Hard of Hearing and Tinnitus — How to Answer Questions About Disabilities on Job Applications?

AbbaZaba

Author
Benefactor
May 17, 2023
Tinnitus Since
Cause of Tinnitus
Unknown
Hey all,

I have tinnitus as well as moderate to moderately severe hearing loss and I wear hearing aids. On job applications there are questions about disabilities, such as hard of hearing. I was wondering how do you answer those questions?

While I don't consider tinnitus to be disabling for the most part, it can be that way when I can't sleep. Sometimes it lasts a few weeks, sometimes just a day or two. Do you discuss this with potential employers?

I don't want to shoot myself in the foot, but how honest should I be?

Tinnitus can be debilitating if it's bad enough. When I filled out applications, I never stated myself as having any type of disability.

I wouldn't tell them anything that wasn't job-related. I'm going to be reentering the workforce myself after a 30-40 year pause, and it's hard enough getting hired when you're 72. My old boss once told me, never put anything negative on a job application, only talk about the positive aspects you bring to their position.

Tinnitus can be debilitating if it's bad enough. When I filled out applications, I never stated myself as having any type of disability.
I definitely agree. I should have clarified that MY tinnitus isn't disabling most of the time. I do have struggles, but I try not to focus on those and just keep swimming.
I wouldn't tell them anything that wasn't job-related. I'm going to be reentering the workforce myself after a 30-40 year pause, and it's hard enough getting hired when you're 72. My old boss once told me, never put anything negative on a job application, only talk about the positive aspects you bring to their position.
Best of luck to you! I'm 55 and going back after a year away.

I would also be hesitant sharing about my tinnitus with my employer, it seems too personal and I'm afraid they might think it lowers my ability to perform well.

I would also be hesitant sharing about my tinnitus with my employer, it seems too personal and I'm afraid they might think it lowers my ability to perform well.
I'm also hard of hearing and wear hearing aids. It's against the law to not give me a job because of that, but how would you prove it?

For me it does. I'm not ashamed to admit that. They would be remiss to fire me for a disability causing poorer performance, anyways.

I was talking with a friend about this while she was helping with my resume. She suggested that I address the hearing issue in my cover letter, as I now also have an almost one-year gap in employment, and answer the questions honestly about the hearing issue on an application. I think I'm going with that. If an employer is unable to accommodate me, then I don't want to work there. It wouldn't last, and I tend to stay at my jobs for a long time.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now