How to Prepare for India — One of the Loudest Countries in the World?

Milinda

Author
Jun 24, 2019
Tinnitus Since
Cause of Tinnitus
Music
I have had induced tinnitus for 1 year (loud music), and my tinnitus has gotten to a level where I feel I have "recovered" from it --though it is present in my life, I am not bothered by it at all.

I am heading to India for a cousin's wedding this year. I was wondering how I can prepare for the noise level as India is one of the loudest countries in the world with street noise recorded at 100-105 dB daily.

Do earmuffs on top of earplugs help at all? Thanks!

@Milinda just so happens double protection adds maybe 5 dB reduction.

'How does NRR change decibels of exposure?
When hearing protection is worn, your level of exposure to noise is based on the NRR rating of the protection device being used. Keep in mind, however, that while the NRR is measured in decibels, the hearing protector being used does not reduce the surrounding decibel level by the exact number of decibels associated with that protector's NRR. For example, if you are at a rock concert where the level of noise exposure is 100 dB and you are wearing earplugs with an NRR 33dB, your level of exposure would not be reduced to 67 dB. Instead, to determine the actual amount of decibel deduction applied (when decibels are measured dBA which is the most common), you take the NRR number (in dB), subtract seven, and then divide by two. Given the previous example, your noise reduction equation would look like the following: (33-7)/2 = 13''

@Milinda just so happens double protection add maybe 5 dB reduction.

'How does NRR change decibels of exposure?
When hearing protection is worn, your level of exposure to noise is based on the NRR rating of the protection device being used. Keep in mind, however, that while the NRR is measured in decibels, the hearing protector being used does not reduce the surrounding decibel level by the exact number of decibels associated with that protector's NRR. For example, if you are at a rock concert where the level of noise exposure is 100 dB and you are wearing earplugs with an NRR 33dB, your level of exposure would not be reduced to 67 dB. Instead, to determine the actual amount of decibel deduction applied (when decibels are measured dBA which is the most common), you take the NRR number (in dB), subtract seven, and then divide by two. Given the previous example, your noise reduction equation would look like the following: (33-7)/2 = 13''
That is sad news, i thought that noise would have to penetrate through the ear muff and from there penetrate through the ear plugs...

I have had induced tinnitus for 1 year (loud music), and my tinnitus has gotten to a level where I feel I have "recovered" from it --though it is present in my life, I am not bothered by it at all.

I am heading to India for a cousin's wedding this year. I was wondering how I can prepare for the noise level as India is one of the loudest countries in the world with street noise recorded at 100-105 dB daily.

Do earmuffs on top of earplugs help at all? Thanks!

If I were you, I wouldnt go. It's not worth the risk.

You can't live like a hermit. Go and enjoy. I have been to India 50 odd times. Only once with Tinnitus and it was fine.

Just wear ear muffs when driving due to the frequent beeping of the horn and earplugs maybe during wedding functions. You will be fine.

You can't live like a hermit. Go and enjoy. I have been to India 50 odd times. Only once with Tinnitus and it was fine.

Just wear ear muffs when driving due to the frequent beeping of the horn and earplugs maybe during wedding functions. You will be fine.
Since you have been there "50 odd times"...where do you think is the most noisy? I am going to New Delhi>agra>varanasi ...are there places/areas where i should avoid? I plan on being very careful and bring lots of ear plugs with me (i don't know if india sells ear plugs)

While the ear muffs add about 5 db of noise reduction to the ear plugs, they do provide some additional protection as they protect from bone conductance of noise around the ear. I find them useful to wear on top of the plugs when vacuuming, and using the lawn mower.

If your T is not particularly reactive at this point, bring your protection, use it liberally, and enjoy the trip. Remember to protect for the plane ride as well.

What about taking what some say are protective vitamins and minerals? I am taking magnesium because it is supposed to have some protective properties. There are others. I am also taking NAC supposedly for my tinnitus.

Its only on the streets that are noisy where ever you go in India (mainly where there is traffic). The noise is mainly due to the incessant horns as everyone beeps often for no reason (no one has any patience). Overall its not that bad. I went to Delhi in October and didn't notice anything that cause concern. I was more concerned with the noise from the London underground here.

Random firecrackers maybe an issue (they like fireworks in India). I would avoid walking with the groom to the wedding as they play loud music since everyone is dancing.

If I were you, I'd get custom-molded musician's earplugs. These attenuate all frequencies roughly equally so what you hear is not distorted, just quieter, so there is no feeling of being isolated from your surroundings. Also because of the custom mold they are very comfortable to wear even for long stretches, and always have a perfect seal in your ear canal.

I have a pair that reduces noise by -25dB. If you buy a similar pair the 100-105dB noise will be reduced to 75-80dB which is safe (but still perceived as loud so you wouldn't lose out on that experience, either :) ).

(Because of the guaranteed good seal that the custom molding provides I believe the above formula about subtracting 7 and halving doesn't apply - you get the full reduction.)

No way it's 100db
Maybe 80 max
Horns are used to draw attention in traffic
Large city subway will be noisier
Even the plane ride to get there will be noisier

Good 32db plugs will be more than enough.
Better than custom plugs for noise reduction and price

Been there myself recently - Bangalore

Last edited:
If I were you, I wouldnt go. It's not worth the risk.
Lol, I live in India mate. I agree traffic sounds here are the worst, and people just like to honk. But no way it's 100 dB+ consistently. It was always around 70 dB (moderate traffic, with peaks at 100 dB).

Had a question for you though - do you think this traffic (~70 dB with more than occasional horns, lets say 1 every 20-30 secs.l, with around 95-100 dB) can cause damage if you're there for 15 mins daily but with double protection. The reason I ask is my office commute is such that I have to walk around a busy busy road for 15 minutes.

Lol, I live in India mate. I agree traffic sounds here are the worst, and people just like to honk. But no way it's 100 dB+ consistently. It was always around 70 dB (moderate traffic, with peaks at 100 dB).

Had a question for you though - do you think this traffic (~70 dB with more than occasional horns, lets say 1 every 20-30 secs.l, with around 95-100 dB) can cause damage if you're there for 15 mins daily but with double protection. The reason I ask is my office commute is such that I have to walk around a busy busy road for 15 minutes.
For me it can definitely cause lasting damage. I also wanted to add that heavy traffic is usually louder than 70 dB. That's the sound you can perceive driving a car (around 75 dB), but not walking around traffic.

Am I the only person that feels that hearing protection technology is far behind compared to other things around us. We've had earplugs since the late 1800s. There is no way in hell 150 years of tech advancements brought us nearly nothing new.

I understand "bone conduction" exists but you mean to tell me no one has been able to create a head wear lined with sound reducing material?

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now