• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

HIFU (High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound) Surgery

Me too. You alse seem to be surgery resistant! Your mvd didn't give permanent results! Have you really wondered if a failed mvd? You said the MRI shows no signs of the material... How can HIFU surgery treat microvascular compression of the auditory nerve?

It doesn't. It treats the part of the brain that is malfunctioning and responsible for the presence of tinnitus.

And with treats I mean fries it with heat produced via ultra sound. The MRI shows what part of the brain is to be targeted and then they focus ultra sound to that area with less then a millimeter precision.

It's a little like the movie Paycheck with Ben Affleck.

It doesn't. It treats the part of the brain that is malfunctioning and responsible for the presence of tinnitus.

And with treats I mean fries it with heat produced by ultra sound.

It's a little like the movie Paycheck with Ben Affleck.

But in mvc it is the compression of the nerve by an artery that causes the friction and damage of the nerve! There lyes the damage, not at the brain. It is actually one of the known causes of tinnitus, nerve damage by compression. In other cases they assume it is in the brain...
How can frying the brain correct such obvious cases?

But in mvc it is the compression of the nerve by an artery that causes the friction and damage of the nerve! There lyes the damage, not at the brain. It is actually one of the known causes tinnitus, nerve damage by compression. How can frying the brain correct such cases?

Becouse the signal from the damaged nevrve goes to the brain. The whiring in the brain goes heywack. The cortex and hypothalamus get out of sync and a sound is precieved. If you fry the part of the brain that is faulty then the auditory nerve or whatever faults might be in the cochlea (if you have hearing damage) doesn't matter. You go to the source.

Becouse the signal from the damaged nevrve goes to the brain. If you fry the part of the brain that is faulty then the auditory nerve or whatever faults might be in the cochlea (if you have hearing damage) doesn't matter. You go to the source.

I would say that the source is the ear, the final part involves the brain. So, how can you stop tinnitus by making the brain not hear it and at the same time not cutting more audible frequencies? If one day a cure is found, we will have limited hearing? Nills said once they claim it does not affect hearing! How can that be? How can they be sure?

I would say that the source is the ear, the final part involves the brain. So, how can you stop tinnitus by making the brain not hear it and at the same time not cutting more audible frequencies? If one day a cure is found, we will have limited hearing. Nills said once they claim it does not affect hearing. How can that be? How can they be sure?

According to the hypothesis, tinnitus is accualy located in the brain. It might start with damage to the cochlea or the auditory nerve. But that damage then in turn causes damage to the brain where parts of the brain that used to be in sync with eachother now get out of sync. And becouse of this a sound that is not real is precieved.

You could cut the auditory nerve on people that have tinnitus due to hearing damage (this has accually been done) and they would most likely still have tinnitus. Becouse the problem that first started in the cochlea or whatever has caused the brain to go haywhire.

Now if you destroy the small part of the brain that is out of sync from all other parts that it should be in sync with you kill the sound of tinnitus. Becouse now all parts are in sync with eachother.

It's like this:

Imagine you have a group of kids and everyday you give all of them a candybar. Everybody is happy. Now imagine that you one day, and from on then, have one candybar missing every day. Now the kid that's without starts crying and sobing and screeming (just like tinnitus). So the reason might be a missing candybar but your problem now is not the candybar. It's the screeming kid. So if you shoot the kid. Then everybody is happy since you now have candybars for everyone.

Or at least that is what should happen if the hyphotesis is correct.

Me too. You alse seem to be surgery resistant! Your mvd didn't give permanent results! Have you really wondered if a failed mvd resulted in your tinnitus persistance? You said the MRI shows no signs of the material used... How can HIFU surgery treat microvascular compression of the auditory nerve?
The concept is this: vascular compression create a nerve damage (VIII nerve damage with consequences on neuron firing in cns) who generate the aberrant signal to cns. Targeting with FUS technology those zones (in my case brodmann 22 area) we should not suffer from the damage present in periphery.... we hope...

