• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

Wired magazine just ran an expose on Prevagen. You'd think the way the system works would filter out snake oil by now but it doesn't. I'd want to verify through independent testimonials before I really get my hopes up above "cautiously optimistic".
With all due respect, apples and oranges. Frequency Therapeutics is sourcing FDA-approved Clinical Trial data; and providing SEC-compliant information. Prior approvals take place with this type of information.

Quincy never had Prevagen FDA approved to begin with; nor are they are publicly traded company; so far less regulation.

I acknowledge the need for independent testimonials; however that is the job of the FDA and its approved Independent Investigator, and Independent Outcomes Assessor on the FX-322 trials. This is how we know Frequency Therapeutics is already citing independently reviews/certified information.

Wired magazine just ran an expose on Prevagen. You'd think the way the system works would filter out snake oil by now but it doesn't. I'd want to verify through independent testimonials before I really get my hopes up above "cautiously optimistic".
Supplements are different. As long as the claims are vague the FDA allows this and does not regulate (unfortunately in the case of scams though overregulating supplements would have drawbacks).

Until there's more data or widespread use, what they put out will be the most accurate. I would take any testimonial you find with a grain of salt. That was a big mistake in the discussion around OTO-313. A user came on here claiming they must have had the real thing and said it was poison, but then it turned out they had the placebo and the drug in fact worked.

At this pace...

I'd wager:

2021: Breakthrough Designation
2022: Pivotal Phase
2023: FDA Approval
I think that this is quite feasible, however I wouldn't be surprised if Frequency Therapeutics got the treatment released under compassionate use early if it is successful --- even if it is not as successful compared to what they can get out there post the pivotal trial. How FDA is seemingly increasing its approvals for medicine to get fast tracked and also with their willingness to allow compassionate use more, I don't see the FDA being hesitant to release successful hearing medicines. Particularly when this is an area with no treatment options currently available and also that it will provide great benefit.

I don't see the FDA withholding a release if it is the case that FX-322 is effective and also actually provides benefit. At this point, I am also of the opinion that Frequency Therapeutics will also want to release FX-322 as quickly as possible so they can start attaining revenue from the sales.
Supplements are different. As long as the claims are vague the FDA allows this and does not regulate (unfortunately in the case of scams though overregulating supplements would have drawbacks).
Not to mention that nowadays a high proportion of those magazines are really just infomercials in print form and as a result the scientific validity of the articles they publish is questionable.
So FX-322 will be out in 2023 and not earlier?
Not at all. At this stage the questions which need to be answered are:

1. Whether FX-322's phase 2 results comply with the FDA requirements to obtain compassionate use. If they do, then Frequency Therapeutics can apply to the FDA to allow people to use the medicine under the right to try provision.

2. The next question is whether Frequency Therapeutics would allow people to obtain FX-322 for compassionate use. Frequency Therapeutics has stated that they would consider revisiting compassionate use access when this became an appropriate and/or relevant option to consider. Consequently if compassionate use was granted then treatment could start post phase 2.

Therefore there tends to be a reasonable probability that FX-322 could be released prior to the trial process being completed. Currently I do not think that there would be any desire for Frequency Therapeutics to flat out refuse to allow compassionate access as they wouldn't be willing to consider this otherwise. Therefore I think that there could be a real possibility that FX-322 may get released earlier/prior to phase 3.
Until there's more data or widespread use, what they put out will be the most accurate. I would take any testimonial you find with a grain of salt. That was a big mistake in the discussion around OTO-313. A user came on here claiming they must have had the real thing and said it was poison, but then it turned out they had the placebo and the drug in fact worked.
A lot of these testimonials that turn up in these magazines are actually also designed to simply advertise and/or promote a particular product. Pretty sure that we can just look at the Lenire article as a good example of how you can try and convince people a treatment works under the guise of supposed scientific research. Frequency Therapeutics is not looking to do that and actually has seemingly neither be interested in nor worried whether stuff about FX-322 gets published from how I perceive things to be.

