• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

I wish we could sticky the following:

Apart from OHC damage that is found on an audiogram, there is no good way to tell what you might have damaged in your cochlea.

and

It looks like Frequency will repair OHC, IHC and only synapses *if* they are associated with a damaged IHCs, otherwise a synaptopathy drug (e.g.. Pipeline, Otonomy, Hough pill) would be needed.

They have said it should reach over 3500 Hz. It is unknown if a reduced or any effect will be reached sub 3500 Hz with version 1.0 of FX-322.
Maybe we should see if we can make a FAQ that explains what medications in the most popular research threads do (e.g. FX-322 regrows OHC and IHC, this is found as a hearing loss on an audiogram etc.)? Then it could be pinned on the main research board whichould reduce redundant comments plus increase scientific understanding among patients.

What do you think of this @Markku?

I am also not sure how stria vascularis damage effects the efficacy. My ototoxicity also effects the stria so this might be a problem for me too. I hope not but it is a worry.
I don't think damage to the stria vascularis will affect the efficacy of FX-322 in any way, but damage to the stria vascularis will continue to affect your hearing after hair cell regeneration and resynapsing though.

I also don't see a way though that this could create or contribute to tinnitus.

A lot of people overlook the stria vascularis, but it plays an essential supporting role in the hearing process. Everyone with ototoxic damage needs to take into account that this cochlear area might be damaged as well. Damage to the stria vascularis will affect the potassium secretion into the endolymph in the scala media where the organ of Corti resides. Depending on how much damage there is to the stria vascularis, there could perhaps be moments where an insufficient level of potassium ions is present in a certain region of the endolymph and this might affect the depolarisation process of the hair cells in that region and consequently the generation of an action potential towards the nerve synapse. It might not trigger an action potential when it should.

Low potassium levels will affect the basic functionality of the hair cell. There is no way around that. The less potassium is present the more chance there is that (some) hair cells will not be able to do their function properly when they need to work hard for a certain period of time. At times they need to depolarise and hyperpolarise many thousands of time per second. Every depolarisation causes potassium to enter the hair cell which needs to be replaced by the stria vascularis secreting new potassium ions into the endolymph. This is a continuous action reaction process that needs to work perfectly.

I believe the negative effect of a damaged stria vascularis might be most noticeable listening to complex sound (music). Music may be distorted in a way that certain parts are not always being processed.

So quick update everyone:

Unfortunately I was officially rejected. The reason they gave is that they need at least 85% or less word score recognition and mine is 100% (which is slightly odd because I did say several times I couldn't understand the words but shrug).

I know a lot of people asked for the reason they were rejected and weren't given one but the Torrance location seems to be extremely forthcoming with information, and didn't hesitate to tell me at all. Not sure why.

But ultimately it looks like they are looking for a combination of audiogram loss and depleted word scores. Best of luck to anyone still trying to get in.

I have more than just cochlear damage and azithromycin can destroy support cells too. I'm sure I will get some benefit but the noise induced folks should get a lot of benefit addressing those 3 structures imo.
Wouldn't Frequency Therapeutics be capable of making a supporting cell "multiplicator" rather easily? If they can divide supporting cells into a supporting cell that transdifferentiates into a hair cell and leaves a copy behind, surely they're capable of making a solution that just divides supporting cells into multiple supporting cells? It would seem that this is one of the easiest problems to solve?

People with noised induced damage likely have less cochlear damage; primarily IHC, OHC and synapses. IHCs and OHCs may be damaged or may have died. IHCs and OHCs can still be present and function, but with decreased synapses. Loud sound waves probably only affect these structures directly. I don't understand at the moment how this damage affects the auditory nerve function and causes hyperacusis. I'm not sure if there is actual nerve damage, most likely some maladaptive neuroplasticity. Noise induced tinnitus imo has the highest chance to be resolved in the future.

I suspect that ototoxins cause a lot more damage than we realise today. People with ototoxic damage may have damage anywhere in the cochlea. Ototoxins can probably affect any cell in the cochlea, but also in the auditory nerve and beyond. This is definitely going to be more challenging.

Thank you for your answers.

@FGG If I understand correctly, restoring hearing will reduce or eliminate tinnitus, is that for sure?

An ORL in France told me that once the acute period ended, the tinnitus was ingrained in the brain. There was nothing to do except to get used to it.

