• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Is It Better to Plug Your Ears with Fingers or Use Earplugs?

Apocalypse77

Author
May 9, 2017
Tinnitus Since
6/8/2016
Cause of Tinnitus
Acoustic trauma (go-kart racing)
Yesterday I was watching a movie in my friend's house.

The movie was not as loud as in movie theaters but still pretty loud.

At first I was using orange foam earplugs and my Bose noise cancelling headphones but some noises got through so I took my earplugs off and stuck my fingers to my ears while had my headphones on too.

So which one gives better noise reduction?

Yesterday I was watching a movie in my friend's house.
The movie was not as loud as in movie theaters but still pretty loud.
At first I was using orange foam earplugs and my Bose noise cancelling headphones but some noises got through so I took my earplugs off and stuck my fingers to my ears while had my headphones on too.
So which one gives better noise reduction?

Hi @Apocalypse77

I know that you have been going through difficult time with tinnitus at the moment and I do understand what you're going through as I've been there. I am quite surprised you decided on staying at your friend's house considering the movie was so loud. I will assume the movie was listened to in "surround sound" and probably a 5 or 7 speaker setup with sub woofer providing the low bass frequencies? With respect, It would have been better not to be in that environment surrounded by sound coming at you from all different angles and were reflecting off the ceiling and walls.

Please remember that you can be using the best hearing protection in the world and sound can still reach your inner ear and irritate the cochlea by "bone conduction" This is when sound passes through the skull if it's loud enough. The fact that you said the movie was loud, is an indication that you put yourself in harms way. I am sorry to sound so sobering. Under these circumstances and with you in such close proximity to the sound source and the severity of your tinnitus at the moment. No hearing protection will help you and the best thing is not to subject yourself to these high volume levels. If your friend is an understanding person, he or she would have lowered the volume had you requested it and if not then leave.

I wish you well
Michael

@Michael Leigh I have at my home a surround sound set up with 5 speakers and a sub woofer. It looks cool but I don't use it.

Good news is that we were watching this movie in my friends room and he has only a samsung tv no surround sound system or anything. I was 4 meters away from the screen.

I have finally learned my lesson. I was at the gym then realized that I have to keep earplugs with me where ever I go. Now I realized that even earplugs won't always give you good protection.

@Michael Leigh I have at my home a surround sound set up with 5 speakers and a sub woofer. It looks cool but I don't use it.

Good news is that we were watching this movie in my friends room and he has only a samsung tv no surround sound system or anything. I was 4 meters away from the screen.

I have finally learned my lesson. I was at the gym then realized that I have to keep earplugs with me where ever I go. Now I realized that even earplugs won't always give you good protection.

@Apocalypse77
Please read my articles: Tinnitus, A Personal View and Hyperacusis as I see it. Read them in full and not to skim through them. Also, read other posts on my "started threads". Please follow the advice especially in Hyperacusis, As I see it. It will help desenstise your auditory system as this is what's needed. In time you will be able to listen to your surround sound system so don't give up hope or sell it. I once had very severe tinnitus and hyperacusis. Please read: my experience with tinnitus, in my started threads. My hyperacusis is completely cured and yours can too. Try and get treatment at ENT and with a Hearing therapist. Use a sound machine at night, this is important.

All the best
Michael

The new IT movie will come next month I have been waiting for it so long. Maybe I won't go to the theater too big of a risk. But I have been waiting for this movie almost a year. :(

How much can we really protect . I got out from my office and Went to next door office . Our office is facing Main Street but I thought what are the chances loud car will go just in matter on 15 second walk ..guess what? Freaking loud car Wih big muffler went pass by me !!
My T hasn't spiked too much but normally t spikes on next day .
I have decided any time I go near the street I will ear plugs !