I really think that this tells us a lot about Frequency Therapeutics too because they are only interested in information which is seemingly objective and verified. Same can be said with what we have seen from Otonomy. Thus I tend to have a lot more confidence in what these organisations are doing and that their treatment goals are focused on delivering people the best outcomes foremost.
We don't know anything about the Phase 2a, except the design of the trial. I assume the 90-day release will be a top-line readout. Which means they will show the baseline and 90-day aggregate result for each endpoint and each injection cohort compared to placebo.

EXAMPLE: (all at 90-days):
All would show injection vs placebo:

Word Score - Quiet: - 1-injection - 50%, 2-injection - 60%, 4 injection 80% (p-value 0.010)
Word Score - Noise: - 1-injection - 30%, 2-injection - 50%, 4 injection 70% (p-value 0.0x0)
Pure Tone Average: - 1-injection 10 dB improvement, 2-injection 20 dB, etc etc
TFI: 1-injection 10% reduction, 2-injection 20% reduction, etc etc

You get the idea... I would be delighted to see similar detail as the Phase 1/2 results; with hopefully some insight into audiogram improvements and breakouts into cohort improvements. However, I expect it to be a top-line summary of sorts; otherwise I don't see how it could be done without ublinding the trial.
I don't think that they necessarily need to unblind the trial to get a reasonable understanding of what the trial outcomes were. Unblinding would make data interpretation much easier because you'd know exactly who got what and also actually what their benefit was.

I think if they provided the data about various participants like how you described above then there tends to be a reasonable ability for someone to assume and/or predict what might have happened. For example if you got a bigger improvement, it is reasonable to assume at the moment that you got more doses of FX-322. If the unblinding gave a different result (such as less doses produced a better result) then I think that Frequency Therapeutics would reassess why this is the case and also actually reevaluate their dosing process probably. Pretty confident that the treatment with FX-322 will work better with more doses based off of the research.

Overall I think that the thing most will want to see is that FX-322 is providing benefit and that it is hopefully providing more benefit with more injections. If it is the case that more FX-322 is providing more benefit, then it may also further give us insight into if more doses are required/will yield a bigger benefit. This is because if we are seeing that more doses is working more substantially and also reach deeper into the cochlea it will not only confirm Frequency Therapeutics' position that more intratympanic injections will lead to more deeper penetrance and also that it is entirely possible that users will benefit from even more than four shots as well.

A user came on here claiming they must have had the real thing and said it was poison, but then it turned out they had the placebo and the drug in fact worked.
When/where did @ChrisBoyMonkey say that he found out it was the placebo? I remember a user being very upset saying it made his tinnitus worse, I never saw the post that said the user had gotten a placebo.

At this pace...

I'd wager:

I don't think it's going to take that long. When they release the results in May, and it proves FX-322 does indeed restore hearing, to what degree I don't know, I believe there will be a huge push to release immediately for compassionate use. I don't think we will have to wait years.

I don't think it's going to take that long. When they release the results in May, and it proves FX-322 does indeed restore hearing, to what degree I don't know, I believe there will be a huge push to release immediately for compassionate use. I don't think we will have to wait years.
I like your optimism.

When/where did @ChrisBoyMonkey say that he found out it was the placebo? I remember a user being very upset saying it made his tinnitus worse, I never saw the post that said the user had gotten a placebo.
I think that's an assumption based on Otonomy reporting notable adverse events were only with placebo unless somehow they don't consider a worsening in that category.

It would be great if he could follow up and let us know though.

My question is if it is successful at this point, would Frequency Therapeutics apply for compassionate access/use?
The only thing they have said is they will look into it and seemed interested in revisiting that question. So hopefully, but they haven't given a guarantee.