By restoring the OHCs and IHCs, the FX-322 will reduce or eliminate tinnitus. Therefore, to have the cochlea repaired, we combine the FX-322 with another treatment that repairs the synapses as you said and at that time, we should no longer have tinnitus, is that right? You just have to wait 10 years :).

IHCs (about 3500) are the primary hair cells responsible for transmitting the auditory signal to the brain. They are mainly afferent and take up to 90/95% of the spiral ganglion cells in the auditory nerve. Sound is primarily transmitted to the brain by IHCs, not by OHCs.

OHCs (about 12000) on the other hand are responsible for amplifying the (weak) auditory signal received by the IHCs and can also compress loud volumes to prevent hair cell damage (see elasticity mechanism using prestin). So they make sound louder and can also quieten it down when needed. It allows modulation of sound. The other main function of OHCs is to provide refined frequency selection allowing you to focus on specific sounds or frequencies in complex sounds such as music. It allows you to focus on a specific instrument for example during a concert and pushing the rest of the sound into the background. It allows you to focus on what you're interested in. It allows you to focus on one person's voice during a very noisy conversation with multiple people. They are mainly efferent and thus receive mainly input from the brain. They only take up 5 to 10% of the spiral ganglion cells.

I wish we could sticky the following:

Apart from OHC damage that is found on an audiogram, there is no good way to tell what you might have damaged in your cochlea.
You're absolutely right and even then it is still an inadequate test. In my opinion all hearing tests are archaic and insufficient. By the time something shows up on an audiogram there is probably already extensive damage. It's kinda sad to see people say they have perfect hearing, because their ENT said so. Wavering their audiogram around with 10 measuring points or 18 if they were smart enough to do an extended audiogram (which is still only 0,0009% of the spectrum).

I know this is a very difficult challenge, but are you aware of any scientists working towards being capable (someday) of doing an inner ear scan in vivo?

I don't think damage to the stria vascularis will affect the efficacy of FX-322 in any way, but damage to the stria vascularis will continue to affect your hearing after hair cell regeneration and resynapsing though.

I also don't see a way though that this could create or contribute to tinnitus.

A lot of people overlook the stria vascularis, but it plays an essential supporting role in the hearing process. Everyone with ototoxic damage needs to take into account that this cochlear area might be damaged as well. Damage to the stria vascularis will affect the potassium secretion into the endolymph in the scala media where the organ of Corti resides. Depending on how much damage there is to the stria vascularis, there could perhaps be moments where an insufficient level of potassium ions is present in a certain region of the endolymph and this might affect the depolarisation process of the hair cells in that region and consequently the generation of an action potential towards the nerve synapse. It might not trigger an action potential when it should.

Low potassium levels will affect the basic functionality of the hair cell. There is no way around that. The less potassium is present the more chance there is that (some) hair cells will not be able to do their function properly when they need to work hard for a certain period of time. At times they need to depolarise and hyperpolarise many thousands of time per second. Every depolarisation causes potassium to enter the hair cell which needs to be replaced by the stria vascularis secreting new potassium ions into the endolymph. This is a continuous action reaction process that needs to work perfectly.

I believe the negative effect of a damaged stria vascularis might be most noticeable listening to complex sound (music). Music may be distorted in a way that certain parts are not always being processed.
This is depressing as fuck to me. I could handle the intrusive tinnitus, the loss of my career, the dissolution of my marriage and the visual snow if I could just get music back. I *constantly* grieve for its loss. And as it stands now all music sounds muffled and distorted. If this is the result of severe stria damage (which Azithromycin in particular is known to do), I don't even know what to hope for anymore.

I was hoping fixing IHCs would help.

So quick update everyone:

Unfortunately I was officially rejected. The reason they gave is that they need at least 85% or less word score recognition and mine is 100% (which is slightly odd because I did say several times I couldn't understand the words but shrug).

I know a lot of people asked for the reason they were rejected and weren't given one but the Torrance location seems to be extremely forthcoming with information, and didn't hesitate to tell me at all. Not sure why.

But ultimately it looks like they are looking for a combination of audiogram loss and depleted word scores. Best of luck to anyone still trying to get in.
Sorry to hear this. Really would have been awesome to have an insider.

I'm disappointed you tried so hard on the word recognition test. :p All you had to do was miss at least 15% of the words to get the magic candy. How hard can that be? :D

Doesn't make much sense though that you had 100%, but missed several words?!

