How Bad Is Caffeine and Alcohol for Tinnitus?

Egg

Author
Jun 3, 2018
Tinnitus Since
2/6/2018
Cause of Tinnitus
Acoustic Trauma (Concert)
So I was wondering if caffeine is really that bad for tinnitus?

I quit it for my first 2 months but with school picking up I really find myself craving/needing it.

I'd read somewhere that it has the potential to turn acute tinnitus into permanent tinnitus? Is this true? Does anyone have actual study/data on this or is all knowledge anecdotal?

Also how bad is alcohol for tinnitus?

They say alcohol is ototoxic. Caffeine seems to do nothing leaning towards slightly lowering my shitnitus. I just have no friggen clue. The medical community has few answers and cant do jack squat to really advise us. Just shows you that we are actually still in the dark ages. Not just in medicine.

I drink 2 cups of coffee a day...and it increases my t but i still drink anyway. My t is decreased 80% on days i don't drink. I already gave up so much in life thanks to t...coffee is my refuge. :)

Alcohol does nothing on me.

They say alcohol is ototoxic. Caffeine seems to do nothing leaning towards slightly lowering my shitnitus. I just have no friggen clue. The medical community has few answers and cant do jack squat to really advise us. Just shows you that we are actually still in the dark ages. Not just in medicine.
Yeah it sucks that there is literally nothing that they can advise us. Except like "protect your ears". Well joke's on them already learned that the hard way.
I'm just afraid I'm doing things that are bad for my T without even knowing about it.

I drink 2 cups of coffee a day...and it increases my t but i still drink anyway. My t is decreased 80% on days i don't drink. I already gave up so much in life thanks to t...coffee is my refuge. :)

Alcohol does nothing on me.
I notice no difference in the loudness of it when I drink coffee. Sometimes there is kind of like a preassurey feeling in my ear though. Do you get that with coffee? I feel like it might be placebo because I read somewhere it is bad. And I tend to be a worrier so I get those placebo side effects a lot.

Also, how bad is your T? Is it a mild only hear it in silence T or an intrusive one? Maybe intrusive T is more sensitive to that kind of stimuli. I'm just speculating though

A bit of what you fancy carn't be bad,
or life would be a dull place....

my view...
love glynis

Can I like, go climbing or diving? Still unsure of what I should be giving up and what I can keep doing? Should I just test and see

I notice no difference in the loudness of it when I drink coffee. Sometimes there is kind of like a preassurey feeling in my ear though. Do you get that with coffee? I feel like it might be placebo because I read somewhere it is bad. And I tend to be a worrier so I get those placebo side effects a lot.

Also, how bad is your T? Is it a mild only hear it in silence T or an intrusive one? Maybe intrusive T is more sensitive to that kind of stimuli. I'm just speculating though
Mine is mild (can't hear it except when I'm in bed at night), sometimes my anxiety makes me feel my t is louder than it is. Like today i was out and the fire truck went by blasting its ridiculous sound...even though i had plugs in i was still nervous.

Life is too short and too precious to just not do all the things you love...one just needs to weigh the pros and cons. Besides, there is plenty of time to get to the other side...I'm going to do my best to enjoy this life while i still can. ..my next life will be without t :)

Mine is mild (can't hear it except when I'm in bed at night), sometimes my anxiety makes me feel my t is louder than it is. Like today i was out and the fire truck went by blasting its ridiculous sound...even though i had plugs in i was still nervous.

Life is too short and too precious to just not do all the things you love...one just needs to weigh the pros and cons. Besides, there is plenty of time to get to the other side...I'm going to do my best to enjoy this life while i still can. ..my next life will be without t :)
Where was this positivity in my first extremely depressed months of tinnitus? :) thank you for your respone!

Coffee doesn't bother me. Alcohol does---the next day. I don't drink very often. But when I do I will have more than just one or two beers. The next day is Hell.

Drin
Can I like, go climbing or diving? Still unsure of what I should be giving up and what I can keep doing? Should I just test and see
Test it out. I am one for not letting T dictate my life I mean it does in some ways.

I'm not sure about diving but in sure climbing is no issue

I'll just put it this way...

After I drink my cup of coffee my head buzz T goes absolutely haywire.

100% it affects T at least in some cases.

I'll just put it this way...

After I drink my cup of coffee my head buzz T goes absolutely haywire.

100% it affects T at least in some cases.
For me, it does nothing. There are I'm sure major things to understand about tinnitus from stuff like this. Why is this?

noise induced. two tones, one is like a whistle sound and the other is like a very high frequency computer sound that fluctuates.

Do you mean like a static/TV buzz sound?

If so, I have the exact same situation along with a basic whistle T sound in my left ear, only part of my fluctuation with the buzz sound includes pulsating tinnitus. Scheduling at MRI next week.

Btw all these noises of yours began after a one noise induced incident/night or was it progressive?

Do you mean like a static/TV buzz sound?

If so, I have the exact same situation along with a basic whistle T sound in my left ear, only part of my fluctuation with the buzz sound includes pulsating tinnitus. Scheduling at MRI next week.

Btw all these noises of yours began after a one noise induced incident/night or was it progressive?
seems like all at once from loud noise

So... this worsening is just episodic or something persistent? (seems more like the former)

As many stated here, I will not keep myself off the things I enjoy.

I've had a bad spike for 3 weeks and drank the whole time, more than I have been normally. I drank last night, and my spike subsided. I'd think that if it decreases stress that would be better than not drinking and allowing stress.

So... this worsening is just episodic or something persistent? (seems more like the former)

As many stated here, I will not keep myself off the things I enjoy.
Well with me every spike's been temperory honestly. Some longer than others. Anxiety definitely gives me the worst spikes. Currently have the flu which has also been a pretty bad spike but I guess it'll fade out once I'm better

So I was wondering if caffeine is really that bad for tinnitus?

I quit it for my first 2 months but with school picking up I really find myself craving/needing it.

I'd read somewhere that it has the potential to turn acute tinnitus into permanent tinnitus? Is this true? Does anyone have actual study/data on this or is all knowledge anecdotal?

Also how bad is alcohol for tinnitus?

Neither one makes any difference to my T.
I don't think there is any study showing that caffeine (or alcohol) affects the probability of acute tinnitus turning into permanent tinnitus.

John Adam's entry regarding the bewildering lack of knowledge Medical Science has about this condition is wholly accurate.
In 2015 in fact I read about a study theorizing that caffeine "wakes up the brain" and the resultant increased pace of neuronal activity might wipe out the tinnitus sensation.
I have migraines, and I actually take those 200 mg Vivarin caffeine tabs (since caffeine is an excellent analgesic for incipient migraines). This has never had the slightest effect one way or another on my tinnitus.
I cannot even recall how many theories have been advanced regarding the etiology of tinnitus that have eventually been discarded or abandoned.
(However, such freelance brainstorming may be the only trial-and-error way that an effective drug and/or treatment is discovered).
Aspirin is the only substance that exacerbates my tinnitus.
I also recently tried that PCB Oil (at $77.00 for 30 tabs), and it had no effect whatsoever.

GET RID OF THE HEADPHONES!! Even if you never bother your tinnitus with it, humans have a tendency to always test their luck and before you know it your volume will be higher than your tolerance to sound.

Get a shoulder speaker set from Amazon, those work great for gaming too... I play Rainbow 6 Siege while wearing them (like a geek lol)

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now