• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

Wait, I thought FX-322 treated hair cell damage and synaptic damage?

It only creates new hair cells where they're missing?
It does treat synaptic damage in the area of restored hair cells. Dr. Loose talked about that in Frequency Therapeutics' JP Morgan presentation's Q and A.

Dr. Carl LeBel did say they didn't fully understand all the effects/benefits yet though but they have no thus far made any claims about "cochlear synaptopathy" independent of hair cells.

All.

Made a handy-dandy graph to help us with the FX-322 vs. OTO-413 question.

Blank diagram.jpeg

It does treat synaptic damage in the area of restored hair cells. Dr. Loose talked about that in Frequency Therapeutics' JP Morgan presentation's Q and A.

Dr. Carl LeBel did say they didn't fully understand all the effects/benefits yet though but they have no thus far made any claims about "cochlear synaptopathy" independent of hair cells.
How does Frequency Therapeutics know that synapses won't regrow with FX-322 unless hair cells are damaged? It may be possible that it regrows synapses even if hair cells are intact. What are they using to conclude this theory about synapses only being able to regrow if hair cells have been damaged?

How does Frequency Therapeutics know that synapses won't regrow with FX-322 unless hair cells are damaged? It may be possible that it regrows synapses even if hair cells are intact. What are they using to conclude this theory about synapses only being able to regrow if hair cells have been damaged?
They have looked at tissue samples after their drug is given (cochlear explants) so they probably have a good idea what it does and doesn't do.

Dr. Loose answered the question technically before the German explant studies but I still think their pre-clinical work would give them an idea.

Dr. LeBel said in the Tinnitus Talk Podcast that they still aren't sure of all the effects yet but I would think if they saw histological evidence on synapse regrowth in the German studies, you think they would mention it. It also would be at odds with what Dr. Loose from Frequency Therapeutics said previously.

With bilateral tinnitus cases comprising 39% and patients reporting poor localization at approximately 8%, TFI scores in the aggregate will not reflect the drug's full potential from treating only one ear.

Characterization of Tinnitus in Different Age Groups: A Retrospective Review
50.30% had unilateral tinnitus,
36.97% had bilateral tinnitus,
and 12.73% had poorly localized tinnitus

If FX-322 was indeed applied to the "worse ear" as mentioned by Carl LeBel, isn't it more likely that the worse ear would be the ear experiencing tinnitus in unilateral cases? If so, the TFI score may be highly related to improved hearing.

In bilateral cases, I could see the treated ear tinnitus improving, while the other staying the same. That would certainly cause a lesser effect of improved TFI score. However, we do not know from the bilateral group if the tinnitus is experienced symmetrically or asymmetrically. Could a worse ear have worse tinnitus to be resolved?

Speaking anecdotally: My "worse ear" has the noisier tinnitus. An improvement on just that side, would definitely make my tinnitus more manageable. And I would definitely notice an improvement.

In the remaining poorly localized cases. I have always assumed that "head" tinnitus. Which I experience at times, is the brain producing a "central channel" from bilateral tinnitus. If the treated side faded, and the tinnitus became unilateral, in the untreated ear only. Would that improve the score?

Frequency Therapeutics has not yet spoken much on the TFI score in the Phase 2A. Perhaps since only 1 ear is being treated, a 6-7 point reduction in TFI score will be considered significant? From what I have found 12-14 point reductions seems to be pointed towards bilateral cases.

All.

Made a handy-dandy graph to help us with the FX-322 vs. OTO-413 question.

View attachment 42414
This is really useful.

I am wondering how exactly the hair cells might be addressed if it is in the "worn" or "damaged" state, since I would assume they were still there and connected, yet disfigured or deformed in some way.

With the hair cells missing or dead, it seems clear that on successful application, the growth can be instigated, but what if a hair cell is already occupying a spot? How does the medicine differentiate between these and normal hair cells which may not need regeneration?

Apologies if this has already been answered before or we simply don't know yet. Just curious.