Thank you for your answers.

@FGG If I understand correctly, restoring hearing will reduce or eliminate tinnitus, is that for sure?

An ORL in France told me that once the acute period ended, the tinnitus was ingrained in the brain. There was nothing to do except to get used to it.

By restoring the OHCs and IHCs, the FX-322 will reduce or eliminate tinnitus. Therefore, to have the cochlea repaired, we combine the FX-322 with another treatment that repairs the synapses as you said and at that time, we should no longer have tinnitus, is that right? You just have to wait 10 years :).
If the tinnitus is generated due to basic cochlear damage resulting in some form of maladaptive neuroplasticity, then it's very plausible in my opinion that this neuroplasticity will be reversed when the damaged frequencies are restored. Nobody is sure however until we get there.

If there is no brain damage or other damage to the auditory pathway then the tinnitus will likely disappear. If the tinnitus results from other (non cochlear) damage, then it will remain present obviously.

Maybe we should see if we can make a FAQ that explains what medications in the most popular research threads do (e.g. FX-322 regrows OHC and IHC, this is found as a hearing loss on an audiogram etc.)? Then it could be pinned on the main research board whichould reduce redundant comments plus increase scientific understanding among patients.

What do you think of this @Markku?
We actually have that here, but it's not a sticky. Nor is it up to date.

Compiling an FAQ on everyone's questions about what would/wouldn't work for them would take a tremendous amount of time. I suggest skimming the conversations in the research threads for anyone seeking a greater understanding of their condition and its potential treatments.
If the tinnitus is generated due to basic cochlear damage resulting in some form of maladaptive neuroplasticity, then it's very plausible in my opinion that this neuroplasticity will be reversed when the damaged frequencies are restored. Nobody is sure however until we get there.

If there is no brain damage or other damage to the auditory pathway then the tinnitus will likely disappear. If the tinnitus results from other (non cochlear) damage, then it will remain present obviously.
There's no doubt for a certain amount—I'd even argue for a majority of sufferers, that this will be the case. We see it with people that have damaged frequencies in the hearing aid range - they pop them in, boom, instant tinnitus relief.

The brain concern I would think would be for tinnitus of an entirely different origin than cochlear damage. I think Shore might actually have an effect there where Frequency wouldn't.

IHCs (about 3500) are the primary hair cells responsible for transmitting the auditory signal to the brain. They are mainly afferent and take up to 90/95% of the spiral ganglion cells in the auditory nerve. Sound is primarily transmitted to the brain by IHCs, not by OHCs.

OHCs (about 12000) on the other hand are responsible for amplifying the (weak) auditory signal received by the IHCs and can also compress loud volumes to prevent hair cell damage (see elasticity mechanism using prestin). So they make sound louder and can also quieten it down when needed. It allows modulation of sound. The other main function of OHCs is to provide refined frequency selection allowing you to focus on specific sounds or frequencies in complex sounds such as music. It allows you to focus on a specific instrument for example during a concert and pushing the rest of the sound into the background. It allows you to focus on what you're interested in. It allows you to focus on one person's voice during a very noisy conversation with multiple people. They are mainly efferent and thus receive mainly input from the brain. They only take up 5 to 10% of the spiral ganglion cells.
This is really informative and perhaps ties in with hyperacusis given that one of the key symptoms is a collapsed dynamic range.

This is depressing as fuck to me. I could handle the intrusive tinnitus, the loss of my career, the dissolution of my marriage and the visual snow if I could just get music back. I *constantly* grieve for its loss. And as it stands now all music sounds muffled and distorted. If this is the result of severe stria damage (which Azithromycin in particular is known to do), I don't even know what to hope for anymore.

I can attest to the fact that losing music can be absolutely devastating to your psyche, because for the first two months post-accident my hyperacusis was so bad I could not listen to anything. There are still bands/songs I cannot listen to, but this is only due to pain resulting from the signal relay and not due to the distortion of the sound itself. I cannot fully empathize with you, but I have felt this in the past.

Hopefully the restoration it provides for will allow for significant improvement in quality of life just in terms of tinnitus diminishment and enhanced hearing clarity. If you achieve this, it will certainly help you plough on as tech with broader applications and more sophisticated tech (e.g. Chen).