Ahem....Not to burst anybody's bubble, but the MRI machine which is used in this procedure is a 3 Tesla GE MRI, which outputs a noise level of 130dB. The length of the procedure is 5 hours under constant MRI.
There is no room for big standard earmuffs and one can only use a pair of foamies. So lets do the math:

130dB - 32dB (ideally) = 98dB exposure

So to @nills, @Viking and anybody else going there, please inquire about exactly what length of time of MRI at maximum power will be exposed to and is there anyways to squeeze in a slim pair of muffs by taking off the headband and just using a rubber strap to afix to the ears tightly.
Earmuffs will add another level of protection - even if its 5-10db.

According to the hypothesis, tinnitus is accualy located in the brain. It might start with damage to the cochlea or the auditory nerve. But that damage then in turn causes damage to the brain where parts of the brain that used to be in sync with eachother now get out of sync. And becouse of this a sound that is not real is precieved.
It is only a hypothesis, nothing is proven. I tend to beleive it is not brain damage, just brain misbehaving.

You could cut the auditory nerve on people that have tinnitus due to hearing damage (this has accually been done) and they would most likely still have tinnitus. Becouse the problem that first started in the cochlea or whatever has caused the brain to go haywhire.
Again uncertainties. A hypothesis is that tinnitus is caused by absence of certain hearing frequencies the brain got used to recieve. If the brain stops receiving those frequencies, it behaves strangely, overfires perhaps in an offer to find them. So, how could cutting all the frequencies help? It would cause more tinnitus. That does not mean the brain has contacted tinnitus from the damaged ear. Just that its responce to a damaged ear is Tinnitus! Naturally, damaging the ear more could not help, quite the opposite. But fixing the ear or nerve would help! Why do people recovering from microvascular decompression surgery get some or total relief from tinnitus? They don't fix the brain, they adress the damaged auditory nerve. So, perhaps gaining hearing and lost frequencies fixes Tinnitus.

I am not saying that destroing the part of the brain that misbehaves/misfires doesn't help with tinnitus, it is just my opinion that one should look to fix the problem and not possibly create a new one; The brain mechanism that makes tinnitus sounds because it misbehaves, is probably responding naturally to an external stimuli. If making the brain dead and not being able to reply to that stimuli cures tinnitus that's good, but we don't know the repercussions of this action. The brain may be unable to process other things, or loose something usuful in the proscess, like hearing or certain frequencies. These are all things that need to be tested. I assume and hope they have done so.
In my reasoning, tinnitus is not damage that after some period of time transferrs to the brain as a new damage there. I don't buy it. There could be a simpler explanation, as the one I described above.

Now if you destroy the small part of the brain that is out of sync from all other parts that it should be in sync with you kill the sound of tinnitus. Becouse now all parts are in sync with eachother.

It's like this:

Imagine you have a group of kids and everyday you give all of them a candybar. Everybody is happy. Now imagine that you one day, and from on then, have one candybar missing every day. Now the kid that's without starts crying and sobing and screeming (just like tinnitus). So the reason might be a missing candybar but your problem now is not the candybar. It's the screeming kid. So if you shoot the kid. Then everybody is happy since you now have candybars for everyone.

Or at least that is what should happen if the hyphotesis is correct.
Ok, but again, what about the dead chilren? If these children had a purpose, a function of some sort, killing them wouldn't make a difference somewhere? Wouldn't it be preferrable to sience them without killing them? Even giving them back their candy somehow? Perhaps if not straight, through other means, channels, like ...potassium chanels?

A hypothesis is that tinnitus is caused by absence of certain hearing frequencies the brain got used to recieve. If the brain stops receiving those frequencies, it behaves strangely, overfires perhaps in an offer to find them. So, how could cutting all the frequencies help? It would cause more tinnitus. That does not mean the brain has contacted tinnitus from the damaged ear. Just that its responce to a damaged ear is Tinnitus! Naturally, damaging the ear more could not help, quite the opposite. But fixing the ear or nerve would help! Why do people recovering from microvascular decompression surgery get some or total relief from tinnitus? They don't fix the brain, they adress the damaged auditory nerve. So, perhaps gaining hearing and lost frequencies fixes Tinnitus.

Well the thing is that we can't fix the broken hearing. So unless you want the tinnitus to continue you fix the thing we can fix. Fry the brain.

There is also no evidence that the brain will start behaving normally if the hearing is fixed. There are people that have tinnitus and no hearing loss.

