• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

We can't buy stock from Audion, can we?

Anyone else keeping an eye on the Frequency Therapeutics stock? It's not too high at the moment.
I don't think so. I have also been checking Frequency Therapeutics stock as well. It was around $23 last time I checked.

I don't think so. I have also been checking Frequency Therapeutics stock as well. It was around $23 last time I checked.
They opened at $19.50 a share today. I'm honestly debating getting some more, though the price swings lately have been really big. I'd hate to get some and then watch it drop over the next few weeks. From what I can tell, the next big news that will affect the stock will be Audion's phase II results around April 3rd. However, it's unclear to me how positive/negative news would affect things. Bad results would mean FX-322 would be the only game in town - but since the two drugs are very similar, it could also mean bad news for FX-322. Really good news could mean Audion's drug is better and it will be at the market sooner. Middle-of-the-road news could mean anything. And how other people interpret the results is up in the air.

Also, strangely, I never saw Frequency Therapeutics releasing their Q4 results from last year. Not sure if that's coming soon or why that would be delayed.

Frequency Therapeutics said they'd be releasing the top line results from their Phase II study in the second half of this year, which is only 3 months away, though somewhere I remember reading that September was when this would probably happen.

They opened at $19.50 a share today. I'm honestly debating getting some more, though the price swings lately have been really big. I'd hate to get some and then watch it drop over the next few weeks. From what I can tell, the next big news that will affect the stock will be Audion's phase II results around April 3rd. However, it's unclear to me how positive/negative news would affect things. Bad results would mean FX-322 would be the only game in town - but since the two drugs are very similar, it could also mean bad news for FX-322. Really good news could mean Audion's drug is better and it will be at the market sooner. Middle-of-the-road news could mean anything. And how other people interpret the results is up in the air.

Also, strangely, I never saw Frequency Therapeutics releasing their Q4 results from last year. Not sure if that's coming soon or why that would be delayed.

Frequency Therapeutics said they'd be releasing the top line results from their Phase II study in the second half of this year, which is only 3 months away, though somewhere I remember reading that September was when this would probably happen.
I would assume if Audion/Regain results are positive that would definitely increase the share price of Frequency Therapeutics.

Reading through that slidedeck, I noticed that it mentioned that there was "No change in untreated ear" for the Phase I study. I wonder if they're also just treating 1 ear for the phase II study. I feel like it would kind of be annoying to have hearing regenerated in just 1 ear. It's also really interesting to see that people who took the placebo had minor improvements, it's so strange that that would happen - though FX-322 patients had continuous improvements and signicantly better ones, so that's reassuring.

Reading through that slidedeck, I noticed that it mentioned that there was "No change in untreated ear" for the Phase I study. I wonder if they're also just treating 1 ear for the phase II study. I feel like it would kind of be annoying to have hearing regenerated in just 1 ear. It's also really interesting to see that people who took the placebo had minor improvements, it's so strange that that would happen - though FX-322 patients had continuous improvements and signicantly better ones, so that's reassuring.
They are treating just one ear and blinding the audiologist as to which one.

These studies really need to allow participants to receive the real drug after getting placebo, and/or have the treatment injected into both ears. I'm sure they'd have many more participants, and therefore more data about their respective drugs.

These studies really need to allow participants to receive the real drug after getting placebo, and/or have the treatment injected into both ears. I'm sure they'd have many more participants, and therefore more data about their respective drugs.
Majority of the patients do end up receiving the real dose. I think it's a 75% chance at getting the real dose.

I do think they should have tested it for both ears but the reason why they did it in one ear only is to see the side effects and efficacy of the drug. Maybe after Phase 2a they test it for both ears.

One topic I have not yet seen discussed that I've been curious to hear everyone's thoughts on... How robust do you think the improvements FX-322 could offer might be?

Let's be optimistic and say it improves or eliminates one's tinnitus. Do you believe they would be at an elevated risk of tinnitus or hearing loss recurrence compared to someone who never had it? Would there be any reason to believe that individual couldn't return to reasonable or "normal" noise levels safely? I understand how the drug works from a 30,000 feet view, but I can't say I'm an expert on the mechanisms and biology of the inner ear. Perhaps the idea of new hair cells or hearing improvements from FX-322 being any more "at risk" or delicate than normal ears/hearing is a non-issue?

To pose the question in a slightly more relatable way... If FX-322 eliminated your tinnitus, would you feel comfortable driving in a car with the windows down? Hanging out with friends at a bar :beeranimation:? Walking alongside traffic? Working out with headphones in the gym :headphone:?

I'm sure most of us will forever keep a pair of ear plugs close by no matter what the future of regenerative medicine holds :D, but would you trust the improvements of FX-322, or other future therapies, enough to partake in these sorts of daily situations and noise levels without worry?

Love to hear any and all thoughts!