FGG

I am sorry for all you have or are going through. I believe you will listen to music again without distortion and enjoy it like never before. One of these discoveries will work. Medical opinions are just that opinions. There is so much we/they know about the ear brain connections but there is so much more we/they don't know. With these archaic audiograms it impossible to accurately determine the exact extent of damage. Please do not lose hope. This is the time to increase you hope/faith that we will prevail. You and everyone on this form and those that are not who are suffering with tinnitus are in my prayers. I pray that TOMORROW is TODAY for a viable cure for us all. It's time well overdue.

I wish there was something I could do for you.

I think I understand the pain well of losing so much. I've basically lost everything I worked for my entire life. Past few days I've been going through so many emotions, I thought I would finally break down and end it. I still cannot accept that I will have to deal with VSS for the rest of my life.

Let me just say that above post is my laymen understanding of how stria vascularis damage may affect hearing and it would be good to hear an expert's opinion on it.

I guess it will depend on how much damage there is to the stria vascularis and what the exact requirements are to have proper functioning of the whole cochlear process in all circumstances. If the number of cells are twice as high as what is required to provide the perfect equilibrium of potassium in the endolymph, then it's not that much of a problem if some cells are damaged.

If all the stria vascularis cells need to secrete potassium all the time, then it will definitely affect hearing when there is damage, but I suspect that nature built in at least some redundancy.

I suspect it may affect hearing the most if there is a region around certain frequencies that has major stria vascularis damage as that specific region will probably have a suboptimum level of potassium and the hair cells will depend on potassium that was secreted by the stria vascularis around other frequencies.

In the end it's a fluid with potassium and calcium that stretches all around the cochlea, but if the pumps don't work across the whole cochlea it will have some adverse effect in my opinion.

@brokensoul
Thanks for your reply, what do you mean by other non-cochlear damage? In the auditory system, what would be affected and could cause the tinnitus except IHC, OHC and synapses?

Then is it safe to assume that if music is not distorted after acquiring tinnitus from ototoxin that the stria vascularis has not been damaged?

@brokensoul
Thanks for your reply, what do you mean by other non-cochlear damage? In the auditory system, what would be affected and could cause the tinnitus except IHC, OHC and synapses?
I believe tinnitus can arise anywhere along the auditory pathway where there is abnormal neuronal activity that is interpreted by the brain as an auditory signal. Best example is neck injuries causing tinnitus. It's because of physical pressure on the intermediary nuclei in the auditory pathway. It simply proves that tinnitus doesn't have to start or arise in the cochlea. Obviously in that particular case we're speaking of somatic tinnitus which can normally be relieved or alleviated by physiotherapy.

Then is it safe to assume that if music is not distorted after acquiring tinnitus from ototoxin that the stria vascularis has not been damaged?
I can only speculate on what the exact impact is of damage to the stria vascularis. I know it is an essential supporting function required to make hair cells function. Hair cells can be perfectly intact, but will do nothing if the stria vascularis doesn't work. They will simply not generate the action potential and therefore not send any signal to the spiral ganglion cells.

I would suspect though it's probably not the first area that gets damaged by ototoxins. Most people will not have any damage in this region. It's more than likely not damaged if you can still hear music clearly.

Most common cochlear damage I suspect is:
1. Synapse reduction or synaptopathy
2. OHC damage or death
3. IHC damage or death
4. Auditory nerve damage
5. Supporting cells
6. Stria Vascularis cells
7. Other

The problem with ototoxins is that they can basically destroy every cell they encounter, depending on their exact toxicity levels.

Sound or let's say vibrations can only kill what is susceptible to high pressure, but poison is a different ball game.

I feel for you, pretty much everything in my life for the past 20 years has revolved around music or sound in some manner.

Almost exactly a year ago, I played a great show at 1000 seat venue and was finalizing plans to play a few festivals in Europe later that summer (not where I lost my hearing/developed tinnitus). I was also getting ready to go to a synthesizer conference (yes those exist) in Berlin for my day job.

A year later and the great irony of the universe is that I can barely leave my house without wearing earplugs.

There hasn't been much discussion in this forum on the company's 10-Q Filing with the SEC. As someone who has some experience with IPOs and working with startups looking for investments, they can be very telling of what is going on behind the scenes. An investor can often derive drivers of a company's strategy and its commitments to delivering a product. This helps to determine the likelihood and profitability to be made as a common stockholder, institutional investor, or an investor in a distributor or supplier.

I'd like to call your attention starting on Page 26 of the 10-Q: License and collaboration agreements.

