• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

Patient A improved about as much as Patient B in absolute WR percentage, except patient A took the drug and patient B took the placebo. Patient A had a lot of room for growth, while Patient B had hardcore ceiling effect. That's bad news. Change my mind.

View attachment 44454
"A" being a non responder (like B) obviously makes them different than the ones who doubled their word score. So the question is what is it about "A" that makes them not respond like the others even though they had a low word score.

And what is it about the responders that makes them respond?

The answer is likely distribution of lesions or an unaccounted for central effect.

The only other explanation would be that "super responders" were fraud.

Or did you mean "bad news" in terms of guaranteeing results from the severe arm?

Patient A improved about as much as Patient B in absolute WR percentage, except patient A took the drug and patient B took the placebo. Patient A had a lot of room for growth, while Patient B had hardcore ceiling effect. That's bad news. Change my mind.

View attachment 44454
Your bear game is leveling up.

"A" being a non responder (like B) obviously makes them different than the ones who doubled their word score. So the question is what is it about "A" that makes them not respond like the others even though they had a low word score.

And what is it about the responders that makes them respond?

The answer is likely distribution of lesions or an unaccounted for central effect.

The only other explanation would be that "super responders" were fraud.

Or did you mean "bad news" in terms of guaranteeing results from the severe arm?
What I meant is that we can call it whatever reason -- it could be distribution of lesions -- but it casts doubt that everyone in the severe arm will present with beautiful data. Another thing is seeing Patient B, with a heavy ceiling, improve by ~10% absolute WR, kind of makes the 34% of responders in the open-label study look less impressive.

My guess is there's probably a certain type of person that has the right lesions in the right spot to respond nicely. However, shouldn't the drug have to demonstrate more, even for incremental change? To clear Phase 2, where there has to be clear difference between groups, it seems like what matters more is pervasiveness than just the existence of super responders.

I would find it really pleasantly surprising if the severe trial produced a bunch of nice data. I do hate that there's only 6 placebo patients though, as it doesn't really matter what the placebo data looks like, it's so few data points.

Your bear game is leveling up.
Being a bear is a breeze. The burden is on the bulls to supply the proof. I just have to eat a lot, take care of my cubs, and wait for some results to rock my world, while always appealing to the tautology that something is unproven by default.

What I meant is that we can call it whatever reason -- it could be distribution of lesions -- but it casts doubt that everyone in the severe arm will present with beautiful data. Another thing is seeing Patient B, with a heavy ceiling, improve by ~10% absolute WR, kind of makes the 34% of responders in the open-label study look less impressive.

My guess is there's probably a certain type of person that has the right lesions in the right spot to respond nicely. However, shouldn't the drug have to demonstrate more, even for incremental change? To clear Phase 2, where there has to be clear difference between groups, it seems like what matters more is pervasiveness than just the existence of super responders.

I would find it really pleasantly surprising if the severe trial produced a bunch of nice data. I do hate that there's only 6 placebo patients though, as it doesn't really matter what the placebo data looks like, it's so few data points.
I don't doubt that they will have to repeat Phase 2 to showcase their responders better (been my position all along) but I still think individual data will be highly useful from the severe arm especially.

I don't doubt that they will have to repeat Phase 2 to showcase their responders better (been my position all along) but I still think individual data will be highly useful from the severe arm especially.
I mean like, maybe this formulation and delivery just don't lead to pervasive gains and the next Phase 2 could fail as well. That's my fear.

The silver lining is that a proof of concept in vivo for the right lesion distribution is still a big milestone, but if it's too random, the drug may fail Phase 2 again. As @Diesel and @HootOwl have pointed out, there's not really a perfect test to learn where the IHC lesions are. Hence, getting the right recruitment involves some degree of luck.

On the other hand, if the drug had a slow-release formula, I would feel better that the lesions (at least in >=8 kHz range) were hit in a satisfactory way.

I mean like, maybe this formulation and delivery just don't lead to pervasive gains and the next Phase 2 could fail as well. That's my fear.

The silver lining is that a proof of concept in vivo for the right lesion distribution is still a big milestone, but if it's too random, the drug may fail Phase 2 again. As @Diesel and @HootOwl have pointed out, there's not really a perfect test to learn where the IHC lesions are. Hence, getting the right recruitment involves some degree of luck.

On the other hand, if the drug had a slow-release formula, I would feel better that the lesions (at least in >=8 kHz range) were hit in a satisfactory way.
With a single dose Phase 2, you are basically repeating Phase 1 but with a larger cohort. So your odds of finding enough patients to show the drug has a good effect on at least a significant number of people are much better.

But the data from the remaining Phase 1s won't be enough. They need to repeat Phase 2, hopefully with better patient selection and trial design.

How likely are they to agree with some of the most "controversial" theories that have come up on this forum (IHC preference, etc)?

Do you think they could be flexible since there are no treatments at the moment?
This is what I'm worried about. These people have no clue about IHCs OHCs and synapses. How are they supposed to know that each hearing loss drug treats different things?

How likely are they to agree with some of the most "controversial" theories that have come up on this forum (IHC preference, etc)?

Do you think they could be flexible since there are no treatments at the moment?
They will decide based on the primary outcome data from the trials.

They aren't going to pass a drug over a controversial theory. What would have to happen is the Phase 2 repeat combined with some of the Phase 1 results would have to make it clear that word scores are improving. Then, it's hardly a theory, other than the fine details of like which patches of hair cells are being hit.

