• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Intrusive Tinnitus

I suggest using a dedicated sound machine by your bedside or connecting it to a pillow speaker.

Sound Machines and Tinnitus | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum
Hello,

I play cricket sounds from my laptop and try to keep the volume as low as possible. Since the frequency matches my tinnitus quite well, it doesn't take much to mask it. However, if I focus on it, I can still hear the tinnitus in my head.

Is this okay, or is there a specific reason to get a dedicated sound machine? It feels like outdated technology in this day and age.

Hi @Michael Leigh, what are your thoughts on using a little tabletop fountain like the one pictured below instead of a speaker?

View attachment 57229
Hi @kingsfan.

The sound of running water is usually pleasant to listen to, and I think a tabletop fountain is a good idea for sound enrichment. My only concern is that the sound of the fountain shouldn't mask or completely cover up your tinnitus.

Since it doesn't have a volume control, you may need to experiment with the distance to find the ideal placement.

Best of luck,
Michael

I play cricket sounds from my laptop and try to keep the volume as low as possible. Since the frequency matches my tinnitus quite well, it doesn't take much to mask it. However, if I focus on it, I can still hear the tinnitus in my head.

Is this okay, or is there a specific reason to get a dedicated sound machine? It feels like outdated technology in this day and age.
If you're happy using your laptop for sound enrichment, then continue using it. Personally, I prefer to use a dedicated sound machine for sound enrichment at night.

Sound enrichment is one of the best ways to treat oversensitivity to sound, hyperacusis, and to help a person habituate to tinnitus. I assure you, it's not outdated!

Michael

If you're happy using your laptop for sound enrichment, then continue using it. Personally, I prefer to use a dedicated sound machine for sound enrichment at night.

Sound enrichment is one of the best ways to treat oversensitivity to sound, hyperacusis, and to help a person habituate to tinnitus. I assure you, it's not outdated!

Michael
Thank you for your response. I'm not suggesting that sound enrichment is outdated; I'm simply asking whether a sound machine is better than a laptop, and if so, in what ways.

Thank you for your response. I'm not suggesting that sound enrichment is outdated; I'm simply asking whether a sound machine is better than a laptop, and if so, in what ways.
A sound machine is much smaller and more portable than a laptop. External Sound Oasis pillow speakers can be attached to the sound machine. These speakers are quite thin, around 12 mm, and can easily slip under your existing pillow, providing privacy without disturbing your sleeping partner.

Using a laptop with an internal spinning fan and hard drive is not ideal for sound enrichment, especially at night, and particularly for individuals with noise-induced tinnitus. The sound of the internal fan and spinning hard drive can worsen tinnitus for many people, due to the high-pitched frequencies emitted by these components. If you're interested, you can search for "computers and tinnitus" at the top of this page to read related posts.

I now use an Acer laptop that has no internal fan and uses a solid-state drive, so it emits no sound. My PC's tower unit also uses an ultra-quiet fan and a solid-state drive, making it very quiet and not affecting my tinnitus. In the past, I had to place the tower unit in another room and pass cables through the wall to connect to an external monitor and keyboard. I also used a wireless mouse with a repeater cable to boost the signal. Thankfully, those days are over.

Michael

A sound machine is much smaller and more portable than a laptop. External Sound Oasis pillow speakers can be attached to the sound machine. These speakers are quite thin, around 12 mm, and can easily slip under your existing pillow, providing privacy without disturbing your sleeping partner.

I now use an Acer laptop that has no internal fan and uses a solid-state drive, so it emits no sound. My PC's tower unit also uses an ultra-quiet fan and a solid-state drive, making it very quiet and not affecting my tinnitus. In the past, I had to place the tower unit in another room and pass cables through the wall to connect to an external monitor and keyboard. I also used a wireless mouse with a repeater cable to boost the signal. Thankfully, those days are over.
I switched from an old 2015 MacBook Pro to an M2 Pro Mac Mini, and the difference is huge. The new computer runs completely silent.

I hadn't realized how small the Sound Oasis was. I thought it was just a typical box like other sound machines I've seen, but the fact that it can fit under a pillow is pretty appealing.

Previously, I was using Sonos speakers—specifically the Play 1 and Roam. With them, you can use your phone to select music, and the speakers will stream it directly, rather than through your phone like with Bluetooth or AirPlay.
Does the sound of the pump in the fountain cause you any issues?
I don't have one, but I've been thinking about it. I may just get a water fountain for my cat instead and put in the room with me. I had fish early in my tinnitus and the tank filter was actually soothing at the time.

I hadn't realized how small the Sound Oasis was. I thought it was just a typical box like other sound machines I've seen, but the fact that it can fit under a pillow is pretty appealing.
I was referring to Sound Oasis speakers. They connect to the main sound machine unit via a thin cable with a 3.5mm jack at the end, which plugs into the audio output of the sound machine.

Michael

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now