There is also a time window in wich operations of mvc are succesfull to the extent you are talking about. That is before the nerve has taken damage. If the nerve has taken too much damage then the operation will not give any relief, just stop further damage.

I am not saying that destroing the part of the brain that misbehaves/misfires doesn't help with tinnitus, it is just my opinion that one should look to fix the problem and not possibly create a new one; The brain mechanism that makes tinnitus sounds because it misbehaves, is probably responding naturally to an external stimuli. If making the brain dead and not being able to reply to that stimuli cures tinnitus that's good, but we don't know the repercussions of this action. The brain may be unable to process other things, or loose something usuful in the proscess, like hearing or certain frequencies. These are all things that need to be tested. I assume and hope they have done so.
In my reasoning, tinnitus is not damage that after some period of time transferrs to the brain as a new damage there. I don't buy it. There could be a simpler explanation, as the one I described above.

You accually don't kill the brain. You kill the cells that are misbehaving. And in their absence the surrounding cells will form connections to eachother and take over their functions. So you don't loose your hearing. You don't go around making huge holes in someones brain. We are talking about areas less then one mm in size on the left side of the thalmus that are being targeted.

Ok, but again, what about the dead chilren? If these children had a purpose, a function of some sort, killing them wouldn't make a difference somewhere? Wouldn't it be preferrable to sience them without killing them? Even giving them back their candy somehow? Perhaps if not straight, through other means, channels, like ...potassium chanels?

Just as I wrote above. Right now we don't have the capacity to fix the cochlea or the damaged nerves so the solution is shooting the kid. Also what says that the kid will not be unhappy for not getting any kandy for 10 years and continue to whine becouse all the others got their candy and not him/her?

40 000 euro for what treatment? and where do they perform?

thanks
they burn a small hole in your thalamus inside your brain, using a space machine that shoots sound waves into your brain hard enough to destroy part of it. as far as we know no one has actually been cured through this method and no one is even exploring it as a realistic tinnitus option besides this one clinic.

they burn a small hole in your thalamus inside your brain, using a space machine that shoots sound waves into your brain hard enough to destroy part of it. as far as we know no one has actually been cured through this method and no one is even exploring it as a realistic tinnitus option besides this one clinic.
is it a painful procedure and can it have side effect? is it the brai2n clinic in Belgium?

Well the thing is that we can't fix the broken hearing. So unless you want the tinnitus to continue you fix the thing we can fix. Fry the brain.

Right now there is no cure for hearing loss. But there are really promising experiments, either in hair regeneration or ribbon synapsys reconnection. It will take years to do that, of course, but there are also other tinnitus targeting drugs (AM-101, Autifony, RTG like other stuff) that may help and will possibly come out sooner.

There is also no evidence that the brain will start behaving normally if the hearing is fixed. There are people that have tinnitus and no hearing loss.

It would be illogical to consider this as a seperate issue than tinnitus, especially in cases where tinnitus presented itself after acoustic trauma and redyced hearing. Why wouldn't the brain readjast itself to the new hearing as it -possibly- adjasted in the damaged one? It's like the child continiues to cry for candy after years and when it finally gets one, it doesn't take it and keeps on crying! Simply ilogical...

There is also a time window in wich operations of mvc are succesfull to the extent you are talking about. That is before the nerve has taken damage. If the nerve has taken too much damage then the operation will not give any relief, just stop further damage.
Yes, they claim that there is an extend where the nerve damage is irriversible. But they talk about the nerve not being able to come back. Perhaps in such cases brain frying would be the final solution but still, there are gene therapies that will develop in the next year that could even fix the damaged nerve!

You accually don't kill the brain. You kill the cells that are misbehaving. And in their absence the surrounding cells will form connections to eachother and take over their functions. So you don't loose your hearing. You don't go around making huge holes in someones brain. We are talking about areas less then one mm in size on the left side of the thalmus that are being targeted.
Just as I wrote above. Right now we don't have the capacity to fix the cochlea or the damaged nerves so the solution is shooting the kid. Also what says that the kid will not be unhappy for not getting any kandy for 10 years and continue to whine becouse all the others got their candy and not him/her?
That is exaclty what is hard for me to believe. That they simply found wich specific areas in the brain causes tinnitus and can simply aim, fire and eliminate it! It seems to much of a miracle surgery to be true. They seem to have found all the answers, why bother with other drugs and researches? And if they know the exact areas to target and eliminate, why don't they give a 100% tinnitus cure? Why 50-70%?

