• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Hyperacusis and Overprotecting vs Underprotecting Hearing — Let's Discuss Specific Scenarios

Can you clarify your comment above please.

I have pain hyperacusis. My son and his family live 1 hour and 40 minutes away. Since the onset of tinnitus and hyperacusis I have not gone to visit them.

Are you saying that anyone with hyperacusis should not be travelling on freeways at all?

I can see why but I don't want to miss out on seeing my son and grandchildren... it is easier for them for me to go there than to bring five children (one just a few weeks old) to my house.

What if someone else drives and I wear ear plugs and ear muffs? Would that work?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Go for it. I would recommend foam earplugs and earmuffs for the first trip and then if that's comfortable after a while then try to just use earplugs when you're driving. And if that's comfortable, I would use concert earplugs and then as those are getting comfortable you can change the strength of the comfort earplugs and after many many months of this you might find that you don't really need them at all.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now