• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Hyperacusis — No Tinnitus — at Age 16 from Listening to Loud Music Through Earphones?

If you've been prescribed Amoxicillin, then take it.

Please listen to a medical professional before you listen to anyone on this forum.

A bit like @StoneInFocus has said, if you get stuck with this condition (unlikely, btw, as I mentioned before), then you'll learn to navigate it as you get older, and then you can pick and choose what treatments your doctor recommends that you know will be beneficial, or present an unnecessary risk, to your health. But as it stands right now, just do what they say, follow their advice to the letter and chances are you won't become a permanent member of our wonderful club.

Think of it like when you install software on your computer:

If you don't know what you're doing where computers are concerned, then just select the recommended settings.

Once you do know what you're doing however, you can select advanced/custom installation.
Thank you, but I'm pretty sure it's acoustic shock, not an ear infection. I'm seeing my GP tomorrow though, wish me luck.

One stage of the cycle reads "Activation of Nociceptors" which accumulates in "referred pain". Whether you would call it pain hyperacusis or noxacusis, it refers to a particular type of hyperacusis related to tissue damage, not to a type of hyperacusis that is related to how sounds are processed in the brain.
I repeat what I said earlier: we have no definitive animal models for hyperacusis/noxacusis. How are you so sure loudness hyperacusis is in fact strictly a brain issue?

My advice to him is on the balance of probability and current clinical presentation.

How do you reconcile swollen eardrums and ear fullness with a brain issue, particularly after chronic and loud headphone use?
Your advice to him would only make sense if what he is experiencing is in fact noxacusis, wouldn't it?
Not true at all. In any case, referred pain, which is pain, can be delayed. OP says he experiences "earache after a long period of being exposed to sounds like a loud train/bus ride" i.e. delayed pain.
Correct me if I am wrong, but tonic tensor tympani syndrome (TTTS) doesn't necessarily need to be caused by acoustic shock at all. It can be a result of anxiety alone.
Anxiety can aggravate and in theory cause or at least pre-dispose one to TTTS, which is why I also advised to minimise stress as best as he could. In case you missed it, stress is also in the schematic I posted. No doubt stress, whether the underlying cause or not, could make him worse.
The point that I am trying to make is that we don't know what is wrong with @Safari1999's ears yet, and that we should be careful with giving all sorts of drastic advice to avoid worsening his stress. Even if he in fact suffers from what you describe, the fact that his symptoms are so mild yet and he is so young means he will probably be cured, regardless of what he does in the next months.
On the one hand you are saying we don't know what is wrong and we shouldn't be advising, that he has loudness hyperacusis, that it's in the brain and that in time he will probably be fine. You then go on to say though that we shouldn't be advising at all. I believe this is called hypocrisy.

What on earth is a support forum for if it's not to give and/or take advice? At the end of the day he can take it or leave it. If he didn't need help he wouldn't be posting here in the first place.

Finally, how is avoiding loud sounds, ototoxic drugs and minimising stress "drastic"? Lol.

In any case, Amoxicillin is not ototoxic, and if he has a clinical diagnosis of an ear infection by an ENT then he should absolutely take it (assuming he doesn't have a penicillin allergy). But to me his doctor sounds like another misinformed (or lazy) practitioner who doesn't understand the fact that ear inflammation isn't always caused by infection.

I repeat what I said earlier: we have no definitive animal models for hyperacusis/noxacusis. How are you so sure loudness hyperacusis is in fact strictly a brain issue?

My advice to him is on the balance of probability and current clinical presentation.

How do you reconcile swollen eardrums and ear fullness with a brain issue, particularly after chronic and loud headphone use?

Not true at all. In any case, referred pain, which is pain, can be delayed. OP says he experiences "earache after a long period of being exposed to sounds like a loud train/bus ride" i.e. delayed pain.

Anxiety can aggravate and in theory cause or at least pre-dispose one to TTTS, which is why I also advised to minimise stress as best as he could. In case you missed it, stress is also in the schematic I posted. No doubt stress, whether the underlying cause or not, could make him worse.

On the one hand you are saying we don't know what is wrong and we shouldn't be advising, that he has loudness hyperacusis, that it's in the brain and that in time he will probably be fine. You then go on to say though that we shouldn't be advising at all. I believe this is called hypocrisy.

What on earth is a support forum for if it's not to give and/or take advice? At the end of the day he can take it or leave it. If he didn't need help he wouldn't be posting here in the first place.

Finally, how is avoiding loud sounds, ototoxic drugs and minimising stress "drastic"? Lol.

In any case, Amoxicillin is not ototoxic, and if he has a clinical diagnosis of an ear infection by an ENT then he should absolutely take it (assuming he doesn't have a penicillin allergy). But to me his doctor sounds like another misinformed (or lazy) practitioner who doesn't understand the fact that ear inflammation isn't always caused by infection.
I'm a girl.