Don't get me wrong, I would really like to see this coming true, as they did to that old trembling man that after surgery could drink his coffe at peace. It's like you have a neurological probplem? Fine, lets do a special scan (which only them can perform, at great cost, naturally), identify the red areas and simply kill them off! And we have a miracle! Curing any neurological desease!

I just won't believe they are so many years ahead. It's as simple as that.

Right now there is no cure for hearing loss. But there are really promising experiments, either in hair regeneration or ribbon synapsys reconnection. It will take years to do that, of course, but there are also other tinnitus targeting drugs (AM-101, Autifony, RTG like other stuff) that may help and will possibly come out sooner.

Of course there are alternatives I didn't claim otherwise. But those alternatives are nothing that is certain yet. There is a good chance that Autifonys drug will work but then again it might not. They are going to phase 2 trials soon. AM-101 is for acute tinnitus due to hearing loss, it does nothing for MVC and is not an alternative for the likes of me that have had this condition for a long time.

Autifonys drug is not going to be on the market anytime soon. I think 2020 is a reasonable prediction so if you are holding a razor against your wrists today then that: "Maybe in 5 years" doesn't sound so comforting.

It would be illogical to consider this as a seperate issue than tinnitus, especially in cases where tinnitus presented itself after acoustic trauma and redyced hearing. Why wouldn't the brain readjast itself to the new hearing as it -possibly- adjasted in the damaged one? It's like the child continiues to cry for candy after years and when it finally gets one, it doesn't take it and keeps on crying! Simply ilogical...

Well I don't have any hearing loss and I have tinnitus. I don't even know how I got it. Probably due to noise exposure since I know I was not that nice to my ears the last two times I went to a night club (jeez what wouldn't do to be able to turn back the clock :banghead:). But becouse the onset was after going to bed late one night after sitting and waching tv and playing around at the computer, I can't be sure.

Yes, they claim that there is an extend where the nerve damage is irriversible. But they talk about the nerve not being able to come back. Perhaps in such cases brain frying would be the final solution but still, there are gene therapies that will develop in the next year that could even fix the damaged nerve!

Now as a trained molecular biologist I can educate you in gene therapy. Gene therapy has been around since the early 90's. I believe the first succesfull gene therapy was preformed 1990.

But there are some issues that they have never been able to sort out. Like the one where patients start developing tumors or leukemia.

You see you can insert a gene into the genome using a virus but it's pretty hard to determine where that gene will end up. The chances are that you will be fine, since most of our genomes are just garbage. But then again you might not. The gene might end up settling in an area of the genome that harnesses something of importance. So it's really a lottery game. Now I have not been up to date for the last few years so they might have worked something out but I would doubt that there are certanties. The gene therapy is still a quite immature method.

There is lots of ailments far worse than tinnitus that in reality only could be treated with gene therapy like Cystic Fibrosis (a genetic disorder that makes your lungs produce mucus the wrong way and then kills you in your 20's) or Mucular Dystrophy (also a genetic disorder that makes all the muscles in the body weaken and then die slowly so that you start off as not beeing able to do any sports, then not being able to walk, then not being able to move at all and then in the end not being able to breathe when the muscles responsible for brething give out. Also here you die in your 20's maybe 30's). Then ther's Huntingtons, Sickel Cell Anemia, Hemophelia, Thalassemia (the list goes on and on). And the truth is, they haven't sorted those out yet so I really doubt they can cure tinnitus due to nerve damage as soon as next year. And most of the above mentioned will accually kill you! And not just that. They will make you die in a slow, painfull, degrading and horrible way.

That is exaclty what is hard for me to believe. That they simply found wich specific areas in the brain causes tinnitus and can simply aim, fire and eliminate it! It seems to much of a miracle surgery to be true. They seem to have found all the answers, why bother with other drugs and researches?

Well as always in science there are those for, and those against. Even after what one might consider definitive proof there are always those who will oppose (not stating that there are any proof in this case, I'm just speaking in general).

