I Have 12 Months to Recover from Tinnitus: What Treatments Can I Try? Budget $450,000.

Discussion in 'Support' started by GBB, Sep 14, 2020.

1. cjbhab
      Confused

cjbhab Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinuses, Ear infection
      This tells me that loud noise alone does not cause permanent chronic tinnitus. If it did, the entire world would have what we have and everyone would be in panic.

Loud noise may cause temporary shift in hearing or ringing sounds - but something else is at play when it becomes permanent and chronic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. RunningMan
      Stressed

RunningMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      HiFrq ~2000, Increased 2022, LoFrq ~2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise - clubs, stereos, cycles, headphones, engines,etc
      It seems whether I pay attention to my tinnitus or not, it still makes a huge impact with anxiety, depression, insomnia going on 18+ months since a worsening of tinnitus. From what I read, this is because the brain subconsciously senses the tinnitus as a threat and activates the sympathetic nervous system and gets stuck in the fight or flight response. My tinnitus is variable along with hearing loss, hyperacusis, and TTTS, so it's not easily ignored for long.

3. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Yeah, it's the response of you feeling it's a threat which you cannot control. You can't just say to someone “Just relax and don’t let it bother you” and expect them to go “Oh right of course, silly me, I'll be fine now thanks to this sage advice.” You also have to factor in that you may also have real depression and anxiety thrown into the mix making it hard to differentiate between the two and to know what's triggering what. It's a minefield.

My tinnitus is also variable and changes intensity all the time. The baseline is always considerably worse than how I had it before, though. Some days I can wake up and it's just off the scale. I used to absolutely dread waking up in the night and immediately hearing the cacophony of noise. It would send me into a depressive spiral where I'd start thinking of ways to end my life, whereas now, in stark contrast, it just washes right over me. I wake up and hear the intense noise and just go right back to sleep with no shits given. I don't mask it; I just let it do whatever it wants with absolute acceptance. I can honestly say that I have gone from being completely and utterly obsessed with it, constantly checking it against other sounds whilst fearing every sound around me, to hardly ever thinking about it.

I have other issues that have superseded my concern for it, and I don't believe we are capable of being able to obsess over two or more different things at once. There is always one issue that is the primary focus that we end up ruminating over.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      I was able to do this around 18 months consistently - particularly the music at louder volumes. Distortion is not really there but my reactivity to fans/showers is still really bad. If I take a “cheat day” by trying to sleep at night with masking, like white noise, I still get the same huge spike I used to. This aspect remains almost unchanged for me.
      This aspect actually went away for me.

• Hug Hug x 2
    5. Cmspgran
      Doubtful

Cmspgran Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I can relate to so much of this @Ed209, especially the sleep part and waking up in utter despair at 3 am. How long did it take to get to this point?

6. Ringingwazoo

Ringingwazoo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown but possibly Scuba Diving, medication and noisy life
      I guess I should ask, how is Florida?

7. Travis Henry
      Cynical

Travis Henry Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 Moderna Vac, Noise and stress I guess, its killing me
      Best treatment for tinnitus and hyperacusis is dry fasting and staying in quiet.

8. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      Do you say this because you have personally had some success from this?

9. SarahMLFlemmer

SarahMLFlemmer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/20/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accutane (withdrawl)
      What does fasting do for tinnitus? My friend swears by fasting as a cure for everything.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Sounding a lot like Liam Boehm bruh.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    11. DeanD

DeanD Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild since 1982 - then Severe Oct 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction (Oct 2022)
      Having had some experience in dry fasting (not voluntarily) and having my own thoughts, I wanted to dig a little deeper.

There are many anecdotes about dry fasting helping x, y, z but mainly personal experiences. Without much surprise it primarily helps reduce weight - but a study back in 2014 showed that '...fasting reduces the numbers of circulating monocytes in healthy humans and mice' - which are cells partly responsible for inflammation and protection.

A further study earlier in 2012 showed similarly reduced inflammation.

So, if you believe tinnitus and hyperacusis are a result of inflammation, then perhaps this is where others see the link. It's also believed the body goes in to a higher state of repair, although I wasn't able to find any immediate medical evidence or research studies citing this - only from sources where it works to their advantage promoting this.

In my own personal experience - due to another illness - I wasn't able to eat any food for a period of 5 days, and was not able to drink any liquids for at least 2 days. This may have been too small a period to show any effectiveness but it didn't make the slightest bit of difference to my tinnitus or hyperacusis.

@Travis Henry, if you have any other supporting evidence, or anything to the contrary, please share.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. SarahMLFlemmer

SarahMLFlemmer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/20/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accutane (withdrawl)
      Thanks!

13. Travis Henry
      Cynical

Travis Henry Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 Moderna Vac, Noise and stress I guess, its killing me
      SUN YOUR BUTTHOLE too lol.
      @Jerad did a 5-day dry fast and his tinnitus and hyperacusis lowered, he said. His noxacusis is a little better too, I believe?!

• Funny Funny x 2
    14. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      Fasting supposedly stimulates autophagy. It’s a cellular process that helps the body remove damaged cells and cellular stuff. Basically cellular repair.

Now whether autophagy helps tinnitus in some way remains to be seen. Some people here have found tinnitus relief while fasting.

I did a 72-hour water fast not too long ago and it had no impact on my tinnitus whatsoever. Nada. Granted, I only did one round of water fasting.

I doubt it works for tinnitus, otherwise we’d see more anecdotes of it helping. It doesn’t hurt to try it though. Fasting is good in general, health wise.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    15. Andrew40
      Depressed

Andrew40 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      blow to the left ear (2013) Passed MRI scan (2023)
      After reading all the pages of this interesting topic, I wanted to know how @GBB is doing?

• Good Question Good Question x 2