If the data demonstrates this effect, it's not like impossible for an otologist to picture that inner hair cells are regenerating. I know we bash them because their knowledge of hyperacusis and tinnitus is meh, but they do know a lot about the ear. They aren't going to have a hard time understanding theories from this forum.

It's the company's job to make a case for their drug and use available knowledge as well as their study's results to do that. The IHC component to hearing isn't at all unknown. It's not like @Diesel and I came up with it. It's pretty well established, just not to most patients (that's why Dr. Cliff made a video explaining it).

As far as there being an IHC preference, word scores show that. The results just need to be reproducible over a larger sample. What happens to OHCs with single dosing is less of a concern if they try to go for approval based on "clarity" effects.

If they can show that and move to Phase 3, I really wouldn't worry about the AdCom unless they have an incredibly muddy Phase 3 but that's super jumping the gun at this point.

It's the company's job to make a case for their drug and use available knowledge as well as their study's results to do that. The IHC component to hearing isn't at all unknown. It's not like @Diesel and I came up with it. It's pretty well established, just not to most patients (that's why Dr. Cliff made a video explaining it).

As far as there being an IHC preference, word scores show that. The results just need to be reproducible over a larger sample. What happens to OHCs with single dosing is less of a concern if they try to go for approval based on "clarity" effects.

If they can show that and move to Phase 3, I really wouldn't worry about the AdCom unless they have an incredibly muddy Phase 3 but that's super jumping the gun at this point.
I think OHCs do regrow. It is just whether there is a preference with IHCs first, then OHCs. That hasn't been proven very well. I hope the severe hearing loss patients show proof of word scores and audiogram improvements.

So after the unblinding, if they can select a number of patients to back their theories, they could agree with them.

I hope the severe hearing loss patients show proof of word scores and audiogram improvements.
If they do, unfortunately it's within 10 dB first pass so there is no way to prove it so you likely wouldn't know how much of an effect in the trials because they have indicated they will proceed with single dose for future trials towards approval.

I do wonder if they plan to do a fully experimental arm at one point looking at multi-dosing with bigger intervals but they may or may not and that would be impossible to speculate on.

At this point, we're mostly spinning our wheels. I'm starting fights with myself over math and humble bragging about my cute cat for karma points. It's going to be a long wait for end of Q2.

So after the unblinding, if they can select a number of patients to back their theories, they could agree with them.
I'm really not sure what you mean by this but no they don't selectively show data. They show all the data and present their findings. I don't think they can cherry pick Phase 2a if that's what you mean. They need to re-recruit and restart the trial as a single dose with a different design.

I don't think using Phase 1 data alone (even with the arms still ongoing) is realistic.

How do you figure?

Just to show another discredit to your theory, I had a hearing test on December 30th. I was at a 70 dB loss at 8 kHz. I had another hearing test last week, I was at a 50 dB loss at 8 kHz. My hearing loss has floated 20 dB in under 90 days. Can I hear better now; nope. I had other frequencies go up as well. Same testing equipment both times.

The minimal improvements are moot. Until they show lateral improvements across the board, it's a failure. Hopefully I can be reformed and it will work but presently it doesn't.
For what it's worth, my neurotologist said hearing in damaged ears fluctuates.

Considering that 10 dB is barely audible and 20 dB is a whisper several feet away, you may not perceive the fluctuations.

This is not an investment forum.
Might as well be. It's not a medical forum either but a lot of medical doctors apparently reside here.

Considering that 10 dB is barely audible and 20 dB is a whisper several feet away, you may not perceive the fluctuations.
True, but I've gone from a 25 dB loss to 70 dB and up and down with farther and farther from baseline each time. Same in the lows. Who knows.

I think OHCs do regrow. It is just whether there is a preference with IHCs first, then OHCs. That hasn't been proven very well. I hope the severe hearing loss patients show proof of word scores and audiogram improvements.
I hope that FX-322 will be marketed as a drug aimed at improving WR and that it will have an improvement in audiogram as a side effect (Side utility).

In that case, I think a certain number of anecdotes are sufficient and no proof is required.

His fluctuation was 20 dB if I recall correctly which definitely wouldn't be considered "stable hearing loss". That's the difference between conversation and a hair dryer.

rrj1iji7lnhy.jpg

Edit: nevermind, his fluctuations were even more pronounced.

Just to confirm @Jrblovsky, you said before you couldn't tell the difference in your hearing with these different audiogram results?

Edit #2: lol. What is that at the end of the decibel chart. Lmao. Thanks Google images. I'm leaving it.

I'm really not sure what you mean by this but no they don't selectively show data. They show all the data and present their findings. I don't think they can cherry pick Phase 2a if that's what you mean. They need to re-recruit and restart the trial as a single dose with a different design.

I don't think using Phase 1 data alone (even with the arms still ongoing) is realistic.
But it could be possible though. Hearing loss is an unmet condition. If there is any proof of meaningful word scores and audiogram improvements then FX-322 needs to come out ASAP. It could help millions of people worldwide especially the military who got damage from using crap earplugs by 3M.

But it could be possible though. Hearing loss is an unmet condition. If there is any proof of meaningful word scores and audiogram improvements then FX-322 needs to come out ASAP. It could help millions of people worldwide especially the military who got damage from using crap earplugs by 3M.
It doesn't work that way. It's an unmet need but they still have to show data.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now