I like your optimism.
I wonder whether part of the reason Frequency Therapeutics has contemplated a 90 day result release is to hopefully employ this information as support for/as a part of their application to gain FDA approval for compassionate use release? I really wouldn't be surprised if Frequency Therapeutics were going to try to use this information to support this because it is I think quite likely that if such information demonstrated benefit then they could put it to the FDA as evidence that the treatment provided benefit.

I wonder whether part of the reason Frequency Therapeutics has contemplated a 90 day result release is to hopefully employ this information as support for/as a part of their application to gain FDA approval for compassionate use release? I really wouldn't be surprised if Frequency Therapeutics were going to try to use this information to support this because it is I think quite likely that if such information demonstrated benefit then they could put it to the FDA as evidence that the treatment provided benefit.
It's possible. Fast Track gives them more frequent communication with the FDA. I believe the Breakthrough Designation must be applied for no later than the end of Phase 2 meetings.

So, the strategy may be to apply for Breakthrough Status immediately after the 90-day results are released. This still meets the condition that the request is before the end of Phase 2.

If it is granted in 2021, I don't see why they couldn't start a Phase 2b/3, as @FGG described, as early as Q4, 2021.

This might also make the path to compassionate use in 2022 more likely.

The only thing they have said is they will look into it and seemed interested in revisiting that question. So hopefully, but they haven't given a guarantee.
I'm hoping this refusal to commit to granting compassionate use is just another example of Frequency Therapeutics being deliberately conservative like they have been with everything else. Essentially I hope that they will apply for compassionate use if it is indeed successful.

I was thinking the same too. Why would they release the results up to Day 90 earlier in March 2021. They must have got some insider information that showed that many of the patients that got 4 doses of FX-322 had more of an improvement compared to 1 dose of FX-322 in Phase 1b.

Hopefully that's the reason why they are releasing results up to Day 90 earlier in March 2021.

I wonder whether part of the reason Frequency Therapeutics has contemplated a 90 day result release is to hopefully employ this information as support for/as a part of their application to gain FDA approval for compassionate use release? I
That may be the case, but I really wish they'd apply for compassionate use now. My tinnitus is driving me mad and I'm not sure if i can hang on until May without trying to end this miserable excuse of a life.

May? I thought it was September 2021? Well that's good news.

A bit annoying to think COVID-19 is the very thing that has not only compounded everyone's mental health issues but has stood in the way of many of us already being potentially relieved to at least know our day is coming, if it would have been confirmed to work by the original phase 2 trial data release date.

Still, very thankful for all these biotechs existing and fighting for us. I look forward to the day hearing loss and associated tinnitus as well as hearing aids + implants to being a thing of the past.

Also, I'm sure this has been asked so forgive me for asking again - it says they are testing on "mild to moderately severe sensorineural hearing loss". What about severe and profound hearing loss? I hope it still works on that patient population.

Also, I'm sure this has been asked so forgive me for asking again - it says they are testing on "mild to moderately severe sensorineural hearing loss". What about severe and profound hearing loss? I hope it still works on that patient population.
They expanded their FX-322 clinical program and will be doing a Phase 1b for severe SNHL with an anticipated start date of Q4 2020.

May? I thought it was September 2021? Well that's good news.

A bit annoying to think COVID-19 is the very thing that has not only compounded everyone's mental health issues but has stood in the way of many of us already being potentially relieved to at least know our day is coming, if it would have been confirmed to work by the original phase 2 trial data release date.

Still, very thankful for all these biotechs existing and fighting for us. I look forward to the day hearing loss and associated tinnitus as well as hearing aids + implants to being a thing of the past.

The issue with FX-322 is that it regenerates off the back of support cells. The question is how many support cells do you need to regenerate which is why they did moderate hearing loss because basically it ensures that there is enough support cells to regenerate hair cells.

There is going to be a trial for severe hearing loss at some point as Frequency Therapeutics have since announced this. There tends to not be enough support cells to restore a full profound hearing loss, however there are actually some other options that potentially will deal with this.