50.30% had unilateral tinnitus,
36.97% had bilateral tinnitus,
and 12.73% had poorly localized tinnitus

If FX-322 was indeed applied to the "worse ear" as mentioned by Carl LeBel, isn't it more likely that the worse ear would be the ear experiencing tinnitus in unilateral cases? If so, the TFI score may be highly related to improved hearing.

In bilateral cases, I could see the treated ear tinnitus improving, while the other staying the same. That would certainly cause a lesser effect of improved TFI score. However, we do not know from the bilateral group if the tinnitus is experienced symmetrically or asymmetrically. Could a worse ear have worse tinnitus to be resolved?

Speaking anecdotally: My "worse ear" has the noisier tinnitus. An improvement on just that side, would definitely make my tinnitus more manageable. And I would definitely notice an improvement.

In the remaining poorly localized cases. I have always assumed that "head" tinnitus. Which I experience at times, is the brain producing a "central channel" from bilateral tinnitus. If the treated side faded, and the tinnitus became unilateral, in the untreated ear only. Would that improve the score?

Frequency Therapeutics has not yet spoken much on the TFI score in the Phase 2A. Perhaps since only 1 ear is being treated, a 6-7 point reduction in TFI score will be considered significant? From what I have found 12-14 point reductions seems to be pointed towards bilateral cases.
It's complicated but I trust the company to report very detailed results and not just a mean on this.

Can we just sticky this somewhere?
How about I just re-post it every time there's new findings from Frequency Therapeutics or Otonomy? Seems like whenever there is news, there's that cycle of "will this help me if..." questions...

This is really useful.

I am wondering how exactly the hair cells might be addressed if it is in the "worn" or "damaged" state, since I would assume they were still there and connected, yet disfigured or deformed in some way.

With the hair cells missing or dead, it seems clear that on successful application, the growth can be instigated, but what if a hair cell is already occupying a spot? How does the medicine differentiate between these and normal hair cells which may not need regeneration?

Apologies if this has already been answered before or we simply don't know yet. Just curious.
We better all pray our hair cells are straight up dead and not damaged.

We better all pray our hair cells are straight up dead and not damaged.
At some point someone from Frequency Therapeutics described FX-322 treating "dead or damaged" hair cells.

Of course, there is some damage like broken stereocilia tip links that heals on its own even in mammals.

At some point someone from Frequency Therapeutics described FX-322 treating "dead or damaged" hair cells.
I went back to review the Tinnitus Talk Podcast with Carl LeBel, and mrbrightside614 had actually asked a question along this line. For those interested, this topic is mentioned on page 15 of the transcript.

My interpretation of LeBel's response is that FX-322 was tested pre-clinical only after severe, debilitating trauma, which would basically guarantee hair cells were certainly killed/destroyed. This works great for proof of concept, sure, but it does raise questions about efficacy for mild or intermediate damage. It has me concerned that this could be even worse than outright loss of hair cells because it provides symptoms of hearing loss and tinnitus and the drug may not be effective in restoring their ability.

I think we will need to keep an eye on the results of recovery for those with mild hearing loss with further phase results. Perhaps I am overexaggerating the negative effect of a damaged hair cell, but I often see them associated as potential factors in both hearing loss and tinnitus. They need to be addressed as well.

I went back to review the Tinnitus Talk Podcast with Carl LeBel, and mrbrightside614 had actually asked a question along this line. For those interested, this topic is mentioned on page 15 of the transcript.

My interpretation of LeBel's response is that FX-322 was tested pre-clinical only after severe, debilitating trauma, which would basically guarantee hair cells were certainly killed/destroyed. This works great for proof of concept, sure, but it does raise questions about efficacy for mild or intermediate damage. It has me concerned that this could be even worse than outright loss of hair cells because it provides symptoms of hearing loss and tinnitus and the drug may not be effective in restoring their ability.

