• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Hidden Hearing Loss & Hyperacusis After Gunshot

Hey @Bry, sorry for the late response.

Parts of my symptoms fluctuate from week to week (the feeling of pressure/cloggedness, hyperacusis), with a long annoying streak in the past few weeks including now. The distorted hearing thing is always there, but much more bearable without the rest.

In the meanwhile I had further tests at the ENT clinic. They cannot conclusively tell me what the issue is, because of the lack of objective methods to pin down issues like that. Their speculation, based on the symptoms I told them about (hyperacusis, feeling of pressure, distorted hearing), is that it could be the Eustachian tube being too tight or a "Patulous Eustachian Tube" (PET). They offer to surgically widen the tube, and they say it wouldn't worsen the PET. I will wait and see if I want to do it...

I didn't pursue the chiropractor approach any more, because the positive effects didn't stay for long, and I'm not sure at all if it really was the reason or just a placebo or random chance. The people at the ENT clinic told me that these kind of treatments are voodoo and I shouldn't waste my money on them.

Overall, I'm still super confused about what the exactly the issue is. I still believe that it is a mixture of hidden hearing loss and tube problems, for whatever reason the latter appeared. Maybe the Eustachian tube dysfunction was always there, but just became so noticeable due to the additional hearing loss...

@Bry, how are you now? Did you get a clear indication for hidden hearing loss from a doctor?

In the meantime, I visited a physical therapist several times. Mostly got my neck and jaw muscles massaged and did exercises that aim at softening and relaxing everything that could be related. Also recently started using a nightly bite guard splint, to loosen up my very tight jaw muscles.

However, no improvements so far with any of the symptoms. The autophony and hyperacusis are driving me crazy. I soon have to see a psychotherapist, I see no more way out.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now