The reason that Frequency Therapeutics selected the type of participants that they are using for the initials trials is because they are believed to provide the best response to FX-322 by delivering the best benefit. This is a wise and prudent step for Frequency Therapeutics to take because they need to best demonstrate FX-322 is effective in order to pass the FDA requirements.

My two cents: I can see this working for up to profound SSHL (below 90 dB). The issue at profound is this is apparently when you start getting "flat epithelia" which is more like scar tissue and lacks support cells (which is the target of the drug). In that case, you would probably need something to transduce the fibroblasts back into support cells first with viral vectored therapies. Research is being done for this and one researcher told me her estimate is around 15 years for genetic and profound cases to be solved.

However, most people have at least patches of better hearing areas in their cochlea and would still benefit as well as people with mixed conductive and SNHL who wouldn't be in the profound range without the conductive component.

I do personally think people in the severe range can be helped with the drug but coming up with an exact cut off might be difficult for trial purposes.

It's possible. Fast Track gives them more frequent communication with the FDA. I believe the Breakthrough Designation must be applied for no later than the end of Phase 2 meetings.

So, the strategy may be to apply for Breakthrough Status immediately after the 90-day results are released. This still meets the condition that the request is before the end of Phase 2.

If it is granted in 2021, I don't see why they couldn't start a Phase 2b/3, as @FGG described, as early as Q4, 2021.

This might also make the path to compassionate use in 2022 more likely.
Compassionate use may be easier to obtain for the US and using US trials hence why Frequency Therapeutics have gone down this route now.

I am not sure if things have changed in Europe, however previously you needed to conduct trials in Europe/EU to get approval from their regulator. Hence why it makes major sense that Frequency Therapeutics have conducted this trial last as it will still be relevant for phase 3 evaluation(s) but will have no relevance on compassionate use approval.

At this stage I think you might be correct that compassionate use doesn't get granted till 2022, however I feel that this will depend upon whether the FDA wants to see the phase 2 results for other indications or not. Now anyway I do think that the end result will be that Frequency Therapeutics might push to grant compassionate use access as soon as they are able to do so. They just won't commit to this obviously due to the implications such as penalties from the FDA for announcing this prematurely and also due to the organisation's pretty conservative positions on things too.

At this stage I think you might be correct that compassionate use doesn't get granted till 2022, however I feel that this will depend upon whether the FDA wants to see the phase 2 results for other indications or not.
I hope not. I was hoping it'd be released sometime next year, early if possible, or am I being over-optimistic on that?

I really want this to be out, as it's quite likely it's going to be released in Australia shortly after the FDA grants approval, due to the agreement between Australia and the U.S on such things.

I hope not. I was hoping it'd be released sometime next year, early if possible, or am I being over-optimistic on that?

I really want this to be out, as it's quite likely it's going to be released in Australia shortly after the FDA grants approval, due to the agreement between Australia and the U.S on such things.
There's absolutely no chance it'll be available in 2021.

Be prepared it's never going to be available, and then be positively surprised when it's out in a few years.

There's absolutely no chance it'll be available in 2021.

Be prepared it's never going to be available, and then be positively surprised when it's out in a few years.
Hopefully if that's the case they supplement with additional information to that fact. I know they are limited on what they can publish by the FDA, but updates on progress are needed as well. And yeah I know it's not going to be out this year but I was hoping for good study results in May next year, with an immediate push for compassionate release.

Hopefully if that's the case they supplement with additional information to that fact. I know they are limited on what they can publish by the FDA, but updates on progress are needed as well. And yeah I know it's not going to be out this year but I was hoping for good study results in May next year, with an immediate push for compassionate release.
And that's a totally possible outcome that many here believe is likely.

At this pace...

I'd wager:

Attached below is a link and snapshot to an article (Wall Street Journal) describing drug approval. There is a chance that the drug can go to market after phase 2.

Fast-Track Drug Approval, Designed for Emergencies, Is Now Routine

IMG_0024.PNG

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now