• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Inflation — Perfect Time to Lose Weight, Change to "Store Brands" or Indulge Spending?

You know what people say? Buying something is easy, then go to sell it and you'll see... :ROFL:

It seems paper gains and paper losses are "trendy" lately. But that's not real life. In real life there are gains when you have the money in your pocket.
Except the money is the problem, lol. I'd rather have the assets.

You can always look at the time on your Rolex every few seconds instead of eating.
Eating is overrated :D

You're mixing up liquidity with hard assets which should be kept separate. As I said earlier, everyone ideally needs liquid money set aside for emergencies, but the rest of one's living costs should come from one's income and not their savings or hard assets. Those are for wealth preservation and not for paying one's grocery bills, etc.

The system is like a game, and we are all players within it. Our aim is to preserve as much of our purchasing power as possible by trying to overcome the circa 10% yearly depreciation of our cash supply. Owning a selection of assets, that are not closely correlated, diversifies your odds of maintaining some kind of equilibrium, because if one asset does badly, you can hope one of the others compensates and brings balance, with the overall objective of a yearly percentage gain across your entire portfolio.

By not participating in the game, or by ignoring/being oblivious to it, then one is guaranteed to lose a significant portion of their money's purchasing power over the course of time (as inflation compounds making its long-term effect very large). Any yearly percentage gain is better than a guaranteed loss through not trying.

You're mixing up liquidity with hard assets which should be kept separate. As I said earlier, everyone ideally needs liquid money set aside for emergencies, but the rest of one's living costs should come from one's income and not their savings or hard assets. Those are for wealth preservation and not for paying one's grocery bills, etc.
Tell that to the Russians. Vladimir Putin needs counselling.

We need more money to eat less, or to lose weight. I know, that doesn't make sense, but poor folks (and I have been one at times) have poor choices. Things like hot dogs, hamburger, cheap cheese, white bread, corn bread, potato chips etc are cheap and will fill you up, but w/ all the wrong things. Eggs have gone back down in prices, but a lot of people cook them in vegetable oil. Most budget priced foods contain a huge amount of calories, salt, artificial ingredients and saturated fat.

Today's breakfast was oven broiled blackened salmon in a wee bit of olive oil and topped w/ horseradish, blueberries, a small chunk of fresh pineapple, oven roasted carrots, 1/4 banana and a cup of good coffee w fake sugar. Came to about 220 calories. Just imagine what you would get w/ 2 eggs cooked in vegetable oil, bacon or sausage and a slice of buttered toast?! It would easily be twice the calories, and it's a really unhealthy breakfast. I had an 8 piece chicken nugget order at Burger King yesterday (very small nuggets) and that was 480 calories!!! More calories than I like to get from breakfast AND lunch combined.

It even affects our drinks. A bottle of cheap wine is $3, and a single serving consisting of 5 oz is 120 calories. My Bourbon is $16 a bottle but is less than 100 calories for a 1.5 oz shot. The real problem is that alcohol upsets the way our bodies burn calories. Our system treats it like a poison and stops all the other metabolic food functions in order to get rid of it. This means it will stop burning fat for up to 36 hours, which will add a lot of weight in short order unless this is watched, and unless you get most of your food calories from sources other than fat.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now