Hello Friends...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Nick42, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Nick42

Nick42 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Hi everyone,

I'm new to tinnitus and I am so glad I found this website.

I play the drums but not usually very loudly as I use an electric kit. However about a month ago I was playing drums with some electric guitarists and afterwards my ears were ringing. This soon went away after half an hour. A few days later my ears started to pop constantly every time I swallowed or yawned and this continued for a month. Last week this started to stop however in the last week I seem to have developed tinnitus. I do not believe that it is severe as when I am somewhere where there is lots of talking or noise it is hardly noticeable however when I am somewhere with quiet surroundings it is very annoying. I try my best to distract myself but it just does not work. It is so frustrating as I often find my self worrying about it. I have not told anybody I know about this and have not gone to see a doctor. I have had a few minor health issues in the past year and this has got to be the most annoying. I just want it to go away so that I can experience normal sound again. Thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you for such a nice website. Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome Nick. Constant monitoring of one's tinnitus is very common among new T sufferers. The reason your brain is doing that is that at this new phase the brain erroneously think that T is a threat. Our nervous reaction seems to confirm to the brain that it is a mortal threat. So it zooms in the ringing. Generally over time, with you learning more about T from support forum such as this, you begin to have less worry about T, and your brain will then not treat T as a threat. Then distractions will help the brain to get busy on other things. But generally this takes time. So be patient. Try to keep calm and positive. I recommend the followings to do so:
      1) read up as many success stories as you can so you can learn some insights and also have hope in your recovery.
      2) try masking if you are very anxious or have trouble sleeping.
      3) try to follow the instructions step-by-step from this TT thread which also has an audio player for masking, as well as links to ATA & BTA where you can learn more about T.

The main thing is not panic nor despair. Doing so will stress the body and it can aggravate T. Let mother time do its healing and apply some strategies that you learn from others by reading their stories. I include mine and the most read success story on TT which has a simple but effective method. Take good care & God bless.

My story with some important points and strategies to help turn around my suffering:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

The most read success story ‘Back to Silence’ with a simple but effective method by IWLM:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick42

Nick42 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Thank you so much. This really helped! :)