• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

When I had ear injections, the ENT who did them made the case that putting anesthetic in the ear was as painful as getting the injection itself, and would introduce yet another poke in the ear, so why bother? Made sense to me so we did them without the anesthetic and it wasn't a problem. Not sure if that relates to potential FX-322 administration, but perhaps. :dunno:
When I got an IT injection, the ENT gave me an anesthetic shot right behind the ear lobe in that soft spot behind the ear. He waited a few minutes, then he did the IT injection in my ear drum. No pain after the anesthetic took effect.

When I had ear injections, the ENT who did them made the case that putting anesthetic in the ear was as painful as getting the injection itself, and would introduce yet another poke in the ear, so why bother? Made sense to me so we did them without the anesthetic and it wasn't a problem. Not sure if that relates to potential FX-322 administration, but perhaps. :dunno:
Did you have injections of steroids for tinnitus?

If FX-322 is on course to be the emancipator in curing mild to moderate hearing loss, meaning restoring clarity and raising word scores by up to 30%, and I believe it will, then the pain of the injection would be the outermost event from my mind.
Absolutely.

I would also say, at least in my experience getting IT injections, they weren't painful. It's a strange sensation, having something injected into your ear - disorienting, as you experience a temporary whoosh of vertigo - but not "painful."

You just feel like you're on a roller coaster for 30 seconds, and then you lie there on your side for about 30 minutes.

Easy peasy.

Over the past few years I've had multiple corticosteroid injections into various nerves throughout my body, some more painful than others. My anesthetist made the exact same case and I also feel this is good advice.

It's possible... But 99.999 percent of those will adapt and habituate again... It might also be temporary but again it should quiet down after a while.

I started this thread almost 4 years ago when I still had some hearing left... I'm now in the 110 dB loss range in anything after about 1 kHz... and 50 dB below 1 kHz.

If I can adapt, anyone can adapt!
Did you have sudden hearing loss?

Is tinnitus worse when it's from hearing loss or from noise exposure?

If FX-322 is on course to be the emancipator in curing mild to moderate hearing loss, meaning restoring clarity and raising word scores by up to 30%, and I believe it will, then the pain of the injection would be the outermost event from my mind.
That would be wonderful. I hope it goes even further than that, and I am sure Frequency Therapeutics will work to improve it.

The thing that I would find interesting is to know what the pain response is to the intratympanic injection. I would assume that some people will have no reaction while others will find it excruciating. Will be interesting. I would be happy to deal with it if it is a successful medicine.

That would be wonderful. I hope it goes even further than that, and I am sure Frequency Therapeutics will work to improve it.

The thing that I would find interesting is to know what the pain response is to the intratympanic injection. I would assume that some people will have no reaction while others will find it excruciating. Will be interesting. I would be happy to deal with it if it is a successful medicine.
I really do not think that pain will be an issue. A few years back I had a root canal procedure and it was painless and ended up disposing of the pain medication they had prescribed for me to take home. It's quite amazing that today the medical profession has come a long way to ease any pain of what were once dreaded procedures.

I really think any one who is overly worried about the IT injection part of this is blowing it way out of proportion.

It does look and seems kind of scary, (I've had it done 6 times now by 3 different doctors) but it is very much just like Jack V describes - a bit of numbing gel on the eardrum (which is slightly uncomfortable for a few seconds) and then the injection, (which I actually have found to be less painful than a normal shot) combined with a feeling of having your ear filled up with water, and 30 seconds to a minute of vertigo. Then you just sit/lay there on your side and try not to swallow for 30 minutes, and then go home.

The entire scary/uncomfortable part lasts less than a minute and is less painful than my usual scheduled dental cleaning (and I'm enough of a wimp that I always request the "nice" hygienist).

Good stuff. It will be interesting to see how the market reacts to the range of improvements measured in the 2x and 4x dose groups.
I was in at $18. Bought and sold regularly with the fluctuations and made about £1500 in doing so. I'm in it for the Long Term though.

First and foremost, I'm in it for helping us all. Making profits is my second aim.

