• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Hyperacusis Is Not Always Permanent: After 6 Months of CBT and TRT, I'm Back to My Noisy Job

Isn't there always a danger that tinnitus can get worse if you aren't careful?

Isn't the ever standing threat that it can get worse?
You raise two interesting points @Jupiterman which I have addressed in various posts on my started threads. I mostly advise on noise-induced tinnitus, with or without hyperacusis, because I am familiar with both conditions. Please read Hyperacusis, As I See It, The Habituation Process, How to Habituate to Tinnitus, Tinnitus and the Negative Mindset, Acquiring a Positive Mindset, The Complexities of Tinnitus and Hyperacusis.

I suggest you print the posts, this way you will absorb and retain the information better than reading on your phone or computer screen.

I agree with you that it's important one is careful of loud sounds but not to become overly fearful of them, as this can instil negative thinking which can cause other symptoms associated with noise-induced tinnitus to develop. This is covered in Hyperacusis, As I See It and The Complexities of Tinnitus and Hyperacusis. Some people immediately reach for earplugs, earmuffs or sound level meter at the slightest indication of raised sound levels, which I don't think is good for one's mental and emotional well-being.

I believe one should move on after habituation has been reached and enjoy their life, not to burden themselves with the constant threat that their tinnitus will get worse. Noise-induced tinnitus will usually remain stable for many years after habituation has been reached. The usual reason for it to become worse is further exposure to overly loud sounds or using headphones. I have covered this in my thread: Can I Habituate to Variable Tinnitus?

All the best,
Michael

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now