If you've been prescribed Amoxicillin, then take it.

Please listen to a medical professional before you listen to anyone on this forum.

A bit like @StoneInFocus has said, if you get stuck with this condition (unlikely, btw, as I mentioned before), then you'll learn to navigate it as you get older, and then you can pick and choose what treatments your doctor recommends that you know will be beneficial, or present an unnecessary risk, to your health. But as it stands right now, just do what they say, follow their advice to the letter and chances are you won't become a permanent member of our wonderful club.

Think of it like when you install software on your computer:

If you don't know what you're doing where computers are concerned, then just select the recommended settings.

Once you do know what you're doing however, you can select advanced/custom installation.

View attachment 49818
Solid advice. Newbies just need to stay away from the Suicidal thread imo.

Honestly I would just stay away from this forum for a while. Everyone on here is pessimistic and depressed, but not necessarily realistic.
I am sorry that you are pessimistic and depressed but that does not apply to everyone.

I have been dealing with these issues for a long time and I am neither of what you claim. What I can offer is the benefit of hindsight. Recommendations to protect one's ears, or any other body part after an injury, is quite sound. Caution and care is indeed important in the short term, and so is following a doctor's advice. And I assure you , doctors definitely can get things wrong or recommend things that are detrimental. Believe me, I have firsthand experience with that more than once. But generally, medical counsel should be followed.

It certainly is possible to get the wrong idea by reading the forum since it tends to be populated by those who have more difficult or long-lasting cases. So, if it causes anxiety to be here, then certainly don't dwell. But if it helps someone to take their condition seriously enough to prevent further problems, then I think that is a very good thing, something that I wish I would have had access to in my early days.

I did not argue against advising itself, I argued against drastic advising and threatening with all sorts of doomsday scenarios, big difference here.

@Safari1999 herself said that she has loudness hyperacusis, I never even used that term I believe. Also did not say her hyperacusis is just in the brain, only that that is a possibility but we do not know yet. If you are going to call me a hypocrite, at least read my messages carefully. I am not interested in arguing with you, but I do not think we should be unnecessarily scaring an underage person online.
I am sorry that you are pessimistic and depressed but that does not apply to everyone.
I wanted to address this statement in a previous post but the mods would not let me.
when I said everyone is pessimistic and depressed, I meant that hyperbolically.
And I assure you , doctors definitely can get things wrong or recommend things that are detrimental. Believe me, I have firsthand experience with that more than once.
As someone with debilitating pain hyperacusis, I am very well aware of that.

I did not argue against advising itself, I argued against drastic advising and threatening with all sorts of doomsday scenarios, big difference here.
There is nothing drastic about anything I recommended, nor is anything I advised irreversible. The same cannot be said for most clinical advice when it comes to hyperacusis. I also did not threaten.
@Safari1999 herself said that she has loudness hyperacusis, I never even used that term I believe.
Terms are not important. What is important is clinical presentation, and she has a presentation that is very consistent with the overall acoustic shock cluster.
Also did not say her hyperacusis is just in the brain, only that that is a possibility but we do not know yet.
You literally said it was. Here's what you said:

"Whether you would call it pain hyperacusis or noxacusis, it refers to a particular type of hyperacusis related to tissue damage, not to a type of hyperacusis that is related to how sounds are processed in the brain."

At no point did you say it was a possibility. You then went on to say that:

"Your advice to him would only make sense if what he is experiencing is in fact noxacusis, wouldn't it?"

The implication being that she does not have noxacusis, but as you put it "a type of hyperacusis that is related to how sounds are processed in the brain?"
If you are going to call me a hypocrite, at least read my messages carefully.
I called you a hypocrite because you said we shouldn't be offering advice. Do you not see how that in of itself is advice? You even went as far as saying the following:
the fact that his symptoms are so mild yet and he is so young means he will probably be cured, regardless of what he does in the next months.
This is also advice, as it is effectively telling this person they don't need to worry and shouldn't bother taking any action in the short term (which may affect long term outcome). In short, you recommended inaction as opposed to action, as if doing nothing isn't advice.
I am not interested in arguing with you, but I do not think we should be unnecessarily scaring an underage person online.
People's lives have been ruined by this condition. I see no point in sugarcoating anything, even for a teenager, as doing so entertains the possibility of putting them at further risk. If anything, teenagers sometimes need fear to take action, for they do not always consider the consequences of their actions (or inactions) seriously. Having said that, I do not believe what I said was scary. Life-long hyperacusis, on the other hand, is terrifying.

I stand by my advice that she should be extremely careful with sound in the immediate weeks that follow. Most of us who still linger are those who were advised to "push through" and "be brave", which was horrific advice.