I'm guessing they have their Progenitor Cell Activation approach patented? I'm just wondering, say if PCA is successful in treating hearing loss, then MS, and they also state they are looking to apply it to other degenerative conditions, how easy would it be for competitors to 'copy' their method of PCA?

Also, I'm aware this is work that's come from Bob Langer and Jeff Karp, are they involved In this company/on the board/significant shareholders?

I was in at $18. Bought and sold regularly with the fluctuations and made about £1500 in doing so. I'm in it for the Long Term though.

First and foremost, I'm in it for helping us all. Making profits is my second aim.

I'm guessing they have their Progenitor Cell Activation approach patented? I'm just wondering, say if PCA is successful in treating hearing loss, then MS, and they also state they are looking to apply it to other degenerative conditions, how easy would it be for competitors to 'copy' their method of PCA?

Also, I'm aware this is work that's come from Bob Langer and Jeff Karp, are they involved In this company/on the board/significant shareholders?
Based on findings from the USPTO, it looks like they aren't able to broadly patent "Progenitor Cell Activation" but can patent the methods as it relates to specific conditions. Under the USPTO search, they have a number of patents secured relating to PCA formulations and hearing loss, assuming one or more of these is FX-322.

They also have patent applications filed for using a formulation for regenerating head "hair follicles." So, it stands to reason that they are actively looking to apply the PCA approach to other conditions (many "opportunities" that PCA may help are mentioned in their presentation.)

It's highly likely that they are well ahead of the curve (internal knowledge, research, etc) on their approach for copycats to exist in the United States. Also, they have a basis for prior are protection if FX-322 as a PCA drug works as anticipated. I am not a lawyer, so there may be a loophole.

Based on findings from the USPTO, it looks like they aren't able to broadly patent "Progenitor Cell Activation" but can patent the methods as it relates to specific conditions. Under the USPTO search, they have a number of patents secured relating to PCA formulations and hearing loss, assuming one or more of these is FX-322.

They also have patent applications filed for using a formulation for regenerating head "hair follicles." So, it stands to reason that they are actively looking to apply the PCA approach to other conditions (many "opportunities" that PCA may help are mentioned in their presentation.)

It's highly likely that they are well ahead of the curve (internal knowledge, research, etc) on their approach for copycats to exist in the United States. Also, they have a basis for prior are protection if FX-322 as a PCA drug works as anticipated. I am not a lawyer, so there may be a loophole.
In Australia (and also in US as they use virtually identical rules), you cannot patent broad items and concepts such as Progenitor Cell Activation and prevent people from using them with exclusive rights. You can however patent something which employs a broad or generic item or concept in the design of your product like PCA, providing there is a specific and also unique aspect combined into it. The unique and specific aspect is what gives rise to the ability to patent something. This nexus is made when Frequency Therapeutics got FX-322 to use the broad treatment being PCA to target specifically the inner ear.

The Australian laws regarding patents is applied consistently in most jurisdictions I know of such as New Zealand, UK, Canada and US. The law is consistent across most countries when it comes to patents so the rights of the entity holding the patent can be easily enforced in disputes. This enables countries to confidently demonstrate that they will protect each other's proprietary rights. Further this demonstrates that if something is patented for example in the US and is copied in Australia (or vice versa) that the patent will be consistently enforced under foreign laws. Even countries clearly known to have issues surrounding copyright/patent infringements such as China are also actively willing to enforce patents from other jurisdictions.

It is likely Frequency Therapeutics' claim for a patent over PCA was rejected for not only being too broad of a concept but also because by preventing other firms using a broad concept such as PCA in their approach to medical development is to the detriment of all. Patenting PCA inevitably restricts innovation in medicine development being made because no other firm can produce medicines harnessing PCA for release until the patent has expired. This ultimately would contradict the very purpose of a patent because instead of encouraging innovation by offering protection for specific, innovative and novel ideas, it actively discourages it through disallowing firms to use PCA to create targeted treatments other than Frequency Therapeutics.

