How to Get the Quietest MRI Experience?

Discussion in 'Support' started by another sean, Oct 4, 2018.

1. skMad

skMad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Does anyone know where can I find a lab with one of those quieter MRIs in Michigan, US? I am close to Dearborn, MI.

2. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown for 10 years, but later bad from loud fireworks.
      My suggestion is to start calling the major hospitals to see what brand MRI they have.

If that fails, then start calling the smaller hospitals nearest to the farthest you'd be willing to drive.

It will be a pain, unless someone already knows of one.

3. John3377wi

John3377wi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise/meds/stress
      I have very severe tinnitus and I need an MRI of my brain so I'm trying to find the quietest machine available.

Does anyone know of anywhere that has quiet technology in Wisconsin or the Chicago area?

I heard that the standard MRI can be to loud even with double hearing protection.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
      John

4. Kev

Kev Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma, Noise Exposure, TMJ & ETD
      Hey all. I just wanted to report back after my successful MRI with a Canon Galan 3T machine.

Of course, I was super nervous after some not-great experiences with other machines at other facilities, but I was able to get through an entire brain MRI with and without contrast with the Canon.

First of all, there is some confusion on the Canon's noise attenuation:
      • Every machine made by Canon (formerly Toshiba Canon) comes with Pianissimo hardware. This is the way the machine is built, with the gradient coils being vacuum sealed. The gradient coils produce the loud noise, and the way Canon builds every single machine essentially puts more padding between these coils and the bore. This automatically makes every machine a little quieter than other brands (Siemens, GE, Philips, etc.).

• Pianissimo Zen is the software solution only applicable for a handful of sequences (Brain T1, MRA, and DWI). It consists of ultra-short echo-time sequences (physics I don't understand) that change how the coils move. These sequences are barely louder than ambient noise. All machines have this software - Siemens Quiet Suite, GE Silent Scan, etc. - AGAIN, THIS IS ONLY FOR A COUPLE OF SEQUENCES.
      From my experience with the Galan, the techs didn't even know how to run the Zen or mUTE sequences (ultra-short echo time). I'm not sure if this is the same with most places, for instance, a facility with a Siemens machine not knowing how to turn on Quiet Suite. I chose the Canon for this reason, as the hardware is unchangeable, and therefore, regardless of the tech or facility, you will get a slightly quieter scan no matter what.

Overall, I'd say the Canon was 20% quieter than the last Siemens machine I used. This doesn't sound like much, but it made all the difference in terms of getting through the scan. Again, it is by no means a quiet experience, but with NRR 33 dB foam earplugs and pads around my ears, I was able to complete an entire 30-minute scan with gadolinium without a spike. To me, this is a win.

The struggle is finding techs who know anything about the Ultra Short Echo Time sequences on any machine. Most have never heard of it. This is why going with Canon is the best option for those of us with tinnitus & hyperacusis, IMO. Again not saying it's quiet but it's the lesser evil.

After looking all over the Southwest for Canon machines, I found a few locations, which I will list below. I went to UCSD, and despite the techs not knowing anything about the quiet sequences, I found them to be kind and sympathetic to my sensitivity struggle.

Here are the locations I found:
      1. UC San Diego Hillcrest OP - Canon Galan 3T (techs unaware of Zen sequences but otherwise a good facility)
      2. Beverly Community Hospital Montbello - Canon Titan 1.5T (techs aware of Zen sequences, but hospital now only scanning patients on an inpatient basis)
      3. Pioneers Brawley CA - Canon Galan 3T (I didn't speak to techs)
      4. Steinberg Diagnostic Medical Imaging Las Vegas - Canon Galan 3T, might also have a Canon 1.5T (I didn't speak to techs)
      5. Arizona Coast Radiology Havasu City AZ - Canon Fortian 1.5T (I didn't speak to techs)
      These are the locations I found closest to me in Southern California.

I hope this is helpful!

I hate getting MRIs and avoid them at all costs unless absolutely necessary. If it is, then definitely do your research before picking a facility. Bring your own earplugs with the highest rating possible.

All the best!

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. lightning
      Amused

lightning Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe tinnitus since Dec 30 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      Do you have the contact info for UCSD Hillcrest? I called UCSD recently, and they said they no longer have the Galan. I've been using Pioneers, but it's quite a drive.

6. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Can you wear earmuffs like the one below in an MRI? I thought you couldn't wear any metallic stuff?

71Vqh2hzM0L._SL1500_.jpg

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. Kev

Kev Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma, Noise Exposure, TMJ & ETD
      Hillcrest Outpatient is very much still there and using the Canon. Call the UCSD main line again and ask for the direct line to HCOP. I was just there for another MRI in April and it was the same Galan 3T.

8. mknature
      Wishful

mknature Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013 (quiet), 5/2020 (loud)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss / ototoxicity / viruses
      I'm curious if @Baker could go through with the MRI? Did it go well?

I'm in North Carolina and willing to travel to a quiet MRI machine. Does anybody know of one? I might have to do a brain MRI, and that will require a feat of mental fortitude plus some research, prep, and prayer. As far as I can tell, I'm looking for a Canon / open MRI.

9. ECP

ECP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      being a caregiver for an elderly lady who is hard of hearing
      Has anyone contacted Canon's headquarters lately to see if they will divulge the locations of their MRI machines? The last time I tried was nearly two years ago, and the person who answered the phone said Canon's attorneys instructed them not to answer that question.