There is nothing drastic about anything I recommended, nor is anything I advised irreversible. The same cannot be said for most clinical advice when it comes to hyperacusis. I also did not threaten.
When I talked about drastic advice and doomsday scenarios, I was not only referring to you here. Someone in this thread even said:

"I'm confident your condition will improve but even if and when it does you now have an underlying condition that sets you apart from your peers and that you'll have to be aware of which is a challenge when you're still so young and want to try things out and discover the world."

Don't you realize how incredibly toxic that is to say to a 16 year old? For all we know the symptoms could subside once the infection goes away. That in combination with what you said:

"As you are in the acute stage, the actions you take in the short term can have a huge impact on your long term outlook"
Terms are not important. What is important is clinical presentation, and she has a presentation that is very consistent with the overall acoustic shock cluster.

You literally said [her hyperacusis is just in the brain]. Here's what you said:

"Whether you would call it pain hyperacusis or noxacusis, it refers to a particular type of hyperacusis related to tissue damage, not to a type of hyperacusis that is related to how sounds are processed in the brain."
Apparently you do not understand what "literally" means.

"Your advice to him would only make sense if what he is experiencing is in fact noxacusis, wouldn't it?"

The implication being that she does not have noxacusis, but as you put it "a type of hyperacusis that is related to how sounds are processed in the brain?"
Before you try to infer all sorts of implied meanings behind my post, you should read my earlier messages, in which I explained that, based on her symptoms, we do not know the mechanism behind her sound sensitivity, it could be mental, but also somatic.
I called you a hypocrite because you said we shouldn't be offering advice. Do you not see how that in of itself is advice?
Already addressed the difference between advising itself and giving drastic advice in my previous post. Never did I once say we should not give any advice whatsoever. No offense, but please work on your reading comprehension.
Most of us who still linger are those who were advised to "push through" and "be brave", which was horrific advice.
I am willing to bet "most of us" are quite a few years older, already suffering from tinnitus, have listened to way too much music, have ignored pain signals for way too long etc. There's just no way her hyperacusis is irreversible already. Besides that, it will probably be a couple of years at worst before Kv7.2/Kv7.3 channel activators come out. In no way is lifelong hyperacusis even in the picture yet.

Again, I am not interested in arguing with you, but if you call me a hypocrite I have no choice but to defend myself against these accusations.

You literally said it was. Here's what you said:

I called you a hypocrite because you said we shouldn't be offering advice. Do you not see how that in of itself is advice? You even went as far as saying the following:

This is also advice, as it is effectively telling this person they don't need to worry and shouldn't bother taking any action in the short term (which may affect long term outcome). In short, you recommended inaction as opposed to action, as if doing nothing isn't advice.

People's lives have been ruined by this condition. I see no point in sugarcoating anything, even for a teenager, as doing so entertains the possibility of putting them at further risk. If anything, teenagers sometimes need fear to take action, for they do not always consider the consequences of their actions (or inactions) seriously. Having said that, I do not believe what I said was scary. Life-long hyperacusis, on the other hand, is terrifying.

I stand by my advice that she should be extremely careful with sound in the immediate weeks that follow. Most of us who still linger are those who were advised to "push through" and "be brave", which was horrific advice.
Just a question, is my hyperacusis mild or severe given that it has (a) lasted just over a week (b) doesn't cause me pain but just discomfort (c) has developed enough to the extent that I find the voices of loud people uncomfortable?

I think this will help me with my recovery :)

Don't you realize how incredibly toxic that is to say to a 16 year old? For all we know the symptoms could subside once the infection goes away.
We do not even know if she has an infection.
That in combination with what you said:

"As you are in the acute stage, the actions you take in the short term can have a huge impact on your long term outlook"
Key word: "can". In any case, I do not have time to argue biology with you. Treatment during acute stage of any injury often plays a significant role in long term prognosis. Fact. You will of course argue "we do not know if she has an injury". Maybe not (even if my personal belief is otherwise), but that doesn't mean she can't take immediate actions that would only benefit her in the event it is an injury i.e. acoustic shock/inflamed middle ear. The alternative is do nothing now, find out in a year from now that she indeed have acoustic shock, but by then it becomes much more difficult to do anything about it.
Apparently you do not understand what "literally" means.
Seems like you'd rather play with words than take ownership of what you said. Just admit what you implied rather than trying to backtrack.
Before you try to infer all sorts of implied meanings behind my post, you should read my earlier messages, in which I explained that, based on her symptoms, we do not know the mechanism behind her sound sensitivity, it could be mental, but also somatic.
You said it was in the brain, but you also said she has an infection. So I thought you knew?
Already addressed the difference between advising itself and giving drastic advice in my previous post. Never did I once say we should not give any advice whatsoever. No offense, but please work on your reading comprehension.
You said we should be careful, as if to suggest then we should all just sit back and do nothing. Who are you to determine who gives what advice on this forum? And as I said, if a support forum is not to give advice, then what is it for?
I am willing to bet "most of us" are quite a few years older, already suffering from tinnitus, have listened to way too much music, have ignored pain signals for way too long etc. There's just no way her hyperacusis is irreversible already. Besides that, it will probably be a couple of years at worst before Kv7.2/Kv7.3 channel activators come out. In no way is lifelong hyperacusis even in the picture yet.
If you were on this forum for long enough, you'd know how many have pulled the plug before a treatment has ever become available - which we are still waiting for. So lifelong hyperacusis is very much on the cards for anyone who doesn't have the patience of a saint to wait for one. We have no guarantee that potassium channel drugs will help every single patient, as it's possible pathology can vary.
Again, I am not interested in arguing with you, but if you call me a hypocrite I have no choice but to defend myself against these accusations.
I do not wish to argue either, but equally I am not going to sit back and watch a 16 year old suffer without offering some advice that I and others have acquired through the benefit of hindsight and experience. If that means I need to convince her not to listen to you, then I have no choice but to call bullshit when I see it. I am not on this forum for popularity points, but having said that you are the first and only person I have fallen out with since I've been on here, (other than Michael Leigh, but he doesn't count because every other hyperacusis sufferer falls out with him also).

When I talked about drastic advice and doomsday scenarios, I was not only referring to you here. Someone in this thread even said:

"I'm confident your condition will improve but even if and when it does you now have an underlying condition that sets you apart from your peers and that you'll have to be aware of which is a challenge when you're still so young and want to try things out and discover the world."

Don't you realize how incredibly toxic that is to say to a 16 year old? For all we know the symptoms could subside once the infection goes away.
One more thing. You have mentioned the word "drastic" to describe the advice myself and others have given. Let's talk about what drastic really is.

Drastic is confining yourself to a room 24/7 because you are in continuous fear of the decibel volume outside your four walls. Drastic is soundproofing your car and putting up acoustic curtains in your room. Drastic is having to wear ear protection every time you leave the house. Drastic is having to sell your house because you can no longer pay the bills because you had to quit your job which was causing you pain, because it was too loud. Drastic is having to give up a lifetime of socialising and dating, because you become a burden when it comes to anyone else having any kind of fun in your presence whatsoever. Drastic is having to eat all the time with plastic cutlery and plates and cups because the sound of metallic cutlery pierces through the ears like a knife. Drastic is having to confine all your communication with the outside world via text or email, because a phone call or voice message is too much too handle. Drastic is having to give up your favourite hobbies, such as playing music or watching movies or playing sports. Drastic is having to present your loved ones with research and medical papers to try and make an argument that you are not in fact crazy and you have not lost your mind.

The above are just some of the sacrifices myself and others have made as part of having to live with this hell of a condition. So please do not ever preach to me or anyone else on here again with this condition about what "drastic" is. The advice I have given pales into comparison with the compromises I and others have made to accommodate this condition when it reaches its worst ever state, advice which may in the long term prevent her from having to make the same compromises and sacrifices.

Just a question, is my hyperacusis mild or severe given that it has (a) lasted just over a week (b) doesn't cause me pain but just discomfort (c) has developed enough to the extent that I find the voices of loud people uncomfortable?

Just stay away from loud noises and people while your body heals. Preferably give your ears a complete rest i.e. no TV/YouTube etc for a few days/weeks (gauge it as you see it). Use ear protection if you feel uncomfortable. Avoid stressful triggers in your life. Drink ionic liquid Magnesium. Or do none of this, because apparently someone here thinks it's too "drastic".

It does not sound severe to me, actually pretty normal. Certainly, this can be very frightening, but most people do recover.

I hope you have started your antibiotics to address any potential medical issues. I would also continue to be very careful with noise exposure for the first month (and always for loud noises). After that I would try to ease yourself into normal activities. Hyperacusis can resolve in a few months but it could take much longer, and it doesn't always resolve on its own. If it doesn't resolve on its own then definitely see an audiologist, preferably one with experience treating hyperacusis patients. They can guide you through treatment.

I think you should ditch the earbuds and headphones for good just because it is so easy to turn up the sound level too much without immediately realizing it. Even sounds levels that are not considered damaging can lead to longer-term hearing loss, and after you have injured your ears once it could be easier to do so again.

It is often the case after an injury that people do recover well but retain vulnerabilities in that area, and continued caution throughout life is important. That just means avoiding the extremes and following well-known advice that is so easy to ignore when healthy.