The question now which I am sure you would want to be answered is what Frequency Therapeutics' patent for either Multiple Sclerosis or FX-322 means. The answer is that this will mean that Frequency Therapeutics has an exclusive right over this treatment type for the duration of the patent (20 years). This means any attempt to try and copy a patented treatment like FX-322 will very likely infringe the patent.

The downside to this is that there is a highly limited ability for a potentially improved product similar to FX-322 getting released or even possibly developed by a competing firm for the patent's duration. This is due to Frequency Therapeutics having exclusive control over this treatment type. A good working Australian example of this was the Hills Hoist clothesline which was much improved on the patented Toyne clothesline. Because Hills Hoist's product used multiple elements of the design of the Toyne clothesline and the Toyne clothesline was still patented, it meant Hills Hoist had to defer its release until the patent expired.

Referring specifically to FX-322 this means if a competitor hypothetically created an identical single shot treatment which provided the same benefit as six FX-322 shots, we will almost certainly not see this released until Frequency Therapeutics' patent expires.

The only way around this would be:
  • To change the medication in some manner to make it have different properties or use a different form of treatment to FX-322 (very difficult to employ such argument if multiple patents covering Frequency Therapeutics' approach are granted)
  • For Frequency Therapeutics to make these improvements internally and release a revised medicine
  • Or for an outside party who has improved the treatment to provide it to Frequency Therapeutics and allow Frequency Therapeutics to release this.

Thankfully there seems to be a keen interest from Frequency Therapeutics to improve the medication so hopefully this will enable us to overcome these concerns and limitations.

Frequency Therapeutics is at an amazing advantage by pioneering the concept of PCA because it inevitably means that they have a huge head start on creating novel and also unique treatments which harness PCA. Thus they can develop these and therefore patent these before their competitors can. This however does not mean that Frequency Therapeutics will be the only firm to provide treatments that utilise PCA as there is nothing stopping competitors creating treatments and applying for patents.

https://www.tipranks.com/news/artic...stocks-can-deliver-big-returns-for-investors/

It appears Goldman Sachs is onto Frequency therapeutics. $34 price target and that's just for starters if FX-322 works.
Thanks for that link, I think I'll get on board. FX-322 looks promising and investors have practically financed it through 2023, as well, there is minimal debt with Frequency Therapeutics. IF Fx-322 works that means their other potential treatments of degenerative diseases could point to success.

Thanks for that link, I think I'll get on board. FX-322 looks promising and investors have practically financed it through 2023, as well, there is minimal debt with Frequency Therapeutics. IF Fx-322 works that means their other potential treatments of degenerative diseases could point to success.
The PCA concept could do quite well I think. I tend to believe that they have hit a huge winner.

It will be very interesting to see how this works with other treatments such as multiple sclerosis and baldness. While FX-322 is their inaugural product and at this time I am absolutely certain that Frequency Therapeutics will make it succeed, I still strongly believe that they will have multiple magnificent and successful medicines/treatments over time.

I want to invest as well, but I'm not sure about the entry point.

Do you think there is going to be a second market crash in autumn?

What are the chances? Or do you think inflation is going to hit straight ahead without pullback?

What are the chances? Or do you think inflation is going to hit straight ahead without pullback?
Entry price doesn't matter too much here. If FX-322 will get approval, it doesn't matter whether you bought at 22 or 15 as the stock price will be significantly higher. The same is when the product fails in clinical trials, you will lose most of your money in both cases.

No one can accurately predict the market. When COVID-19 struck the US, people were saying that we were going to enter a long bear market, but that only lasted 33 days. It's certainly possible there could be a crash in autumn, but maybe the market will be even higher.

If you've in for the long run, I would just go ahead and get some shares. Worry about the price after the release of the Phase 2a results. Unless you're planning on selling in the short term, the price right now doesn't matter that much.

