Functional MRI Neurofeedback Outperforms CBT for Reducing Tinnitus Distress

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Adaś, Feb 16, 2024.

1. Adaś
      Caffeine

Adaś Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones, Stress, Rock concerts
      FYI, I just came across this one. This is some great progress, even if it took years (2017-2021). Of course if you read what Neurofeedback is, and if I got it right, it still relies on individual adjusting her/his response to tinnitus distress, so it is some improved CBT with visual feedback performed inside of an MRI (pretty loud) device. I still need to get access to the full article to read through the details. I hope that an fMRI may provide some way also to measure tinnitus objectively.

Functional MRI Neurofeedback Outperforms Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Reducing Tinnitus Distress: A Prospective Randomized Clinical Trial

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      Here's the full article.

Attached Files:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. IYIiKe

IYIiKe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible Ototoxic Reaction to Sertraline and Hydroxyzine
      It will be a hard sell since the cost will be prohibitive, in my opinion. Insurers will just laugh at us.

4. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      I don’t think insurance in the US approves any tinnitus treatment at the moment. So they always laugh at us.

How much does this cost? I looked online and couldn’t find anywhere that it is publicly available, much less pricing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. IYIiKe

IYIiKe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably $500-600 USD for the fMRI only, plus any other ancillary BS fees per treatment.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Probably more like $2000+.

7. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      There was a study on classic Neurofeedback in Marburg (Germany) for tinnitus with many participants in 2019. I talked after the study to the responsible person - Cornelia Weise (Psychologist).

She said that it did, unfortunately, absolutely nothing in regards to tinnitus or distress, etc.

It’s useless. It seemed to be hyped some years ago. Even with fMRI, don’t expect any positive results. This paper is bullshit.

I personally had around 60 classic Neurofeedback sessions in 2017 aligned to my EEG results - it did nothing for my condition.

Forget this approach.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Adaś
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't think there ever was expectation that fMRI + Neurofeedback would be any good solution anyway. MRI is loud and expensive. I think the point was that there's something that can be done at all and objectively measure tinnitus and its changes (improvements?), and later be used to conduct research on more robust treatment techniques.

See here:
      I know the pace of the tinnitus research is (extremely) disappointing, but at least there is some motion and a will to invest in building some proper treatments, and these fMRI measurements are evidence for potential investors that some solution is even possible, producing incentive to invest more money, expecting possible returns. Before, there was hardly any good evidence anything could be done, except all these CBT folks producing numerous articles trying to prove it works, but IMHO, just conjuring the reality to keep the business running. But nothing is simple in this world.

Fortunately, we have Tinnitus Talk and the folks behind it on our side.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I've had an fMRI and it was noiseless; didn't hear a thing.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. mrpetrov

mrpetrov Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      110 dB concert
      The paper alludes to silent fMRI being available towards the end.

I expect this treatment has legs. Anecdotally, I am able to semi-influence my tinnitus through mental exercises, so it feels intuitively correct to me that with fMRI some people (not all) could “learn” how to adjust the auditory precept and dampen their tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. Stayinghopeful
      Procrastinating

Stayinghopeful Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened with COVID-19 / Anesthesia
      Doesn’t the “f” stand for “fucking quiet”?

• Funny Funny x 3
    12. IYIiKe

IYIiKe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think it's "f$%^&^$yourwallet"

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Adaś
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Was it noiseless with or without hearing protection?
      It depends on the definition of "silent." I can read in some places that "Looping Star is a near-silent, multi-echo, 3D functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) technique. It reduces acoustic noise by at least 25dBA, with respect to gradient-recalled echo echo-planar imaging (GRE-EPI)-based fMRI."

The question is, what was the previous acoustic noise level? If I assume 105 dB for GRE (I can find such number in some papers), we have 80 dBA after "reduction," which is not even close to silent. Maybe it is silent with earplugs and pads.

14. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I didn't need any hearing protection. Note that the machine looked more like a CT scanner than a traditional MRI.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Adaś
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do you happen to remember the brand? GE or Siemens? Was it regular or research protocol?

If indeed ZTE and/or Looping Star are becoming the gold standard, then yeah, it seems silent fMRI is possible. I found a fresh article that summarizes the state of silent MRI well and have some good references to prior art:

Zero Acoustic Noise with Zero TE MRI
      I think it would be nice to learn if there's any reason to fall back to loud protocols. I found an older article stating that silent protocols may produce under-sampling artifacts, but maybe this is solved by now.

Model-based reconstruction for looping-star MRI

16. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      I would be hesitant to put my faith in a machine that is so loud it could give someone tinnitus w/o proper ear safety protection.

17. rei

rei Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 but not a problem till 10/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music spiked with lyme disease
      What doesn't outperform CBT?