Just stay away from loud noises and people while your body heals. Preferably give your ears a complete rest i.e. no TV/YouTube etc for a few days/weeks (gauge it as you see it). Use ear protection if you feel uncomfortable. Avoid stressful triggers in your life. Drink ionic liquid Magnesium. Or do none of this, because apparently someone here thinks it's too "drastic".
Got the Magnesium in the mail today, do you have any recommendations on how to consume it?

I think I'm safe to watch YouTube/TV on low volumes with earplugs in, however.

Honestly, I think I've calmed down a lot and I'm positive I'll get better. I thank you a lot for your advice :)

It does not sound severe to me, actually pretty normal. Certainly, this can be very frightening, but most people do recover.

I hope you have started your antibiotics to address any potential medical issues. I would also continue to be very careful with noise exposure for the first month (and always for loud noises). After that I would try to ease yourself into normal activities. Hyperacusis can resolve in a few months but it could take much longer, and it doesn't always resolve on its own. If it doesn't resolve on its own then definitely see an audiologist, preferably one with experience treating hyperacusis patients. They can guide you through treatment.

I think you should ditch the earbuds and headphones for good just because it is so easy to turn up the sound level too much without immediately realizing it. Even sounds levels that are not considered damaging can lead to longer-term hearing loss, and after you have injured your ears once it could be easier to do so again.

It is often the case after an injury that people do recover well but retain vulnerabilities in that area, and continued caution throughout life is important. That just means avoiding the extremes and following well-known advice that is so easy to ignore when healthy.
I went to the GP today and turns out I have no ear infection. Maybe some people on here are right about incompetent medical professionals... Good news is that I was referred to an ENT!

I stopped using earbuds/earphones about a month ago and I don't think I will ever go back to them again. The thing that makes me mad is that this acoustic trauma was caused by something as benign as TV that happened to be too loud (even for normal ears). If something like that could make me go through all of this then I need to be incredibly careful not only outside but at home too...

Any earplug recommendations? The ones I use at the moment have the occlusion effect (unless this isn't harmful and I can just save my money lol).

I do not wish to argue either, but equally I am not going to sit back and watch a 16 year old suffer without offering some advice that I and others have acquired through the benefit of hindsight and experience. If that means I need to convince her not to listen to you, then I have no choice but to call bullshit when I see it. I am not on this forum for popularity points, but having said that you are the first and only person I have fallen out with since I've been on here, (other than Michael Leigh, but he doesn't count because every other hyperacusis sufferer falls out with him also).
I am not even going to read all the other stuff you wrote because you obviously do not read mine. I can repeat for the third time what I meant by my messages, but unfortunately it will fall on deaf ears I am afraid. You are twisting my messages to make me appear like some sort of Michael Leigh type boogeyman who thinks hyperacusis is just a mental phenomenon, which I do not. I think it's problematic you think you are qualified to give out advice because you don't make any effort to understand what people are saying in the first place. You are free to advise what you want, but I will also give advice however I see fit.
The above are just some of the sacrifices myself and others have made as part of having to live with this hell of a condition. So please do not ever preach to me or anyone else on here again with this condition about what "drastic" is. The advice I have given pales into comparison with the compromises I and others have made to accommodate this condition when it reaches its worst ever state, advice which may in the long term prevent her from having to make the same compromises and sacrifices.
I'll preach however I want, when I want. Can't handle criticism? Stay out of this forum. You have a victim mentality where everyone who hasn't suffered exactly the same things as you is suddenly not qualified to speak about things anymore. Your pity party will not silence me. You don't think I know how bad hyperacusis can get? Usually, when people suffer from tragedy they'll acquire the ability for compassion and humility. But unfortunately you have learned absolutely nothing it seems.

I am not even going to read all the other stuff you wrote because you obviously do not read mine. I can repeat for the third time what I meant by my messages, but unfortunately it will fall on deaf ears I am afraid. You are twisting my messages to make me appear like some sort of Michael Leigh type boogeyman who thinks hyperacusis is just a mental phenomenon, which I do not. I think it's problematic you think you are qualified to give out advice because you don't make any effort to understand what people are saying in the first place. You are free to advise what you want, but I will also give advice however I see fit.

I'll preach however I want, when I want. Can't handle criticism? Stay out of this forum. You have a victim mentality where everyone who hasn't suffered exactly the same things as you is suddenly not qualified to speak about things anymore. Your pity party will not silence me. You don't think I know how bad hyperacusis can get? Usually, when people suffer from tragedy they'll acquire the ability for compassion and humility. But unfortunately you have learned absolutely nothing it seems.
I understand that threads can diverge from the main topic a bit, but I would encourage all to try to keep this thread focused on the original topic. There must be other avenues more appropriate for hashing out other issues. Peace all.