However, if you want my personal opinion, I see the stock price going up as we enter the fall. The company has 4 big events planned for September and October:
  • American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery 2020 Meeting and OTO Experience: September 13 – 16, 2020
  • Cantor Fitzgerald Virtual Global Healthcare Conference: September 15 – 17, 2020
  • Oppenheimer Healthcare Fall Summit: September 22 – 23, 2020
  • 2020 Cell and Gene Meeting on the Mesa: October 12 – 16, 2020
Each time they do one of these it seems to drum up interest in the company. Also, in May they mentioned that the Phase 2a study was half full (I believe they had 47 patients). That would mean the last of these people would be exiting the study in November. It appears there's going to be a dearth of news between November and May (when they release the full Phase 2a results). They may release interim results during this time period - however, this is pure speculation.

Anyway, my recommendation would just be to get some if you're interested. I bought in last November at just under $16 a share and then bought some more a few months ago when it was $20 a share.

The price dropped around $15 during the months of COVID-19. I think we won't see that price again personally. If phase 2a is positive the price should increase as excitement builds. Only invest as much as you are prepared to lose. This is a high risk investment but the reward can be huge. It's not investing so to be speak; it's speculating for now.

I'm curious how many shares everybody owns but I guess that's a personal question that people may not want to answer.

You can hedge your bets, wait and also observe if there are changes to the market based upon what happens. Alternatively you can invest now if you are satisfied with the price and providing that you are also willing to risk the money you put in.

What you need to consider with investing is whether you would be prepared to lose the amount you have invested. If you are ok with losing it all, then invest. If you are not willing to lose everything then obviously do not invest.

One of the other things to consider is even in times of recessions and/or market crashes is that if a company succeeds then the value in the stock will appreciate regardless.

Perhaps a silly question, as I may miss something. As I understand, FX-322 is aimed at hearing regeneration. Now, for this purpose we can use hearing aids. But in many tinnitus (with hearing loss) cases, hearing aids are not advised or not helping. So, wouldn't the effect of FX-322 be the same? Would it be a way to check if FX-322 could help by trying a hearing aid first?

But in many tinnitus (with hearing loss) cases, hearing aids are not advised or not helping. So, wouldn't the effect of FX-322 be the same? Would it be a way to check if FX-322 could help by trying a hearing aid first?
No because hearing aids usually only amplify sounds in the lower frequency ranges, probably from 20 Hz to max 8000 Hz, and even then most hearing aids are not properly tuned to the individual's audiogram.

FX-322 aims to treat the higher frequencies and hidden hearing loss, aka above 8000 Hz, because of the belief that these higher frequencies actually do matter in everyday hearing. It is also widely believed that tinnitus is caused due to these frequencies missing and so by repairing these hair cells and nerve synapses (other drugs aim to do the latter, not FX-322) it is believed that the tinnitus will either be reduced or go away.

Note: I believe FX-322 actually aims to repair hair cells at all frequencies, however currently it seems like it is most effect at the 8000 Hz + range.

The price dropped around $15 during the months of COVID-19. I think we won't see that price again personally. If phase 2a is positive the price should increase as excitement builds. Only invest as much as you are prepared to lose. This is a high risk investment but the reward can be huge. It's not investing so to be speak; it's speculating for now.

I'm curious how many shares everybody owns but I guess that's a personal question that people may not want to answer.
I think the price of $15 per share won't be happening if they continue to have positive results and release FX-322 out in the market.

Perhaps a silly question, as I may miss something. As I understand, FX-322 is aimed at hearing regeneration. Now, for this purpose we can use hearing aids. But in many tinnitus (with hearing loss) cases, hearing aids are not advised or not helping. So, wouldn't the effect of FX-322 be the same? Would it be a way to check if FX-322 could help by trying a hearing aid first?
Hearing aid is like a masking device by playing back background noises at a louder volume to drown out your tinnitus. If your tinnitus can be masked, then hearing aids can help. If your tinnitus is loud, then hearing aids will not help unless you want to tune up your hearing aid so loud that it will damage your overall hearing. In other words, hearing aid does not address the root of the issue, which is some physiological or neurological damage to your ears.

FX-322 is trying to heal your ears by restoring cochlear hair cells. We have yet to know if this will help tinnitus because hearing interference and tinnitus are correlated symptoms and not a cause and effect relationship; not everyone with hearing loss has tinnitus and not every one that have tinnitus have hearing loss.

