Hello Fellow Musicians and Drummers!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by DrummerJoe, May 30, 2015.

1. DrummerJoe

DrummerJoe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Hi all!

I recently developed T in both ears. It's been... a journey.

I was wondering if there are any drummers or musicians who have carried on with their music careers while managing T?

If so, what would you recommend to a newbie like me?

Other than sound therapy and/or cognitive therapy, was there anything that provided help? Vitamins, herbs, hypnosis or self-hypnosis, prescription drugs?

Thanks!

Joe

2. Cymro41
      Gloomy

Cymro41 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      You have GOT to get ear protection!!!!

3. Gio

Gio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? Music studio/back issues/stress?
      Hey drummer joe, I noticed mine back in February too.

I've been a studio guy for decades and now I have a high pitch that gets worse as I turn up the volume. Hane you figured out what the frequency your T is at?

Hi pitch really tough to play with for me right now.

4. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Hey. Fellow musician here. I would say get two pairs of musician ear plugs. One with filters and one just custom blocked silicone. Also in ear monitors would help for bigger gigs. I suggest you start taking quieter gigs as much as possible too. NAC and Magnisium Citrate are good supplements for hearing protection.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DrummerJoe

DrummerJoe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your feedback!

I just purchased molded in ear monitors (something I should have done long ago). And have ear plugs for other gigs.

Has anyone had any success with supplements for reducing the volume of T?

Thanks!

J

• Like Like x 1
    6. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not really. Magnesium -NAC - and melatonin for sleep are my favs.

7. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I recommend NAC the other day...And everyone had a massive go at me!

8. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No reason for that. There are studies on NAC and hearing protection. I'm with you on nac

9. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I know that...Dr. Nagler discredited all the studies and basically said I was wrong and that the FDA this and the FDA that.

It's all on here:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/popping-of-soda-can.9772/

10. Antonio

Antonio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear fatigue
      Music producer here too^^! It is actually very common in our area. Even people who take care of their ears such as me can develop this shit. It is not about loudness, it is about exposure length. My advice is: stop doing music for a little while, at least 2 months. Give a chance to your ears to recover. Then, if there is no improvement, just keep playing, but at a low volume. Because you know, some people can manage it pretty well, "oo it's ok, I mean it is so annoying in complete silence but I am not really bothered in everyday's life", but end up by worsening their condition by not taking care enough. And when the volume goes louder... Real shit starts. So just be cool about it, and keep your hearing safe without hampering yourself to play.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Problem is some of us who perform for a living have to work to live so I think just dropping all gigs is extreme. I did stop my long loud wedding gigs but continue to do small acoustic gigs . maybe see if you can get some work playing cajone with acoustic acts.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      I played guitar since I was a kid. I got quite good. Played and lived in Hawaii, Arizona and other states.
      I got chronic T. Cant play any longer. This has contributed greatly to depression. The H hurts too much when I hear or play music. Do you think Ill ever play again? Depressed and lost...
      Last night a friend took me out. There was a band playing. They looked really cool, cowboy hats playing alt country music. I love this sort of music. Non nashville country. I couldnt listen the higher frequencies were really hurting. Do any of think that someday if and when there is a cure or relief that we will be able to hear live music. Bless us all.

I am greatful for my blessings, greatful for the beautiful days that were there. I would do anything to return to such a time.