Got the Magnesium in the mail today, do you have any recommendations on how to consume it?

I think I'm safe to watch YouTube/TV on low volumes with earplugs in, however.

Honestly, I think I've calmed down a lot and I'm positive I'll get better. I thank you a lot for your advice :)
I take it you got ionic Magnesium in liquid form? If so, start out with 400 mg a day mixed with water or juice and feel free to up it to twice a day if you see benefit. If you take too much you'll know (you might get some loose stools, but nothing to worry about). Let us know how you get on.

By the way, do you have any other symptoms that are not directly related to your ears?

I went to the GP today and turns out I have no ear infection. Maybe some people on here are right about incompetent medical professionals... Good news is that I was referred to an ENT!

I stopped using earbuds/earphones about a month ago and I don't think I will ever go back to them again. The thing that makes me mad is that this acoustic trauma was caused by something as benign as TV that happened to be too loud (even for normal ears). If something like that could make me go through all of this then I need to be incredibly careful not only outside but at home too...

Any earplug recommendations? The ones I use at the moment have the occlusion effect (unless this isn't harmful and I can just save my money lol).
Glad to hear about the referral. I don't know what the ENT will do, but you should ask about any tests he wants to do. You need to understand what they are exploring and how the test will actually help them with that.

When I went to see an ENT I was rather naive medically and just went along with whatever they wanted to do. My hyperacusis was clearly caused by a noise trauma. One of the tests they did involved putting electrodes on my head, headphones on my ears and then proceeded with a series of clicks through the headphones. I didn't find out until long afterwards that the purpose of the test was to look for a tumor, which was really stupid and unnecessary in my case. Immediately after the test I found that I could no longer tolerate some sounds that I previously had no problem with. That test caused a permanent worsening of my hyperacusis.

So, I would be careful with anything like that, though the ENT might want to do other tests possibly using headphones that might be fine. I would also likely be careful with any tests designed to measure your sensitivity level to loud noises. That usually uses headphones with increasingly louder tones until it is clearly a problem for you. I have heard that has exacerbated the hyperacusis for some people, and it really does nothing but satisfy the ENT's curiosity and provide a "baseline," but would really make no difference with any treatment. So just make sure you are well informed and an active participant with anything the ENT wants to do.
Yes, neck pain and some facial pain. Also, will the occlusion effect from earplugs negatively affect me?
In moderation, no. But that is the key. Use them to protect your ears from loud noises or for a while (the first month) as necessary from discomfort. But I wouldn't use them all the time. Earplugs are like shoes, you have to try different ones to find those that fit well without causing problems. Ill-fitting earplugs used too much can definitely irritate ear canals and even cause inflammation, so fit is important. Ultimately, earplugs are not the solution, they are only a temporary or occasional tool to protect your ears. Though some people find they must use them extensively, those are outlier cases.

I think it's problematic you think you are qualified to give out advice
I never said I was. I simply offered it, because that is what this forum is for. In fact, you were the first person in the entire thread to preach to everyone else about what we should or should not be saying. And even though I disagree with everything you say, I have never once said you shouldn't be allowed to say it.
I'll preach however I want, when I want. Can't handle criticism? Stay out of this forum. You have a victim mentality where everyone who hasn't suffered exactly the same things as you is suddenly not qualified to speak about things anymore. Your pity party will not silence me.
Since when did this become handling criticism? This is about different perspectives on what someone is suffering from and it would appear you are the one who can't handle an opinion that does not follow your own. I do not need pity, nor do I have a victim mentality, but it is true my life was turned upside down, as have those of many others on here. It is about perspective. I find it completely unreal for you to describe anything me or others have suggested as "drastic". Drastic is exactly what I described: the potential alternatives if she is not careful. I have no problem saying I'm not qualified because at the end of the day all I have to offer is an opinion, which this person can take or leave. What I do have a problem with is YOU gatekeeping myself and others on here about what we can or can't say when it comes to giving advice.
You don't think I know how bad hyperacusis can get? Usually, when people suffer from tragedy they'll acquire the ability for compassion and humility. But unfortunately you have learned absolutely nothing it seems.
If I didn't have empathy, I would not still be returning to this forum to offer my time and advice (for whatever it is worth) to help others, or on other platforms for that matter. If I was not empathetic, I would not be donating to the running of this forum or hyperacusis research. If I was not empathetic, I would not be writing emails to researchers every other week about anecdotal data from the community.

In fact, until the last few days, one of the last times I was on here was to answer a question you had to one of my comments, despite the fact I hadn't been on here in months. I could have ignored the notification, but I still came on here and posted, even though I've never met you. I'm not making that out to be a big deal, because it wasn't, but one thing I am not lacking in is empathy. Believe it or not my heart breaks for anyone who has this condition - including yourself, even if I disagree with you - which is why I am very vocal about anything that I believe could put someone at further risk.