We just have to wait and see.

EDIT:
@Markku Can we have a sticky thread that addresses the most commonly sought answers to tinnitus? As someone who has recently joined this forum 2 months ago, I also went through this forum like a magnifying glass trying to find answers through dozens of threads and hundreds of post just to find what I want.

Perhaps a FAQ sticky thread that addresses: 1) current models of tinnitus, 2) different subsets of tinnitus and their hypothesized causes, 3) current pseudo treatments and how it works (like hearing aids, masking devices, etc), 4) current research and and their aims, 5) how each treatment is targeting a specific subsets of tinnitus.

Perhaps a FAQ sticky thread that addresses: 1) current models of tinnitus, 2) different subsets of tinnitus and their hypothesized causes, 3) current pseudo treatments and how it works (like hearing aids, masking devices, etc), 4) current research and and their aims, 5) how each treatment is targeting a specific subsets of tinnitus.
It's a great idea, certainly not new to us though. We've been wanting to do this for years, but it requires some serious dedication and resources to put together something truly useful and informative, not to mention easy to follow and understand.

We've tried many times to recruit volunteers to work on resources like this and invariably they will produce a little bit and then disappear (sorry if I sound cynical, but this is our experience).

You will be happy to hear though that I am working on something together with two PhD students, you can read more about it here. I am confident we'll get something good and publishable in a few months or so, but the students and myself are doing this in our spare time, so please be patient.

It's been a while since I've posted this, but I think it needs to be near the top again:

Tinnitus Talk Podcast:

Re: Patients that received FX-322 in the Phase 1/2 trial.

"... there is anecdotal reports as patients have come back and visited with ENTs when they have had conversations with them about how they are doing. Some of them have offered that they have had improvements in tinnitus, there's nothing that we can quantitate there. Again, it adds to the excitement of the opportunity. "

- Carl LeBel, Frequency Therapeutics

No because hearing aids usually only amplify sounds in the lower frequency ranges, probably from 20 Hz to max 8000 Hz, and even then most hearing aids are not properly tuned to the individual's audiogram.

FX-322 aims to treat the higher frequencies and hidden hearing loss, aka above 8000 Hz, because of the belief that these higher frequencies actually do matter in everyday hearing. It is also widely believed that tinnitus is caused due to these frequencies missing and so by repairing these hair cells and nerve synapses (other drugs aim to do the latter, not FX-322) it is believed that the tinnitus will either be reduced or go away.

Note: I believe FX-322 actually aims to repair hair cells at all frequencies, however currently it seems like it is most effect at the 8000 Hz + range.
I think the idea that FX-322 is only effectively working at 8 kHz+ is actually somewhat misguided and premature at this stage.

So far, it seems fairly logical and also obvious that the treatment will target the higher frequencies first based on the way which we know the cochlear works. We also know this was assumed to have occurred after considering the results in the phase 1/2 trial. What we also know is FX-322 worked to regrow cells across the board when evaluated in the lab. Hence we cannot assume that Frequency Therapeutics' treatment aim is to only target the upper frequencies, as the trial outcome actually directly contradicts what Frequency Therapeutics' lab outcome was. Furthermore, looking at the various information releases we have had from Frequency Therapeutics indicates that their aim is to treat not just the very high frequencies but treat all the frequencies.

As a result, I think that there are some who incorrectly think that Frequency Therapeutics are wanting FX-322 to treat the upper frequencies exclusively. People are making these claims solely off the outcomes in the phase 1/2 safety trial. This is all while ignoring the fact that Frequency Therapeutics have employed a different dosing regime in the current trial and that the statements made by Frequency Therapeutics relating to FX-322 also are not indicative of the fact.

Not even Frequency Therapeutics knows at this time what the treatment is able to do in humans since they are currently investigating methods to provide wider performance with FX-322. Frequency Therapeutics have actually not made definitive claims regarding FX-322 and its performance yet since it is incredibly premature to do so.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now