• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

I Was Doing Okay for a A While...

demi

Author
Benefactor
Dec 5, 2013
Tinnitus Since
12/2012
It seemed like I was doing alright for a bit, and lately my ears have been feeling so tight and my neck feels tight too. I finally called the only Doctor who is trained in TRT in Illinois and found out that she currently has a waiting list. I'm not sure how long the wait will be...but all the receptionist said was "she is having her own health issues right now...so we hope her availability will open up within the next couple months..."

Not sure what to do now. I broke down crying today because it seems my H is so scary, my T has taken the backseat now...H is turning me upside down.

You could be having a phobic reaction to sounds that is making your hyperacusis worse. I remember for a little bit I was in that cycle and luckily I was able to realize what was going on.

If you find yourself reacting to sounds before they even happen you're having a phobic reaction.

Oh, I also want to add is that the tightness you feel in your neck is from the anxiety and that's probably why your ears feel tight too.

Negative emotions are what makes tinnitus seem worse than it is. Hyperacusis is treatable and it also usually resolves itself over a period of time. Read some of the Success Stories and hopefully it gives you some encouragement that everything will work out eventually.

I'm just scared because if I can't get TRT now for some time how am I supposed to try and recover some?

Demi, I suppose the only thing here is time. Also, maybe you could visit a psychiatrist and get smth to help you with your anxiety. From what I understand H is mostly psychological so maybe if you were more calm it would pass. I who love music has some insights for this matter so check out his posts.

demi wrote:
I'm just scared because if I can't get TRT now for some time how am I supposed to try and recover some?

What you can do is have a strategy or plan as to how you will get better. You have already started this because you are thinking about doing TRT even though you may not be able to do this for a couple of months. It's really the way we think about tinnitus that is the problem. If we think of it in a negative catastrophic way then it will be harder to overcome. If we think instead of other things in our life then tinnitus no longer becomes the focal point. OK so you can't start TRT now but what you can do is use an mp3 player or iPod and listen to nature sounds, white noise or music that you like. Do this as needed to take the edge of your tinnitus. If you do TRT you will find it consists of 2 components: noise generators or hearing aids and counselling. The counselling is intended to demystify tinnitus, educate you and tell you that tinnitus isn't a sign of some sinister disease. In other words help you overcome your fears and anxiety.

What you can do is have a strategy or plan as to how you will get better. You have already started this because you are thinking about doing TRT even though you may not be able to do this for a couple of months. It's really the way we think about tinnitus that is the problem. If we think of it in a negative catastrophic way then it will be harder to overcome. If we think instead of other things in our life then tinnitus no longer becomes the focal point. OK so you can't start TRT now but what you can do is use an mp3 player or iPod and listen to nature sounds, white noise or music that you like. Do this as needed to take the edge of your tinnitus. If you do TRT you will find it consists of 2 components: noise generators or hearing aids and counselling. The counselling is intended to demystify tinnitus, educate you and tell you that tinnitus isn't a sign of some sinister disease. In other words help you overcome your fears and anxiety.
I'm more so wanting to do TRT for my Hyperacusis. I'm scared my tolerance will lower more before I can do TRT and that is scary.

hi demi, im not an expert on hyperacusis trt , but I did have severe h which over time improved to mild h on my own.
I suggest that you avoid all loud noise, period....even with plugs for now. Avoid clanging dishes etc.
Use this pre-trt period to rest your ears. Whatever you did normally before h, reduce the volume by say 30%, but don't avoid sound altogether. Once you start trt, im sure she will put u on a hyperacusis protocol. Imagine your ears are in a temporary cast at the moment- so don't step on them too much....
I know for tinnitus you set the noise generators just below your tinnitus. If you mask the tinnitus, you cannot habituate it.
Do not listen to mp3 music at all, forget about it....unless its very very low volume -which isn't fun.
Reduce stress, eat healthy and don't worry too much.

demi wrote:
I'm more so wanting to do TRT for my Hyperacusis. I'm scared my tolerance will lower more before I can do TRT and that is scary.

Hyperacusis usually resolves itself over a period of time. You gradually become less sensitive to noises and this is what I found. It took me a long time as I had other issues but ever so slowly it did happen. Try to avoid harsh sounds but don't overuse earplugs and let your ears hear normal everyday sounds so that they can desensitise themselves. You may need to use protection sometimes but not all the time.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now