Glad to hear about the referral. I don't know what the ENT will do, but you should ask about any tests he wants to do. You need to understand what they are exploring and how the test will actually help them with that.

When I went to see an ENT I was rather naive medically and just went along with whatever they wanted to do. My hyperacusis was clearly caused by a noise trauma. One of the tests they did involved putting electrodes on my head, headphones on my ears and then proceeded with a series of clicks through the headphones. I didn't find out until long afterwards that the purpose of the test was to look for a tumor, which was really stupid and unnecessary in my case. Immediately after the test I found that I could no longer tolerate some sounds that I previously had no problem with. That test caused a permanent worsening of my hyperacusis.

So, I would be careful with anything like that, though the ENT might want to do other tests possibly using headphones that might be fine. I would also likely be careful with any tests designed to measure your sensitivity level to loud noises. That usually uses headphones with increasingly louder tones until it is clearly a problem for you. I have heard that has exacerbated the hyperacusis for some people, and it really does nothing but satisfy the ENT's curiosity and provide a "baseline," but would really make no difference with any treatment. So just make sure you are well informed and an active participant with anything the ENT wants to do.

In moderation, no. But that is the key. Use them to protect your ears from loud noises or for a while (the first month) as necessary from discomfort. But I wouldn't use them all the time. Earplugs are like shoes, you have to try different ones to find those that fit well without causing problems. Ill-fitting earplugs used too much can definitely irritate ear canals and even cause inflammation, so fit is important. Ultimately, earplugs are not the solution, they are only a temporary or occasional tool to protect your ears. Though some people find they must use them extensively, those are outlier cases.
Thanks a lot. I suppose you've been suffering for quite a while. How are your symptoms?

Yes, neck pain and some facial pain. Also, will the occlusion effect from earplugs negatively affect me?
So as I mentioned previously, this to me is consistent with acoustic shock because you are exhibiting symptoms of referred pain (see this paper, but don't stress if you don't understand it). It is more than probable that your neck and face pain are related to your ear symptoms. This is why I also said it would be helpful to avoid bad posture these next few weeks and any hinging at the neck i.e. looking down too much at your phone etc.

So as I mentioned previously, this to me is consistent with acoustic shock because you are exhibiting symptoms of referred pain (see this paper, but don't stress if you don't understand it). It is more than probable that your neck and face pain are related to your ear symptoms. This is why I also said it would be helpful to avoid bad posture these next few weeks and any hinging at the neck i.e. looking down too much at your phone etc.
I struggle to hear people when there is noise in the background, do you think this will go away as I heal? Acoustic shock is supposed to last a couple days at most but it's been over a week for me, I'm worried this is permanent.

Thanks a lot. I suppose you've been suffering for quite a while. How are your symptoms?
My situation is a bit different. My problem started over 37 years ago when not as much was known and there was no internet. I struggled on my own for about 4 years just using earplugs as necessary.

I finally went to see 3 different ENTs. The first was a moron and just made things worse. The second had no clue. The third actually was familiar, diagnosed the issue, gave me a brochure and said there was nothing to be done. He recommended earplugs and earmuffs as necessary, but of course I had already been doing that. So I went on my way doing exactly what I had been doing and changing my life as needed to get by.

The inevitable unpredictability of life caused my condition to worsen significantly several times, and each time I adjusted and continued to make my way. About 5 years ago (relatively recent for me) things got worse still. Recently I decided to look into things again, saw a TRT-trained audiologist with years of experience, got some sound generators and started using them per instructions, which was a disaster and the audiologist was no help.

Then I saw a reference to Dr. Jastreboff's book (the "father" of TRT). So I bought that, studied it carefully and after what was a 3 month hiatus decided to give the sound generators another try to address the hyperacusis. I jettisoned the advice of the audiologist, whom I am no longer in contact with, and have gone my own way. It's been about 6 weeks and I indeed have noted some improvement. This is encouraging considering how long I have had to deal with hyperacusis and also considering my age. Young people always recover easier and quicker, and results are typically better when addressed early.

So, right now I get by mostly ok. I am not generally using earplugs in the house, but I still use them when in the car, in stores and when using equipment, whether in the kitchen or in the yard. I don't listen to music but do sometimes watch some TV, though not a lot. Last year I mostly just looked forward to death, but this year I'm doing ok with my lifestyle and it is possible that things could improve even more with continued use of the sound generators. Even if not, I feel that I'm basically ok in my situation.

Though my experience with healthcare providers has not gone well, I don't think that needs to be the universal case, so don't quickly ignore or reject their diagnoses, recommendations or treatments.