One topic I have not yet seen discussed that I've been curious to hear everyone's thoughts on... How robust do you think the improvements FX-322 could offer might be?

Let's be optimistic and say it improves or eliminates one's tinnitus. Do you believe they would be at an elevated risk of tinnitus or hearing loss recurrence compared to someone who never had it? Would there be any reason to believe that individual couldn't return to reasonable or "normal" noise levels safely? I understand how the drug works from a 30,000 feet view, but I can't say I'm an expert on the mechanisms and biology of the inner ear. Perhaps the idea of new hair cells or hearing improvements from FX-322 being any more "at risk" or delicate than normal ears/hearing is a non-issue?

To pose the question in a slightly more relatable way... If FX-322 eliminated your tinnitus, would you feel comfortable driving in a car with the windows down? Hanging out with friends at a bar :beeranimation:? Walking alongside traffic? Working out with headphones in the gym :headphone:?

I'm sure most of us will forever keep a pair of ear plugs close by no matter what the future of regenerative medicine holds :D, but would you trust the improvements of FX-322, or other future therapies, enough to partake in these sorts of daily situations and noise levels without worry?

If it did end up getting rid of our tinnitus and hyperacusis I will definitely be more careful around loud sounds but also I wouldn't avoid everyday sounds. I think if it were to go away I would still protect myself from clubs, concerts, blenders, vacuum cleaners etc.

The only thing I'm not too sure about is would people still protect their ears when they are going on a flight. You might feel like it might not be loud but it could cause the tinnitus or hyperacusis to come back.

But I think people would test it out on certain noises and see if they react as each person's tolerance is different. Basically I would try to slowly build exposure to sounds back and see which sounds affect me or not.

Each person may need more doses than others. So one dose might get rid of someone's tinnitus whereas others might need multiple doses to get rid of it. Basically a trial and error approach.

I'm hoping that with the right concentration and dosages it will have the ability to "fill in all the cracks" and bring us all up to 0 dB on our audiograms, across the board. I seriously hope that a second formulation comes along and will address the low frequencies as well. And I seriously hope that second formulation doesn't require a complete new round of clinical trials.

I see no reason for the regenerated hair cells to be more fragile. On the contrary, I'd expect them to be stronger than many of your original remaining hair cells that have probably been weakened from a life of use/abuse.

I would still protect the crap out of my regenerated ears. I will never take my hearing for granted ever again. Any environment over 80 dB I will be using earplugs, for the rest of my life. No screwin' around.

Well I truly don't mean to sound snarky but I've got pretty severe tinnitus (24/7 over everything -traffic, shower, loud rooms - sometimes on a bad day when it is real loud it is even difficult to hear speech) and I currently feel comfortable walking along traffic, or driving with my windows down, working out with headphones at a gym, or hanging out with people in a bar, I draw the line at live music though, I use earplugs for that. I mean I hear my god forsaken crackle, screech, and crickets over everything, but I still go about my life the best I can, so I imagine I'd still do so after FX-322 saves my soul. But I'm weird, so I might not be a good example.

If FX-322 eliminated your tinnitus, would you feel comfortable driving in a car with the windows down? Hanging out with friends at a bar :beeranimation:? Walking alongside traffic? Working out with headphones in the gym :headphone:?

I'm sure most of us will forever keep a pair of ear plugs close by no matter what the future of regenerative medicine holds
You bet!

The experience of tinnitus has forever changed the way I experience loud sounds. I will always take better care of my hearing, knowing how fragile it can be... and how precious silence is.

I will keep my plugs with me. I would go to concerts (smaller venues), but NEVER without my -30dB custom plugs. Same for cinema or very loud restaurants. Anything that had a chance of Lc peaks of over a 100dB. Same for power tools... never will I drill another hole without my trusted Peltors. I never should have in the first place.

That said, I think I would start using headphones again. But at a lower volume and never for prolonged periods. 6 hour sessions (work and commute) were no exceptions for me. Also: I would keep using the built in dB cap from iOS. I think the os even warns you these days.

I just love all those delicate details of music too much to deny myself that.

In short: I would regard my regained silence as a miracle / gift and would never take it for granted again.

Others?

FX-322 could be expensive, I would not want to be continually shelling out.

I would protect my ears like the crown jewels. I do now.

I would want to eventually be in a position similar to those tribes men who have avoided modern life with impeccable hearing.

Once bitten, twice shy.

If this thing were to eliminate my tinnitus I would go to the countryside and live there for the rest of my life. I love peace and quite, so would not miss much about the noisy world. Never want to see the inside of a gym ever again and hate bars anyway. I would probably have to take a flight or two again though, but only with my trusted muffs.

Yes, I believe I/we would be at more risk of tinnitus or hearing loss recurrence compared to someone who has never had it, but that's not necessarily only to do with the possible fragility of the new hair cells, but that fact that we may have naturally more delicate ears anyway or are predisposed in some other way to getting problems with our hearing.

