How Do You Protect Your Hearing?

IvanRus

Author
Jul 2, 2017
Tinnitus Since
04/2017
Cause of Tinnitus
ototoxicity
How do you protect your hearing, what kind of steps do you take? Do you take any medications / supplements regularly?

Do you have an audiogram regularly on some home devices or in a clinic?

How do you protect your hearing, what kind of steps do you take?

I carry fingers with me at all times. When an unexpected loud noise happens and I have time to put my fingers in my ears, I do it.

For expected cases (shows, concerts, etc) I carry ear protection that I insert as needed.

Do you take any medications / supplements regularly?

I take 600 mg NAC daily, along with general multivitamins.

Do you have an audiogram regularly on some home devices or in a clinic?

I do professional hearing tests every 9-12 months because I have a degenerative disease and I need to monitor its progress.

I carry fingers with me at all times. When an unexpected loud noise happens and I have time to put my fingers in my ears, I do it.

For expected cases (shows, concerts, etc) I carry ear protection that I insert as needed.

I take 600 mg NAC daily, along with general multivitamins.

I do professional hearing tests every 9-12 months because I have a degenerative disease and I need to monitor its progress.
I carry fingers with me at all times.

This. OMG. One of the funniest things I have read here. I am laughing so hard, either going to start crying or spike my tinnitus. :ROFL:

On a more serious note, it's true too. I actually feel like quickly sticking my fingers in my ears does a better job of dampening sound versus ear muffs and is faster than taking time to roll an earplug and correctly put it in my ear.

Whenever I leave the house I have either Ohropax earplugs in or I just slip on Peltor Bulls Eye 1 (black & low profile).

If I know I'll be attending a busier place/city I always have in my bag Peltor X4A ready for action.

I got a new set of 3M™ Clear E-A-R™ earplugs. I'll try them out and hopefully these will help with my hyperacusis.

I don't believe there's a medicine slash supplement that can help you build a protective shield against a noise trauma.

Else, I have to agree. According to this article sticking fingers in your ears is pretty quick and can provide the same amount of attenuation as some earplugs. Just make sure your manicure is in check (sharp fingernails - cuts + nails tend to conceal lots of microscopic bacteria that could cause an infection).

"Placing a finger directly over the canal and blocking it provides the most amount of attenuation of the 3 methods (seen in red). Above 100Hz this method provides 20-30dB's worth of attenuation across the spectrum, a considerable reduction in level."

Source: https://solentacoustics.wordpress.com/2015/11/19/natural-hearing-protection-hands/

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now