Frequency Therapeutics has made very specific commitments to make good on licensing agreements relating to the development of FX-322. It is very common that a firm may need to license intellectual property (a patent) from an entity in order to develop a product/service and get it to market. In this case, Frequency is licensing IP from a number of entities with the commitment to deliver product and commence clinical trials within a giving timeframe. One can assume, again *assume* that the license agreements need to remain fulfilled in order to get FX-322 to market.

1: MIT - Agreement Executed Dec 2016
Our future development obligations are: (i) to commence a Phase 2 clinical trial for such product within two years of the IND filing for such product, (ii) to commence a Phase 3 clinical trial for such product within five years of the IND filing for such product, (iii) to file a New Drug Application, or NDA, or equivalent with the FDA or comparable European regulatory agency for such product within nine years of the IND filing for such product, and (iv) to make a first commercial sale of such product within 11 years of the IND filing for such product.

2: Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary - Agreement executed Feb, 2019
We are obligated to use diligent efforts to develop and commercialize the MEEI licensed products. We are also subject to milestone timeline obligations to dose a first patient in a Phase II trial by December 31, 2020 and to dose a first patient in a Phase 3 trial by December 31, 2024.

3: The Scripps Research Institute (California Institute for Biomedical Research) - Sept 2018
(i) submit an IND (or equivalent) for a CALIBR licensed product by the 30th month after the effective date of the CALIBR License, (ii) initiate a Phase 2 clinical trial (or equivalent) for a CALIBR licensed product by the fourth anniversary of the effective date of the CALIBR License, and (iii) initiate a Phase 3 clinical trial (or equivalent) for a CALIBR licensed product by the sixth anniversary of the effective date of the CALIBR License.

Bottom line: There is a considerable incentive for Frequency, its investors, and its licensees to deliver on or before these target dates to get FX-322 out the door within a reason timeframe.

I have noticed twice now the CEO mentioning that the firm is "LASER FOCUSED" on getting FX-322 to the market. This evidence is certainly a driver...

Food for thought. Keep up hope.

Actually, the current leading theories for hyperacusis are OHC loss for loudness hyperacusis, and damaged OHC that stimulate the pain nerve due to their dysfunction for pain hyperacusis. Based on this the drug has the potential to improve hyperacusis, particularly loudness.
See I thought this too about pain hyperacusis - that it's triggered by damage to OHCs which in turn activates the nerve fibers thus solving the problem = fixing OHCs but I'm not so sure. I did some digging and a few years ago someone got in touch with one of the researchers from Northwestern, Jaime Garcia-Anoveros, who produced the study into the pain receptors in the cochlea, asking about this. He said that:

"The problem with pain hyperacusis is that it is not triggered by damage to OHCs. Type IIs respond to this damage normally, and this is appropriate. Pain hyperacusis sufferers feel the pain to non-harmful sound levels. The hypothesis is that the normal pain system of the type II afferents has been sensitized, so that they now become active in response to the vibrations caused by normal sounds. This is akin to what happens in some cases of neuropathic pain, when damaged pain fibers (elsewhere in the body) are active in response to light touch, so that this becomes painful (this is called allodynia). So, the solution would probably not be to replace the OHCs, but to silence the type II afferent neurons."

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...g-loss-regeneration.18889/page-54#post-356547

I'm hopeful that these kind of treatments would impart some benefit and at this stage we simply don't know but this makes me worry that noxacusis would require a different approach.

I'd also like to point out that although Frequency Therapeutics has received the Fast-Track designation from FDA; they still have an opportunity to apply for FX-322 as a Breakthrough Therapy.

If Phase-2A produces as clinically significant results as the Phase 1/2, then they would be within the inclusion criteria (if I am understanding correctly). This would enable Freq to further expedite the development process.

Source: https://www.fda.gov/patients/fast-t...approval-priority-review/breakthrough-therapy

We actually have that here, but it's not a sticky. Nor is it up to date.

Compiling an FAQ on everyone's questions about what would/wouldn't work for them would take a tremendous amount of time. I suggest skimming the conversations in the research threads for anyone seeking a greater understanding of their condition and its potential treatments.
I disagree. That actually is not what I mean to suggest. That list is too jargon heavy for most people to understand. To be fair, FAQ is definitely the wrong term. I think a very simple and plain description of what the drug will fix and how to best tell if that is your problem is much more useful than knowing how the drug is administered, what the chemical is called, what the mechanism is, etc.