I think we will need to keep an eye on the results of recovery for those with mild hearing loss with further phase results. Perhaps I am overexaggerating the negative effect of a damaged hair cell, but I often see them associated as potential factors in both hearing loss and tinnitus. They need to be addressed as well.
I think you might be overreacting a bit. There's the whole hidden hearing loss argument. Too many factors to count. They also talk about giving numerous doses to people so there's a greater chance it'll reach wherever it's needed. We know we'll probably need multiple treatments for this. It's just important not to prematurely give up.

In the 2020 JPMorgan Fireside Chat, Chris Loose was asked if in the Phase 1/2 about the response of the drug... he quickly said, "All patients that received FX-322 in the Phase 1/2 saw a benefit." They went on to explain that due to a ceiling effect with hearing (human hearing can only get so good), the mild group saw improvement but it wasn't significant enough to show a measurable benefit.

This tells me that even patients with mild hearing loss where they may have worn or damaged hair cells scattered throughout will still see benefits.

I believe the ceiling effect was again discussed in the same chat by Loose, but in relation to multiple doses in the Phase 2A. Loosed discussed recruiting a more homogeneous group for the Phase 2A to show how effective multiple doses may be.

My take-away is that they probably screened for patients with moderate+ hearing loss that look like those 5 strong responders in the Phase 1/2. This gives them the ability to demonstrate improvement with multiple doses.

I think it stands to reason that if this drug can double word score for those with moderate+ hearing loss, those with milder cases will see some kind of favorable result.

If the damage is intermittent or mild, then wouldn't FX-322 work? We would see damaged hair cells within areas and as a result FX-322 would treat these then.

I am pretty certain that both the statements made by Frequency Therapeutics and the data from trials or other sources indicates that if the hair cell got damaged then FX-322 will treat it.

I think you might be overreacting a bit. There's the whole hidden hearing loss argument. Too many factors to count. They also talk about giving numerous doses to people so there's a greater chance it'll reach wherever it's needed. We know we'll probably need multiple treatments for this. It's just important not to prematurely give up.
Possibly. I am certainly not trying to spread doubt or anything. I'm very curious about the science behind all of this. A thought had just came to me regarding how it didn't seem like you can regrow hair cells that are already grown, separate from dead or destroyed hair cells, so I was wondering if there was any clear answer regarding how they plan to address those hair cells.

I want the same thing everyone else here wants: no more hearing loss, and no more tinnitus. It's hard to get too excited when this is a field of study constantly avoided, so I really want to ensure the most hopeful prospects (FX-322, OTO-413, etc.) remain promising.

Not a whole lot to do in between the trials, heh.

Their pre-clinical work was on severe hearing loss but their trials (up till now) excluded severe hearing loss sufferers and only included mild to moderate hearing loss groups.

It's just "easier" to test a hair cell drug when you wipe out frequencies across the whole cochlea.

And even with severe trauma, the damage is not uniform. Hair cells towards the base are more severely damaged and destroyed.

Possibly. I am certainly not trying to spread doubt or anything. I'm very curious about the science behind all of this. A thought had just came to me regarding how it didn't seem like you can regrow hair cells that are already grown, separate from dead or destroyed hair cells, so I was wondering if there was any clear answer regarding how they plan to address those hair cells.

I want the same thing everyone else here wants: no more hearing loss, and no more tinnitus. It's hard to get too excited when this is a field of study constantly avoided, so I really want to ensure the most hopeful prospects (FX-322, OTO-413, etc.) remain promising.

Not a whole lot to do in between the trials, heh.
This is actually really normal on these regeneration/restoration threads to have cycles where newcomers present doubts, and then pages of discussion go by... until the next "big" news comes around... then new doubts are raised, new anxieties are expressed, pages of discussions go by... and so on...

Until a regular Tinnitus Talk patient gets the final product goop injected from a doctor, the cycle will continue.

their trials (up till now) excluded severe hearing loss sufferers and only included mild to moderate hearing loss groups.
I'm relying on memory here but I think it was up to moderately severe. There's a big difference. For instance, the new category of over-the-counter hearing aids will only be for up to moderate hearing loss. Hearing loss greater than that is deemed (by the FDA) to require in-person intervention.