It is likely that you will make a full recovery, and your life will continue as before. So do hold onto that. Much more is known now, information if far easier to obtain, new treatments are on the horizon and there are many solid success stories of which you can be another.

My situation is a bit different. My problem started over 37 years ago when not as much was known and there was no internet. I struggled on my own for about 4 years just using earplugs as necessary.

I finally went to see 3 different ENTs. The first was a moron and just made things worse. The second had no clue. The third actually was familiar, diagnosed the issue, gave me a brochure and said there was nothing to be done. He recommended earplugs and earmuffs as necessary, but of course I had already been doing that. So I went on my way doing exactly what I had been doing and changing my life as needed to get by.

The inevitable unpredictability of life caused my condition to worsen significantly several times, and each time I adjusted and continued to make my way. About 5 years ago (relatively recent for me) things got worse still. Recently I decided to look into things again, saw a TRT-trained audiologist with years of experience, got some sound generators and started using them per instructions, which was a disaster and the audiologist was no help.

Then I saw a reference to Dr. Jastreboff's book (the "father" of TRT). So I bought that, studied it carefully and after what was a 3 month hiatus decided to give the sound generators another try to address the hyperacusis. I jettisoned the advice of the audiologist, whom I am no longer in contact with, and have gone my own way. It's been about 6 weeks and I indeed have noted some improvement. This is encouraging considering how long I have had to deal with hyperacusis and also considering my age. Young people always recover easier and quicker, and results are typically better when addressed early.

So, right now I get by mostly ok. I am not generally using earplugs in the house, but I still use them when in the car, in stores and when using equipment, whether in the kitchen or in the yard. I don't listen to music but do sometimes watch some TV, though not a lot. Last year I mostly just looked forward to death, but this year I'm doing ok with my lifestyle and it is possible that things could improve even more with continued use of the sound generators. Even if not, I feel that I'm basically ok in my situation.

Though my experience with healthcare providers has not gone well, I don't think that needs to be the universal case, so don't quickly ignore or reject their diagnoses, recommendations or treatments.

It is likely that you will make a full recovery, and your life will continue as before. So do hold onto that. Much more is known now, information if far easier to obtain, new treatments are on the horizon and there are many solid success stories of which you can be another.
I don't know you but I'm so glad you have improved, it must have been incredibly difficult dealing with hyperacusis for all those decades. I hope I can develop even a fraction of your resilience :) I think that your experience was not in vain at all because here you are helping me and others.

How many hours each day are you wearing and listening to the sound generators? How loud do you generally have them set and are you listening to pink noise?

I struggle to hear people when there is noise in the background, do you think this will go away as I heal? Acoustic shock is supposed to last a couple days at most but it's been over a week for me, I'm worried this is permanent.
It's possible you have some transient conductive hearing loss from ongoing inflammation and fullness, but it's also very well possible you may have some permanent synaptopathy in your cochlea (death of synapses, which are what help you hear detail in noisy situations). Thankfully there are treatments on the way for synaptopathy and hopefully will be available in a few years, so do not worry too much about that if your hearing is otherwise fine. The biggest priority is to manage your ears and symptoms now and avoid any further worsening.

It's possible you have some transient conductive hearing loss from ongoing inflammation and fullness, but it's also very well possible you may have some permanent synaptopathy in your cochlea (death of synapses, which are what help you hear detail in noisy situations). Thankfully there are treatments on the way for synaptopathy and hopefully will be available in a few years, so do not worry too much about that if your hearing is otherwise fine. The biggest priority is to manage your ears and symptoms now and avoid any further worsening.
I'm confused about that last part, does 'manage' mean I can restore my hearing or will I not be able to do that?

Also, should I protect my ears from ALL sounds that make me uncomfortable? Even sounds like my family's voices?

Thanks for the advice BTW :)

I'm confused about that last part, does 'manage' mean I can restore my hearing or will I not be able to do that?

Also, should I protect my ears from ALL sounds that make me uncomfortable? Even sounds like my family's voices?

Thanks for the advice BTW :)
If you genuinely think you have hearing loss you should get an audiogram ASAP. It is not exactly reliable in terms of giving a clear picture of what's happening in your cochlea, but it will at least show if you have serious damage to your outer hair cells. If the audiogram doesn't show anything and you still feel like you can't hear well, then you may have synaptic loss, in which case you'll need a regenerative drug in the years coming.

By manage, I mean manage your acoustic shock and lifestyle so that your sensitivity to sound does not worsen any further - meaning avoid loud environments for the time being, headphone use, protect your ears when necessary etc. If your family's voices make you uncomfortable, you could try asking them to speak in a softer voice while they are around you in these initial stages of recovery. If they can't do it, wear ear plugs. If that still doesn't help, perhaps better to not be around them too much while you're recovering.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now