All sorts of tinnitus are apparently not treatable with this technique. If any, since there is no bullet proof proof yet.

There is still doctors bickering about if the brain has any role in tinnitus. Some (mostly ENT:s) will say it's an ear thing. Neurologists would beg to differ.

And then why other types of treatments would be researched on? I will answer that with a question: "How many painkillers are available on the market? Why not have just THE ONE?"

Fine, lets so a special scan, identify the red areas and simply kill them off! And the miracle is done! Curing any neurological desease!

I just won't believe they are so many years ahead. It's as simple as that.

I don't know. I have not seen anyone who has been cured from tinnitus with any treatment. I'm simply explaining what HIFU is about. But as to curing other neurological diseases. Well they claim they can do more then just tinnitus and parkinson so... maybe... I don't know....

- Clinic is called Sonimodul in Switzerland

- They can ablate overactive parts in the brain with less than 1 milimeter precision

- they can only treat tinnitus if it comes from a noise trauma where the cause of the disrythmia is linked to some kind of nerve damage and thalamus malfunction in the auditory cortex ( can`t even imagine tinnitus not coming form auditory cortex - any other dirythmia would cause a different neurological disease depending on the area where it is - but this is how it was communicated to me)

- No side effects because no parts that should not be touched are touched

- No hearing loss because of it (communicated with me after I asked them the question myself - however i can`t seem to retrieve the email correspondence)

- Price is around 2000 euro for consultation and tests - 34000 euros for the actual treatment (+ -)

- they have treated a handful or little more people for tinnitus and have treated over 100 people for neurological diseases such as tremors ... success rate is high although not 100 percent - success depends on the case and individual and I guess the way the neurons are linked creating the disrythmia in the brain. I suspect the smaller the area the easier to treat the more positive the success percentage.

- an average of 50-70 succes with patients is noted ... there hasn`t been communicated 100 percent but I suspect there must be atleast 1 the came close to 90 ... (wishfull thinking :) )

here is their website

http://sonimodul.ch/home/concept

AM-101 is for acute tinnitus due to hearing loss, it does nothing for MVC and is not an alternative for the likes of me that have had this condition for a long time.

Well, they can't even be sure of the cause, they can't actually make a clear diagnosis, how can one klnow for sure what works and what not? The AM-101 may not even work at all, or it may work for more than just acute phases. The autiphony will possibly work but we don't know if it cures. My guess is if it works the effects will be temporary, so we 'll have to take it indefenitely.

Autifonys drug is not going to be on the market anytime soon. I think 2020 is a reasonable prediction so if you are holding a razor against your wrists today then that: "Maybe in 5 years" doesn't sound so comforting.
Agreed. But what can one do? Until a new treatment works and present itself as a cure, what can you do? Dangerous experiments?

Well I don't have any hearing loss and I have tinnitus. I don't even know how I got it. Probably due to noise exposure since I know I was not that nice to my ears the last two times I went to a night club (jeez what wouldn't do to be able to turn back the clock :banghead:). But becouse the onset was after going to bed late one night after sitting and waching tv and playing around at the computer, I can't be sure.

How can you know you don't have hearing loss? The audiograms are not precise procedures, not even objective ones. Let alone they only do upto 8000Hz, so if yours do take a dive after that they won't even know. And they just say the hearing is normal. It is normal compared to what? Perhaps if you haqd gone to the ENT a day BEFORE the tinnitus incident your audiogram would be a lot different, a lot better! But we don't go to the ENT before the problem, do we? Do you hear normal? Don't the T bothers you during the adiogram procedure? Even if you claim you hear fine, doesn't T overlap after certain frequencies? Mine starts to bother me at 6000 when I start to drop, and continues dropping upto 8000. But not above 20db, so many claim it is normal, not even an acoustic trauma! And what of it? They wouldn't know what to do whith it, even if they new I have hearing loss. Sorry, they can't tell us sh*t!