I'm relying on memory here but I think it was up to moderately severe. There's a big difference. For instance, the new category of over-the-counter hearing aids will only be for up to moderate hearing loss. Hearing loss greater than that is deemed (by the FDA) to require in-person intervention.
We are in agreement. They included everyone previously up to severe hearing loss (including moderately severe).

If the damage is intermittent or mild, then wouldn't FX-322 work? We would see damaged hair cells within areas and as a result FX-322 would treat these then.

I am pretty certain that both the statements made by Frequency Therapeutics and the data from trials or other sources indicates that if the hair cell got damaged then FX-322 will treat it.
This was more or less what I was trying to get at in my post. As I view FX-322 as a tool designed to regrow hair cells that are either dead or devastated, I wasn't exactly sure how it goes about repairing those hair cells which might still be intact but have lost function due to wear or structural changes. I would believe this case is much more frequent in those with mild or moderate hearing loss.

Now, if FX-322 treats any damage to the hair cells and brings them back to tip-top shape, or at least close to it, then that's great, ideal, and what I'm hoping for in the end.

This was more or less what I was trying to get at in my post. As I view FX-322 as a tool designed to regrow hair cells that are either dead or devastated, I wasn't exactly sure how it goes about repairing those hair cells which might still be intact but have lost function due to wear or structural changes. I would believe this case is much more frequent in those with mild or moderate hearing loss.

Now, if FX-322 treats any damage to the hair cells and brings them back to tip-top shape, or at least close to it, then that's great, ideal, and what I'm hoping for in the end.
FX-322 doesn't treat the hair cell directly. It is a novel treatment that utilizes a method they have invented and call, "Progenitor Cell Activation." The drug uses a set of molecules to 'activate' the creation of a new hair cell by causing an adjacent support cell to divide. Here's a video:

In theory, the process of activating a progenitor cell in the cochlea should create a hair cell that is as good as the hair cells we were born with. There have been some discussions here on what signaling may be occurring between the hair cell and progenitor, so that the progenitor 'knows' that the adjacent hair cell is in need of 'replacement' when FX-322 activates that specific progenitor. Frequency Therapeutics hasn't really disclosed this level of detail on how it actually works.

It makes new hair cells - no mechanism of action has been delineated via which it would rejuvenate existing hair cells, even if the company spokespeople have used diction, perhaps inadvertently, to that effect.

It makes new hair cells - no mechanism of action has been delineated via which it would rejuvenate existing hair cells, even if the company spokespeople have used diction, perhaps inadvertently, to that effect.
Right. There isn't a mechanism in which Frequency Therapeutics rejuvenates hair cells. It doesn't do that. It replaces dead hair cells and, I believe it has been suggested, damaged hair cells. There is a mechanism for this in the following:

Damaged hair cells eventually undergo apoptosis. Here is a study where they tried to regrow stereocilia after noise induced hearing loss while the hair cell was still damaged but intact and only had a 10 day window to do it (in a Guinea Pig) before apoptosis deleted the hair cell:

Regeneration of Stereocilia of Hair Cells by Forced Atoh1 Expression in the Adult Mammalian Cochlea

I believe this process takes longer in humans (but it's just as robust). If anything, you may have to repeat a course of a regeneration drug months later if you catch a hair cell at the very beginning of that process before it's committed to cell death.

Extremely mild injuries like tip link breakage can actually repair themselves, though, even in humans.

Possibly. I am certainly not trying to spread doubt or anything. I'm very curious about the science behind all of this.
The science is really amazing behind hearing and regenerative medicine but takes a few weeks of reading minimum imo.

And don't worry about spreading doubt. Fear is normal. I remember someone worrying about the drug growing inner hair cells where outer hair cells are and vice versa and I just wanted to give them a hug.

My outer hair cells are probably damaged because of noise. Consequently, I have constantly "swinging hair cells" and it produces tinnitus for me on the frequency in which the problem is. That's a rare cause of tinnitus but i have it.

Do you think that FX-322 could potentially help me? I don't have a problem with synapses. I think my problem is with hair cells.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now