Hyperacusis and Tinnitus Following Acoustic Shock: How Can I Continue My Life?

I've been experiencing palinacousis on and off for the past four months. It tends to mimic repetitive sounds I hear daily, usually faint ones or those I notice while wearing earmuffs. For instance, I often hear distant police or fire sirens from my home, and sometimes my brain turns these into a form of tinnitus that I notice almost daily, especially during a spike. Some days, I don't hear it at all, but if I consciously recall the sound, it tends to reappear. The same goes for noises like refrigerators or leaf blowers.

I find these mimicked sounds to be one of the more manageable types of tinnitus, as they're purely neurological and seem likely to fade over time. In fact, there were many sounds I used to hear that have completely disappeared, so I stay fairly calm whenever a new one shows up—though the whole experience can still freak me out.

I've also been experiencing palinacousis on and off since I took Prednisolone two months ago. I've had tinnitus since April, and the medication (in August) added a bunch of new sounds, as well as the palinacousis. I didn't have it every day, but my brain would pick up noises like the vacuum cleaner, lawn mower, or even music. For example, two weeks ago, I listened to some music from an app called Bloom (by Brian Eno) for five minutes as I was starting to reintroduce music. The music continued playing in my head for a few minutes after I finished. This experience felt distinctly different from simply having a song stuck in my head, which used to happen to me regularly. In this case, it was as if I was actually hearing it, rather than just thinking of it like with an earworm.

All of this coincided with some auditory deprivation, as I had experienced an acoustic shock (the reason for taking the steroids) and had stopped listening to music, often wearing earplugs. Fortunately, this has been happening less now that I've been reintroducing sound.

If possible, I'd avoid taking benzodiazepines, especially not three times a day. They can really make tinnitus worse in the long run when you try to come off them.

I've also been experiencing palinacousis on and off since I took Prednisolone two months ago. I've had tinnitus since April, and the medication (in August) added a bunch of new sounds, as well as the palinacousis. I didn't have it every day, but my brain would pick up noises like the vacuum cleaner, lawn mower, or even music. For example, two weeks ago, I listened to some music from an app called Bloom (by Brian Eno) for five minutes as I was starting to reintroduce music. The music continued playing in my head for a few minutes after I finished. This experience felt distinctly different from simply having a song stuck in my head, which used to happen to me regularly. In this case, it was as if I was actually hearing it, rather than just thinking of it like with an earworm.

All of this coincided with some auditory deprivation, as I had experienced an acoustic shock (the reason for taking the steroids) and had stopped listening to music, often wearing earplugs. Fortunately, this has been happening less now that I've been reintroducing sound.

If possible, I'd avoid taking benzodiazepines, especially not three times a day. They can really make tinnitus worse in the long run when you try to come off them.
Thank you for your reply, @Nettles. It sounds like you're going through something very similar. I've experienced the same issue with songs—it felt like I had an MP3 playing in my ears for a few minutes. I've stopped listening to music because I'm afraid it will stick in my brain.

The phrase "next stop is..." from the bus got stuck in my head, even though I was wearing earmuffs and earplugs, so I wonder if sound deprivation might be causing this issue. Have you ever had a song or voice stick with you for weeks or months? It's been almost seven weeks now with this "next station is..." phrase, and I'm worried it might stay forever.

I also took Prednisolone in July, right after my acoustic trauma, and palinacousis started about six weeks later. I don't plan on taking any benzodiazepines; I'm just hoping for some improvement over time.

You're around six months post-trauma now—have you noticed any improvement in your hyperacusis? Thanks ❤️
I've been experiencing palinacousis on and off for the past four months. It tends to mimic repetitive sounds I hear daily, usually faint ones or those I notice while wearing earmuffs. For instance, I often hear distant police or fire sirens from my home, and sometimes my brain turns these into a form of tinnitus that I notice almost daily, especially during a spike. Some days, I don't hear it at all, but if I consciously recall the sound, it tends to reappear. The same goes for noises like refrigerators or leaf blowers.

I find these mimicked sounds to be one of the more manageable types of tinnitus, as they're purely neurological and seem likely to fade over time. In fact, there were many sounds I used to hear that have completely disappeared, so I stay fairly calm whenever a new one shows up—though the whole experience can still freak me out.
Thanks for your reply, @in_the_shadows. I also have the same issue with sirens and repetitive sounds, but they usually subside after a few days. It's just this "next stop is..." voice that won't go away. Have you ever had a voice stick with you for weeks or even months?

Thanks ❤️

Thanks for your reply, @yeezysqueezy 🥰 How are you managing today? Are you able to do some activities? Can you watch TV and listen to music without any issues?

My doctor prescribed this benzo for daily use, and I'm supposed to take it three times a day—in the morning, in the evening, and before bed. However, I don't think I'll take it, as I'm afraid it might make things worse, just as you mentioned.

I still don't know how I'll make the "next stop is" voice disappear.

Thank you for everything ❤️
You're welcome! I know this situation is difficult, but I believe time is often the best remedy for palinacousis. In the meantime, anything you can do to increase your natural GABA levels and calm your nervous system, like exercise, good sleep, meditation, and a healthy diet, could help. Personally, I find the keto diet beneficial for my migraines, and I think it may also slightly improve auditory symptoms.

I've noticed that my symptoms get significantly worse after any acute injury to my auditory system. For instance, when I took naproxen or tried mushrooms to help with my hyperacusis (which didn't work, by the way), it made things worse. For me, it usually takes several months for symptoms to subside.

As for hyperacusis, I had been making good progress, but I recently experienced a setback. I'll soon be tapering off a medication, phenobarbital, which is essentially a stronger benzo that was prescribed for my migraines back in 2020. There's a strong chance this medication is the root cause of my hyperacusis, as I'm likely experiencing tolerance withdrawal. If I had known in 2020 what I know now, I would have never touched it.

Thanks for your reply, @in_the_shadows. I also have the same issue with sirens and repetitive sounds, but they usually subside after a few days. It's just this "next stop is..." voice that won't go away. Have you ever had a voice stick with you for weeks or even months?

Thanks ❤️
I haven't experienced voices stuck in my head, but I do get repetitive sounds and simple tunes, like a phone ringing. I've had an ambulance siren stuck in my head for about three months now. I'd take that any day over more disturbing sounds, like whistles and screeches, which I hear during spikes.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now