To my mind, tinnitus and hearing loss are interchangable: The less you can hear the more tinnitus you get. Perception of tinnitus on the other hand, may differ greatly among people! Other may have tinnitus for a long time, but it increased gradually, and they habituated it. They may not even notice it. The brain itself may have put it to the backround. So, as there may be people with T and no hearing loss, there are also them with hearing loss but no tinnitus at all! They may have T but do not notice it. Perhaps there is a basis to the thalamus theory, but I'll be damned if they can make head or tails with it, tinnitus wise. It is just experimentation on human brain. If it works, it works. We sure hope it does, and by perfecting it they will give us relief. And, of course, more will implement it and adapt the cure and the prices will drop to normal levels. Or the insurance will cover it.

But until then, we will have to wait for the first people to try it and let us know. Brave and desperate tinnitus people.

PS: While mentioning gene therapy about curing the damaged nerve, I really ment to say stem therapy. Although what your infoon gene therapy is quite interesting, it mostly hase to do with the atoh1 gene I guess.... I really hope they perfect that procedure and try it on tinnitus people also, not only deaf.

40 000 euro for what treatment? and where do they perform?

thanks

they perform is in Swetcerland, here is link http://sonimodul.ch/

this is how treatment looks like it is just instead of essential tremor they kill tinnitus.

I hope i it is enough info, and yes, if you qualify for operation, that meant you have to go there do a test and after it be decided can you get operation, and then 36 000 CHF is price

I have a question: How do they set the coordinates to ablate the specific parts? Do they have 3D MRI scans?
Putting a mark on a 2D image does not make any sense...

But until then, we will have to wait for the first people to try it and let us know. Brave and desperate tinnitus people.

There should be enough severe T sufferers here willing to participate in a HIFU clinical study. Once this study shows conclusive results there should be plenty of patients/clients for Sonimodul – The Center of Ultrasound Functional Neurosurgery. Unfortunately, the prof. is not interested in trials.

Now, I do wonder why? I mean, if you have a space machine that potentially improves/cures T what are you waiting for? Why building a wall around tens of thousands of potentially customers?

34000 euros for the treatment. However, no guarantee of success can be linked to this payment?
Moreover, how come that no celebrity with T has been cured/treated with HIFU?

- they can only treat tinnitus if it comes from a noise trauma where the cause of the disrythmia is linked to some kind of nerve damage and thalamus malfunction in the auditory cortex

Why exclusively noise trauma? Noise trauma is a damage to the sensory cells, right? What about a damaged cochlea it can also end in damage of the sensory cells.

Anyhow, I genuinley hope that HIFU has some impact on your T and that it is a cure. Take care.

~
If I had been this old guy with the tremors and being cured of this ailment after 10 years I'd be so crying for hours -- like crazy.

I have a question: How do they set the coordinates to ablate the specific parts? Do they have 3D MRI scans?
MRI is in 3D, just that the visual for us is in a 2D screen. It is not like they look at a screen, swipe the screen with there big fat finger to set the mark and than push the red button that says `burn brain` ... must be a different way these computer work together and swap info ;)

@NiNyu ... the fact that there is no absolute 100 percent guarantee is also my biggest stumble block to go ahead eyes closed. In the end I will be completely broke. Imagine not being helped and completely broke and no job and depressed ... hmm Don`t even want to go there. So I will for sure think it through after I see him the first time.

He doesn`t do clinical trials because they know it works. There is no proof of concept needed. It works, depending on the case. They can give you an estimate and than it is your choice if you wish to pay. Simple as that.

These are the 4 points they email you when you ask for information about the procedure:

1) A neurosurgical treatment of tinnitus, based on the concept of thalamocortical dysrhythmia and using the technology of focused ultrasound, can only be considered when tinnitus has become chronic (at least 1 year), invalidating and therapy-resistant (resistance to drugs, tinnitus retraining therapy and psychotherapy)

2) There has to be a known audiological cause to the tinnitus (auditory nerve problem/damage, relevant hearing trauma, etc.)

3) Needed is a description of the tinnitus localization (ears, head, which side)

4) And a description of the qualities of the tinnitus perception (pure tone or noise, frequency, narrow- or broadband)

Well, they can't even be sure of the cause, they can't actually make a clear diagnosis, how can one klnow for sure what works and what not? The AM-101 may not even work at all, or it may work for more than just acute phases. The autiphony will possibly work but we don't know if it cures. My guess is if it works the effects will be temporary, so we 'll have to take it indefenitely.

