• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Hello, Tinnitus Tribe — As a Lyricist and Singer, My Tinnitus Was Probably Caused by Loud Music

Lorrainie

Author
Sep 18, 2024
Tinnitus Since
Cause of Tinnitus
Loud music
Hi everyone,

I honestly can't pinpoint exactly when my tinnitus started—it came on gradually.

I'm a lyricist and singer, and I'm fairly certain that my condition, which is a medium-loud hiss with a faint high tone underneath, was caused by exposure to loud music. Half a century ago, I was a Funkette (a backup singer for Grand Funk Railroad), and the music was incredibly loud. After that, I spent a couple of years singing Top 40 hits—again, loud music was the norm.

Since the late 1990s, I've produced and released 13 albums as a songwriter and vocalist. These days, engineers are much more conscious about protecting musicians' ears, but when I started, the default for playback was deafeningly loud.

I'm always aware of my tinnitus, but it doesn't bother me too much, and I can usually ignore it when I'm singing. Of course, it would be incredible not to have it.

I recently tried the head-tapping method, which a friend of mine said worked for her instantly, as well as the spoon-tapping technique. Unfortunately, neither worked for me. I've just bought some Benfotiamine to give that a try.

Best of luck to you all.

I was in the Artillery, so I was exposed to loud noises as well. I'm surprised that more people in the music industry don't have tinnitus. Thank you for your wonderful music.

Hi, everyone—

I can't pinpoint exactly when my tinnitus started; I just began noticing it gradually over time.

I'm a lyricist and singer, and I'm pretty sure my condition—a medium-loud hiss with a faint high tone underneath—was caused by exposure to loud music. About half a century ago, I was a Funkette (backup singer for Grand Funk Railroad), and the music was incredibly loud. After that, I spent a couple of years singing Top 40 hits, which was just as intense.

Since the late 1990s, I've produced and released 13 albums as a songwriter and vocalist. While sound engineers today are much more aware of ear protection, that wasn't always the case. Back when I started, playback was often deafeningly loud.

I'm always aware of my tinnitus, but it doesn't bother me too much, and I can ignore it when I'm singing. Of course, it would be amazing not to have it at all.

Recently, I tried the head-tapping method a friend recommended, which worked instantly for her, and the spoon-tapping technique, but neither helped me. I've also just bought Benfotiamine to try out.

Best of luck to you all.

I was in the Artillery, so I was exposed to loud noises as well. I'm surprised that more people in the music industry don't have tinnitus. Thank you for your wonderful music.
Thank you for your service.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now