I Will Have My First Plane Travel. I Need Some Advice! Thank You!

Hope2015

Author
Aug 14, 2015
Tinnitus Since
Cause of Tinnitus
loud music
Hello everyone!
Like my title says, on Wednesday I will have my first plane trip from Debrecen(Hungary) to Belgium, such a long trip. This is the first time when I travel by the plane and I am afraid because I have Tinnitus for 4 months too. Can altitude cause spikes? Or worsen Tinnitus? Should I wear some earplugs(because of the jet sound)?
I need some advices, some do's and don'ts.
Thank you very much!

Hey @Hope2015

I think each T is very different and reacts differently on different situations, but on my case I travel by plane a lot for work and pleasure, and I never experience spikes...

I do carry some foam plugs and use them if seated near the engines or if I feel the plane is old and noisy (like it happened last wednesday...). Otherwise I don't wear them..

Usually my main worry is during landing as my ears don't equalize as well as they used to, so I try and yawn as much as I can or chew a gum, and at times I just keep my mouth wide open as I heard it helps in equalizing during landing (I know I must look weird to the persons next to me, but I don't care) :)
I try NOT to squeeze my nose and blow out (Valsalva maneuver) as I think it is not a good thing to do, but if I feel I have to then I do it really slowly and only until I hear my ears pop...

Once again I never experienced spikes by flying... So I hope same happens to you...

Have a good flight and take care of yourself and your ears !!

Ciao, Lorenzo

I got bad tinnitus about 2.5 years ago after having a mild version from the army for many years. With the bad version I started flying again within the first year. I had a spike afterwards, but had worn off in a day or two. I have taken maybe a dozen international flights since then, though only 4-6 hours maximum in the air and the tinnitus always recedes to normal levels. I maybe taking a longer one to Europe shortly and don't think it will cause me any problems. My opinion is the alttiude does not have an effect on my tinnitus, it is just the droning of the engine and the fact my right ear(where the hearing loss is) suffers from some recruitment which makes engine noise sound louder than it should be. I tend to wear earplugs on the flight, but take them out periodically to give myself a break.

@Mad maggot the cause of my t, I think it is listening to very loud music on headphones. When I was with the plane, sound of the jet didn't disturb me even if it was kind of loud, I didn't use ear plugs, but I think it would be wise to protect my ears more often.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now