Agreed. But what can one do? Until a new treatment works and present itself as a cure, what can you do? Dangerous experiments?

I can't speak for everyone but I do understand desperation. I have been there myself and to some extent I still am. People who are desperate will do deperate things. Danger is a relative thing. Dangerous means the risk of losing something of value. If the choice is blowing your own brains out becouse you can't stand your current situation then the amount of danger a procedure has holds no or little value since you're about to kill yourself anyway. Or it might be that your quality of life is so low that you might not have much to lose. It might be hard for you to grasp but then you might not be in that persons shoes. You have no idea what that person is having to stand up with. You accually don't know how bad your tinnitus is. It might be the worst case in the history of mankind but to you it might be bearable. Wheras for someone else something you might consider a slight buzz might be the end of the world and traumatize them to the extent that they cannot function.

Even if the effects of Autifony are temporary it's still a good thing. I have no problem taking a drug for the rest of my life if it eliminates my tinnitus. Drugs are generally covered by insurances and after the patent expires the drugs price will plumet and the cost vill be virtually nothing.

How can you know you don't have hearing loss? The audiograms are not precise procedures, not even objective ones. Let alone they only do upto 8000Hz, so if yours do take a dive after that they won't even know. And they just say the hearing is normal. It is normal compared to what? Perhaps if you haqd gone to the ENT a day BEFORE the tinnitus incident your audiogram would be a lot different, a lot better! But we don't go to the ENT before the problem, do we? Do you hear normal? Don't the T bothers you during the adiogram procedure? Even if you claim you hear fine, doesn't T overlap after certain frequencies? Mine starts to bother me at 6000 when I start to drop, and continues dropping upto 8000. But not above 20db, so many claim it is normal, not even an acoustic trauma! And what of it? They wouldn't know what to do whith it, even if they new I have hearing loss. Sorry, they can't tell us sh*t!

I can't know. But I can hear higher frequencies. I can hear sound of 19,5 khz. I've tried that in a sound generator so I'm not deaf at certain frequencies.

When it comes to testing hearing with tinnitus there are workarounds. For instance in my last test they used oscillating sounds instead of a pure tone. That means that you can pick up sounds of frequencies that would normally be covered by your tinnitus since the sounds oscillate a bit and aren't constant. They are of that frequency that they want to test but instead of it being of exactly 8000 hz it might oscilate between let's say 7980 and 8020 hz so you will pick it up even though your tinnitus has the frequency of 8000 hz.

To my mind, tinnitus and hearing loss are interchangable: The less you can hear the more tinnitus you get. Perception of tinnitus on the other hand, may differ greatly among people! Other may have tinnitus for a long time, but it increased gradually, and they habituated it. They may not even notice it. The brain itself may have put it to the backround. So, as there may be people with T and no hearing loss, there are also them with hearing loss but no tinnitus at all! They may have T but do not notice it. Perhaps there is a basis to the thalamus theory, but I'll be damned if they can make head or tails with it, tinnitus wise. It is just experimentation on human brain. If it works, it works. We sure hope it does, and by perfecting it they will give us relief. And, of course, more will implement it and adapt the cure and the prices will drop to normal levels. Or the insurance will cover it.

Once again there is no proof of tinnitus depending on hearing loss and vice versa. They OFTEN DO! BUT, there are people who are completely deaf and have no tinntus. And there are people that have no hearing loss that have tinnitus. And they have tested peoples hearing above 8 khz. They don't do it here in Sweden anymore but they used to and in many countries they still do.

And when you are talking about the brain filtering sounds and about people that might have tinnitus but don't percieve it becouse their brain filters it, then guess again. Tinnitus is the perception of sound. So if you don't hear any sounds, you don't have tinnitus!

The brain filters sounds all the time. Our bodies make a lot of noise. Our heart makes noise, our blood vessels, arteries, when bones and cartillage grind against eachother and so on. Every time you move your head your muscles contract and tendons stretch. All these things create sounds. But our brain starts to filter out most of it already at birth. There accually is a condition when that filter is not working properly and people hear their own bodies. It's called objective tinnitus.

