Hi...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kat25, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Kat25

Kat25 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all,

I am pretty new to forums etc. I thought should give it a try and if anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. I have a good support system, unfortunately no one really understands how much this is frustrating and upsetting. So I am turning to support groups.

I have only recently found out that the noise I have had in my ears since childhood is Tinnitus. I have this in my right ear. Recently I have really started to struggle with this. I am a mum of 1, 25 years old and in my last year of my degree, I'm also partly death in my right ear to make this even more annoying. I am really really struggling with sleep the noise is yet to have gone or fade for months and I am starting to really feel depressed (I already suffer with depression and anxiety). If anyone could give me any advice for sleeping with this persistent noise I would Greatly appreciate this! I struggle to fall asleep or stay asleep for very long, if i lay on my right side my ear is automatically feeling blocked.

Also does anyone else have a "Bad Day" so to speak with this? For me I know its going to happen, I feel dizzy and disorientated, I then begin to stumble and fall a lot is there any tips for preventing this from being pro-longed so to speak?

Thank you so Much.

K x

2. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Hey (Kathia? just guessing. ;) )

Do you mean that your T has increased recently or that you aren't coping with as good as before? (Because you figured out what it is?)
      I am not sure this is the perfect solution for you see you are partly deaf? But I would do some sound enrichment! Especially when sleeping, get some nice rain/campfire/water sound and a pillowspeaker.
      This can change things dramatically.

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum @Kat25. Have you consulted a doctor/ENT for the dizziness and ear problem? It is best to check out the ears first. The vertigo can be caused by various reasons, one of which is Menierie's disease which have both tinnitus and vertigo as symptoms. You may wish to contact @glynis for advice on Menierie's. If the vertigo is not because of that, then it may be due to BPPV. If so try this exercise as it has helped me on my vertigo to disappear after doing the exercise.

Carol Foster, MD Vertigo Treatment Oct 11

For sleep, try masking with pleasant natural sounds or white noises. If you don't have any idea how, these are some suggestions:

1) Mask at bed time so you can sleep better. Find whatever sounds/music that are soothing to you. You can use a sound machine or sound pillow for this, or a computer with speakers.

2) If you need masking on the go, try load an ipod with nature sounds or music using itune. If you have a smart phone, you can download free APPs for soothing or T-masking sounds.

3) If you have computer and speakers, you can try these excellent masking sounds too:

TT's audio player: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/audioplayer/

or this online sound library, particularly the self-mix nature sounds: https://mynoise.net

or download free sound generator ‘aire freshener’: http://www.peterhirschberg.com/mysoftware.html

or search youtube with words like 'tinnitus masking sounds', 'white noise', 'rain sound' , 'rain forest sound' ,etc.

To help sleep, you can also try some natural supplements if you don't like to take the doctor prescribed sleeping pills, such as Melatonin, Lemon Balm, Valerian, Hops, Catnips, Passion Flower, Chamomile, Lavender, Kava, etc. You can do google search or check Amazon.com for each of them to know how people review these products, and see if you can take them as a supplement. Check out this site on using natural herbs for helping to sleep or to calm the nerves. Good luck. Take care. God bless.

http://www.christopherhobbs.com/lib...ealth/herbs-and-natural-remedies-for-insomnia /

• Winner Winner x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kat25

Kat25 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No not Kathia, Katherine ;).. I am defiantly now not coping with it as well as before. But I am putting this down to the lack of sleep it is causing me and being irritable because of this.

Thank you both for that advice! I shall give them ago. I have an hospital appointment booked but that isn't for a month and half. It's very frustrating. Especially undertaking my last year of university which involved dissertation writing and work. It is embarrassing to keep falling in the office or during a home visit to someones home :(

5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi kat25,
      I hope the hospital do tests to rule out problems with a MRI.
      It could be labyrinthitus or Menieres Disease but E N T won't rush to diagnose it as only time will tell as other symptoms develop as its a progressive disease.

I have menieres and did lots of falling down and vertigo and motion sickness,bouncy vission,drop attacks,sever tinnitus,brain fog ,low concentration,dizzy,spent days in bed or on the sofa as did not feel safe on my legs.

Let's hope its not Menieres but I'm here to help support you all I can....lots of love glynis

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kat25

Kat25 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you Glynis!

It is extremely frustrating, I was under ENT for 8years before finally being discharged has a teenager. I suffered with extreme ear infections as a child & "glue ear" which ended with two failed operation, the possibility of a third & because of the glue ear & ear infections it is what is believed to caused me to be "partly death" in the right ear.

I do hope to get some answers this time & for it to be taken seriously for my own piece of mind.

I am slightly concerned in regards to driving especially with the dizziness etc, I have to drive for my job & for my degree if I can't do that then I won't be able to do my job which I have studied for many years for.

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      If you have menieres and know when a attack is coming you have to tell the DVLA but can drive.
      But I had to stop driving.
      Have a chat with your doctor as medication for dizziness will help and he can tell you about driving .
      Lots of love glynis