HELP! Flying with ETD

Lady B

Author
Sep 1, 2016
Tinnitus Since
5/2016
Cause of Tinnitus
Physical Assault, Myringoplasty
Had Myringoplasty on July 2016 due to ruptured eardrum in the left ear. ENT doctor told me I was clear to fly after 3 months.

I was on a 2-hour flight recently March 12 and had the worst pain ever especially on descent. I didn't take or prepare anything before the flight because ENT doctor said I didn't need anything (some doctor huh). Didn't know what it was at the time because I have never experience something like that when I'm flying. I felt my ears moved around at take off, during the flight and on descent. Had to go through with it twice for the flight home, although I used an ear plug specialized for flying (not Earplanes) so it wasnt as bad as the first flight, but there was still some mild pain.

I met another ENT doctor. He said that I have acid reflux and there was inflammation inside my nostrils. He gave me advices what to do and gave me a nasal rinse. Been using it for almost 2 weeks now, dont think there is any changes.

I will have another flight upcoming next week, it will be a 2-hour flight again. I may also have about 15-hour flight at the end April. I used to enjoy flying, but I am just so scared right now. What should I do?? And how do I deal with the 15-hour flight??

I might try a Sudafed or something similar to help with clearing up any blockage. It cleared up my clogged ears pretty well about a month ago.

Afrin before the flight can be helpful. They also sell earplugs called eairplanes that slow down the pressure changes to your middle ear.

It went surprisingly well, I survived lol. Zero pain during take off and descent. Only had ear popping on take offs and no pain there too.

I guess the plane pressure plays a role too. I had 3 stopovers to US (from Malaysia), it was kind of like a direct flight because once I landed I had to rush to get in the next flight. First flight was about 1 hour 25 mins on a small plane (Singapore Airlines) and it was great, which was weird. Because the flight of another airline that I was on 3 weeks before that were the same size, but it was a total torture and ear pain was unbearable. The next 2 flights was on an Airbus, nothing happened too. So I had pretty comfortable trip, thank God.

Also, I looked through a few of the forums here and taken the steps to avoid or lessen the ear pain for air travel. I took Sudafed 36 hours ahead and an Oxynase nasal spray one hour before flight and before landing. I put the earplanes on one hour before flight. I kept the earplanes on for the shorter flight and took it off for the long haul flight at cruising altitude, I put them back on one hour before landing. I did some jaw exercises (opening the mouth really wide) before flight and got chewing gums and Advil just in case.

Note: Sudafed and Oxynase that I had works for 12 hours.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now