As always there is a price for advancement of medicine. Many would not dare to admit it but wars have always had a great positive influence on the advancement of medicine and technology. During the second world war, the field of medicine made greater advancements in just a few years than it normaly makes in decades.

PS: While mentioning gene therapy about curing the damaged nerve, I really ment to say stem therapy. Although what your infoon gene therapy is quite interesting, it mostly hase to do with the atoh1 gene I guess.... I really hope they perfect that procedure and try it on tinnitus people also, not only deaf.

I'm not a big fan of the stem cell therapies either. It would have to depend on what technique is used. I would never let them put cells grown in a petri dish (in vitro) into my body.

You see, there is a big difference between cells grown in vitro (in a petri dish or similar) and in vivo (inside a living organism).

Human cells can't normally survive outside of our bodies. You can't grow human cells like bacteria. You can't just take a few cells from a human, put them in a dish and have them grow. Our cells are made to enter apoptosis (cell suicide) by default. That means that without stimulance of hormones and proteins, so called growth factors, our cells enter a stage called apoptosis. It's when cells commit suicide. Our cells can't survive as single cell organisms like eucaryotic single cell organisms can. Yeast f.i. is such an organism.

Think of it as our cells being electrical appliences and our body as the power grid. If you unplug your TV, it stops working.

So to grow cells outside of the body one must add a serum to the mix that contains these stimulants that make cells proliferate (divide and produce more cells). But the thing is that there are mechanisms in our bodies that are important in controlling cell proliferation. Most importantly systems that check cells for mutations and damage, and then mark them to be taken care of our immune system.

You see, every time a cell in our body divides there is a chance that something will go wrong, like mutations. Mutations are errors that occur in DNA replication where the copy of the DNA are not exact matches in the two cells that arise after cell division (called mitosis). A DNA base might be substituted for another, there may be pieces missing, there might even be chromosomal damage where whole or pieces of chromosomes are missing or being copied one too many times so you end up with cells containing more or less then 46 chromoromes. We generate potential tumor cells on a daily basis. Cells are either repaired or if they are damaged beyond repair our body has mechanisms that mark such cells and they are then swiftly and safely removed. There is lots that can go wrong and it also often does but our bodies takes care of it 99,9999% of the time (cancer arises in that 0.0001% when things go wrong, wich is why everybody gets cancer in the end if they get to live long enough, everytime your cells devide you draw a ticket in the cancer lottery).

Usually when cancer arises these mechanisms have been sidestepped and cells start to proliferate uncontrollably. These cells then quickly accumulate lots of mutations and often there are chromosomal abnormalities and genes that normally aren't active in our normal cells that become activated. Cancer cells become immortal. Among other things they activate genes responsible for production of growth factors (so they start to make their own stimulants) and the production of telomerase (a protein that keeps cells from aging and is normally active only in our reproductive system, the testicles and ovaries).

All of the above normally happens when you grow cells in a petri dish. There are no normal mechanisms for controlling cells. So after a while you will basicly be growing a tumor in bowl wich is not something you would like to put in your body.

Now I got my degree five years ago so I'm not in to the latest and greatest but there are big issues with both stem cell techniques as well as gene therapy. Mostly with safety. That is why they've cured just about any condition in mice. But then again if half of the mice die in the study, who cares. It's still a success. The same does not apply to humans. It's not as easy as one might think. And often the researchers oversell it to get their research funded.

When it comes to techniques of such kind I think it will be a very long time before it will be an accepted aproach for treatment of ailments like tinnitus. The first that will be treated are the illnesses that are terminal.

I'm sorry to say this but I think that this type of technology is at least 10-15 years away. They might cure one person here and there. But for this technology to become a standard procedure...that will take a long time.

Of course it would be a 3D scan pinpointing the exact location to be ablated, the location is fixed by the MRI. THe focussed ultrasound targets the location and ablates the cells.

Ok, let's say it is a 3D MRI and the exact coordinates of a specific spot are given. They will have to ablate around that spot? At what distance? Spherically? I would be interested to know all these, they are important since precision is of importance.
So, if they are so precise, what happens if you breath, swallow during the pressedure?

Also, what happens to the pain caused in the ear that accompanies hyperacusis? Many tinnitus patients do have that. Frying the brain will make the pain stop along with T?

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now