We need to make the information accessible so people don't feel the need to clarify again and again. Until it is highly accessible, the patient community will never be informed.

Saying FX-322 is targeted to help you if you have loss on your audiogram (including extended frequencies) is more useful than saying FX-322 stimulates dormant progenitor cells and forces them to divide then specialize to regenerate both OHC and IHC in the cochlea.

See I thought this too about pain hyperacusis - that it's triggered by damage to OHCs which in turn activates the nerve fibers thus solving the problem = fixing OHCs but I'm not so sure. I did some digging and a few years ago someone got in touch with one of the researchers from Northwestern, Jaime Garcia-Anoveros, who produced the study into the pain receptors in the cochlea, asking about this. He said that:

"The problem with pain hyperacusis is that it is not triggered by damage to OHCs. Type IIs respond to this damage normally, and this is appropriate. Pain hyperacusis sufferers feel the pain to non-harmful sound levels. The hypothesis is that the normal pain system of the type II afferents has been sensitized, so that they now become active in response to the vibrations caused by normal sounds. This is akin to what happens in some cases of neuropathic pain, when damaged pain fibers (elsewhere in the body) are active in response to light touch, so that this becomes painful (this is called allodynia). So, the solution would probably not be to replace the OHCs, but to silence the type II afferent neurons."

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/frequency-therapeutics-—-hearing-loss-regeneration.18889/page-54#post-356547

I'm hopeful that these kind of treatments would impart some benefit and at this stage we simply don't know but this makes me worry that noxacusis would require a different approach.
I'm worried too that this won't work for pain hyperacusis. I really hope that FX-322 works for us with pain hyperacusis but also loudness hyperacusis.

I'd also like to point out that although Frequency Therapeutics has received the Fast-Track designation from FDA; they still have an opportunity to apply for FX-322 as a Breakthrough Therapy.

If Phase-2A produces as clinically significant results as the Phase 1/2, then they would be within the inclusion criteria (if I am understanding correctly). This would enable Freq to further expedite the development process.

Source: https://www.fda.gov/patients/fast-t...approval-priority-review/breakthrough-therapy
We talked about this a few pages back but never saw the exact classification termed "Breakthrough Therapy." Very cool, thank you for the source. Possibly something to amend in the letter to Dr. Woodcock, @FGG?

I can only speculate on what the exact impact is of damage to the stria vascularis. I know it is an essential supporting function required to make hair cells function. Hair cells can be perfectly intact, but will do nothing if the stria vascularis doesn't work. They will simply not generate the action potential and therefore not send any signal to the spiral ganglion cells.

I would suspect though it's probably not the first area that gets damaged by ototoxins. Most people will not have any damage in this region. It's more than likely not damaged if you can still hear music clearly.

Most common cochlear damage I suspect is:
1. Synapse reduction or synaptopathy
2. OHC damage or death
3. IHC damage or death
4. Auditory nerve damage
5. Supporting cells
6. Stria Vascularis cells
7. Other

The problem with ototoxins is that they can basically destroy every cell they encounter, depending on their exact toxicity levels.

Sound or let's say vibrations can only kill what is susceptible to high pressure, but poison is a different ball game.
Do you have any sources on the stria and how it affects music? All I am finding so far is that, in addition to ototoxicity, stria damage and atrophy seems related to age-related hearing loss and the loss of endocochlear potential seems to not only cause hair cell damage over time, it apparently seems to produce audiogram changes as well.

I've been looking into it and it actually looks like ototoxic damage could be somewhat mitigated by the BLB—a defense unavailable to acoustic-trauma induced tinnitus.

"Since hair cell loss occurs directly after noise exposure and SGN degeneration follows a much longer time course, this degeneration was believed to occur secondarily to hair cell loss (Stankovic et al., 2004; Kujawa and Liberman, 2009). However, evidence suggests that primary SGN loss can occur in the absence of hair cell loss over a period of several months to years after noise exposure (Kujawa and Liberman, 2006, 2009; Lin et al., 2011)."

Maybe OHC loss in the presence of intact corresponding SGN's leads to the presence of tinnitus, and the reason some experience complete remission is due to the eventual death of the SGN's? Just a theory. This stuff is super tough to digest and to be honest it makes me a little sick.

Source: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fncel.2019.00285/full#B77

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now