I think we are moving into a world where we wear headphones and buds a lot of the time. That's a double-edged sword. It gives us a chance to ruin our hearing with loud music, but with active and passive noise cancellation they can also protect us from outside noise. I know that I'd exercise due care if I had a second chance at good hearing.

If it did end up getting rid of our tinnitus and hyperacusis I will definitely be more careful around loud sounds but also I wouldn't avoid everyday sounds. I think if it were to go away I would still protect myself from clubs, concerts, blenders, vacuum cleaners etc.

The only thing I'm not too sure about is would people still protect their ears when they are going on a flight. You might feel like it might
That's very much where I think/hope I'd land. As far as airplanes, I'd probably just as soon wear muffs or plugs. Not like I'd be doing much us else anyway, plus taking them off/out for a few minutes if needed would be easy.
I would still protect the crap out of my regenerated ears. I will never take my hearing for granted ever again. Any environment over 80 dB I will be using earplugs, for the rest of my life. No screwin' around.
You bet!

The experience of tinnitus has forever changed the way I experience loud sounds. I will always take better care of my hearing, knowing how fragile it can be... and how precious silence is.

I will keep my plugs with me. I would go to concerts (smaller venues), but NEVER without my -30dB custom plugs. Same for cinema or very loud restaurants. Anything that had a chance of Lc peaks of over a 100dB. Same for power tools... never will I drill another hole without my trusted Peltors. I never should have in the first place.

That said, I think I would start using headphones again. But at a lower volume and never for prolonged periods. 6 hour sessions (work and commute) were no exceptions for me. Also: I would keep using the built in dB cap from iOS. I think the os even warns you these days.

I just love all those delicate details of music too much to deny myself that.

In short: I would regard my regained silence as a miracle / gift and would never take it for granted again.

Others?
I think it will settle naturally as your confidence grows. Hard noises I will avoid for the rest of my life though.
I think we are moving into a world where we wear headphones and buds a lot of the time. That's a double-edged sword. It gives us a chance to ruin our hearing with loud music, but with active and passive noise cancellation they can also protect us from outside noise. I know that I'd exercise due care if I had a second chance at good hearing.
Pretty much my same sentiments!
Well I truly don't mean to sound snarky but I've got pretty severe tinnitus (24/7 over everything -traffic, shower, loud rooms - sometimes on a bad day when it is real loud it is even difficult to hear speech) and I currently feel comfortable walking along traffic, or driving with my windows down, working out with headphones at a gym, or hanging out with people in a bar, I draw the line at live music though, I use earplugs for that. I mean I hear my god forsaken crackle, screech, and crickets over everything, but I still go about my life the best I can, so I imagine I'd still do so after FX-322 saves my soul. But I'm weird, so I might not be a good example.
No snarkyness detected! I like hearing about everyone's different perspectives and circumstances :)(y)
FX-322 could be expensive, I would not want to be continually shelling out.

I would protect my ears like the crown jewels. I do now.

I would want to eventually be in a position similar to those tribes men who have avoided modern life with impeccable hearing.
Yes! I've always found those studies of older people's hearing in non-industrialized places very interesting!
Once bitten, twice shy.

If this thing were to eliminate my tinnitus I would go to the countryside and live there for the rest of my life. I love peace and quite, so would not miss much about the noisy world. Never want to see the inside of a gym ever again and hate bars anyway. I would probably have to take a flight or two again though, but only with my trusted muffs.

Yes, I believe I/we would be at more risk of tinnitus or hearing loss recurrence compared to someone who has never had it, but that's not necessarily only to do with the possible fragility of the new hair cells, but that fact that we may have naturally more delicate ears anyway or are predisposed in some other way to getting problems with our hearing.
I wouldn't mind doing the same. But I couldn't do it without a gym. Wouldn't need the noise of other people or the generic radio music like at my current one though :D

I really enjoyed reading though all your responses. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!:thankyousign:

Looks like Biogen may have been a different conference in Boston the same week as Cowen so Frequency staff would not be under Corona virus quarantine.

I think that you will still have to be very, very careful. Remember that the underlying cause/predisposition to maladaptive plasticity in your brain that led to tinnitus in the first place isn't being fixed. Only the cochlear input. Whatever has gone wrong with regards to our gating mechanisms is still in place even after new hair cells/synapses are formed.

Imo it's not worth the gamble to get everything fixed and then try and go back to a "loud" life. You'll find me chilling in the park on weekends if the screeching stops.

And lol I think I'll need a double dose of FX-322 and talking therapy - I'll probably still have a lingering fear of noise haunting me forever lmao.
Interesting speculations about the cost - I wonder how long it would take to become available under a system like the NHS in the UK. Although I would probably just fly out and pay for it anyway asap.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now