear and it seems like FX-322 basically sets in motion a healing cascade so I'm going to remain hopeful.

Interesting although I guess at the moment everything is still sort of speculative. So I'm still hopeful that therapies like FX-322 could impart some sort of benefit for H but I guess it's just so complicated. :(
I think it could definitely benefit loudness hyperacusis but I'm not sure how pain hyperacusis would be addressed by these therapies. I would think OHC repair could prevent further hyperexcitability to the nerve and maybe over time that could allow recovery.

But possibly sodium or potassium channel modulating drugs (not sure which) or long acting local anesthetics (in a long acting hydrogel) might be what is ultimately needed for pain hyperacusis. Noxacusis seems the most poorly studied in the past but i really think that's changing.

I think it could definitely benefit loudness hyperacusis but I'm not sure how loudness hyperacusis would be addressed by these therapies. I would think OHC repair could prevent further hyperexcitability to the nerve and maybe over time that could allow recovery.

But possibly sodium or potassium channel modulating drugs (not sure which) or long acting local anesthetics (in a long acting hydrogel) might be what is ultimately needed for pain hyperacusis. Noxacusis seems the most poorly studied in the past but i really think that's changing.
Yeah, one of the studies from 2016 into the type 2 pain receptors showed that using a potassium channel modulating drug, Retigabine, silenced the type 2 nerve fibers. So what Thanos Tzounopoulos is doing by reformulating it (into RL-81) could very well also prove beneficial for noxacusis. Hyperacusis Research appears to be primarily focused on noxacusis so progress is being made.

I actually just emailed Hyperacusis Research asking whether there's any ongoing research into potassium-channel activators for H lmao. Idk if I'll get a response but it's worth asking.

@patorjk told me that companies can actually release drugs out in the market in Phase 3. If Frequency Therapeutics go directly to Phase 3 after Phase 2a it could be possible for them to release it next year.

If Phase 2a is successful I don't see why they would have to do another phase to test the safety and efficacy with more people. If safety and efficacy is successful in Phase 2a I think they should release it during Phase 3. They could even release it in a certain market first, e.g., USA, and if no side effects are observed then release it everywhere.
I can say with complete certainty and seriousness that this factor will play a major role in some tinnitus sufferers' fate of life or death.

Oddly enough, noise induced hearing loss doesn't necessarily happen in the frequencies with the most amplitude. It has a lot to do with the mechanics of the ear and how the energy is transferred across mediums, but noise induced hearing loss usually shows up between 3 kHz and 6 kHz. 500 Hz is much lower than that and shouldn't cause a "lack of clarity" feeling. I'm down about 35 -40 dB everywhere below 1 kHz (1000 Hz) and the best way I can describe it is that everything I hear through that ear sounds like it's played through an iPhone speaker. It's clear, but it's "tinny" sounding.

Of course you are the only one who experiences what you are hearing, so I don't mean to try to convince you otherwise (there may be other stuff going on as well) - just trying to give some more info that might be helpful.
Thank you, the info is greatly appreciated. The clarity issue seems to be very pronounced in hearing my own voice, although I definitly notice everything else is a touch fuzzier too. When I speak it's as if my left ear picks up more of my voice, and clearer than the right. It's extremely noticable with the letter S. It's almost like the left ear steals that letter away from the right. I seem to image more sound traveling to the left, if that makes sense. When I cover my right ear and speak, I hear my voice sharp and clear out of the left. When I cover my left ear and speak, my voice is muddier and overall less of it seems to go around my head and reach the right ear.

I've also got TTTS like symptoms. Left eardrum is very sensitive and crackles like a broken speaker to my own voice and others at certain pitches. The right does it too, but not as much. So perhaps this is a middle-ear issue? Or could there something else I've damaged in the inner-ear?

Thank you, the info is greatly appreciated. The clarity issue seems to be very pronounced in hearing my own voice, although I definitly notice everything else is a touch fuzzier too. When I speak it's as if my left ear picks up more of my voice, and clearer than the right. It's extremely noticable with the letter S. It's almost like the left ear steals that letter away from the right. I seem to image more sound traveling to the left, if that makes sense. When I cover my right ear and speak, I hear my voice sharp and clear out of the left. When I cover my left ear and speak, my voice is muddier and overall less of it seems to go around my head and reach the right ear.

I've also got TTTS like symptoms. Left eardrum is very sensitive and crackles like a broken speaker to my own voice and others at certain pitches. The right does it too, but not as much. So perhaps this is a middle-ear issue? Or could there something else I've damaged in the inner-ear?
I had the crackling for months accompanied by a "rice crispies" feeling. No idea what it was. It just disappeared one day.

"Boston area startups making slow progress in fight against hearing loss"

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/02...ing-slow-progress-fight-against-hearing-loss/

Excerpt:
When a small cluster of biotechs working on drugs for hearing loss cropped up in the Boston area several years ago, it raised the hopes of legions of mostly older people who rely on hearing aids or implanted electronic devices.

Since then, investors have poured hundreds of millions of dollars into those local startups. The young companies have snapped up top scientists and genetic experts from Harvard, MIT, and Massachusetts Eye and Ear. And Greater Boston has emerged as the hub of hearing restoration efforts.

All the elements are in place for a breakthrough. But therapies to regenerate lost hearing — rather than simply amplify sound — still may be years away.

It's the classic biotech conundrum, familiar to those targeting hard-to-treat diseases ranging from cancers to dementia. Even with big demand, high hopes, and ample funding, the hurdles remain formidable. And the scientific and regulatory journeys almost always take longer than anticipated.

"People think a drug could be ready in about five years," said Dr. Bradley Welling, a neurotologic surgeon at Mass. Eye and Ear who tracks the research closely. He said he sees genuine progress but, almost apologetically, added a cautionary note: "That's what they also said five years ago."

How will Phase 3 work for FX-322 trials? I read they randomised and used the real drug with some people and an alternative medication for other people but there is no alternative they can test.

Anyone have any ideas on how they could conduct the Phase 3 trials? I assume since there is no alternative medication it would be quicker for the drug to be released.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now