@Apocalypse77
Please read my articles: Tinnitus, A Personal View and Hyperacusis as I see it. Read them in full and not to skim through them. Also, read other posts on my "started threads". Please follow the advice especially in Hyperacusis, As I see it. It will help desenstise your auditory system as this is what's needed. In time you will be able to listen to your surround sound system so don't give up hope or sell it. I once had very severe tinnitus and hyperacusis. Please read: my experience with tinnitus, in my started threads. My hyperacusis is completely cured and yours can too. Try and get treatment at ENT and with a Hearing therapist. Use a sound machine at night, this is important.

All the best
Michael
@Michael Leigh, question for you, if you get exposed by loud sound... e.g., door slams, loud car passes next to you etc. I know it's not doing any damage.

Have you come across any one on the board who had permanent spike after such type of some what loud noise?

Thank you for all your informative posts.

Yeah makes real sense to wear ear plugs with headphones when you watch TV. And yes!! fingers in the ears with headphones, definitely the best choice, I find the comfort unmatched. I do however feel the need for more protection when the TV is on, so i duct tape pillows to my head as well. Well, I guess I don't do the taping, a friend does this for me, obviously my hands are being used to plug my ears under my headphones, it's all a pretty tight fit but extremely comfy when done properly.

Yeah makes real sense to wear ear plugs with headphones when you watch TV. And yes!! fingers in the ears with headphones, definitely the best choice, I find the comfort unmatched. I do however feel the need for more protection when the TV is on, so i duct tape pillows to my head as well. Well, I guess I don't do the taping, a friend does this for me, obviously my hands are being used to plug my ears under my headphones, it's all a pretty tight fit but extremely comfy when done properly.

Best post ever! I actually started laughing out loud at my desk reading this. Obviously i was plugging my ears at the same time and a bit of cellotape to keep them in place!

Best post ever! I actually started laughing out loud at my desk reading this. Obviously i was plugging my ears at the same time and a bit of cellotape to keep them in place!

I agree with you @Sam Bridge @Telis post is the best I have read in this forum and couldn't stop laughing either.

HI @Sean
Thank you for your kind comments. In answer to your question, I don't know anyone here that has got a permanent spike caused by the sounds you mention.

My views on the overuse of hearing protection are well documented in this forum. Other members also have similar opinions to me on this. However, I believe some people have become so obsessed with using hearing protection because of their fear of sound, that I think it will difficult for them to make a full recovery from hyperacusis and this is very unfortunate. As humorous as Telis' post is, I wouldn't put it passed some people to attempt some of the things that he has described.

I read a post today on another thread that I thought was very disturbing. Not just for people that posted who are obviously in discomfort with hyperacusis, but the negative message that they are sending out to anyone that has this condition and looking for help. In most cases hyperacusis can be completely cured as mine has for the passed 18 years.

Michael

I agree with you @Sam Bridge @Telis post is the best I have read in this forum and couldn't stop laughing either.

HI @Sean
Thank you for your kind comments. In answer to your question, I don't know anyone here that has got a permanent spike caused by the sounds you mention.

My views on the overuse of hearing protection are well documented in this forum. Other members also have similar opinions to me on this. However, I believe some people have become so obsessed with using hearing protection because of their fear of sound, that I think it will difficult for them to make a full recovery from hyperacusis and this is very unfortunate. As humorous as Telis' post is, I wouldn't put it passed some people to attempt some of the things that he has described.

I read a post today on another thread that I thought was very disturbing. Not just for people that posted who are obviously in discomfort with hyperacusis, but the negative message that they are sending out to anyone that has this condition and looking for help. In most cases hyperacusis can be completely cured as mine has for the passed 18 years.

Michael
Thank you MIchael , yes i would hate to have H on top of my tinnitus . It's just every time I get exposed to these some what loud noises I get spike which last for couple of days to 1-2 weeks.
My Tinnitus have been very very mild from last few months but because I have been exposed to these noises back to back and l have had spike from past couple of months. I know for sure if I didn't get exposed to noise I am sure my T would have been super mild like before .
Now my T is quite 2-3 days per week and some what loud rest of the days . My concern is I hope these loud car noise ( it was like a race car super loud) didn't cause further damage . My dad even told me it was unusually loud . I guess time will tell .
I just woke up and my left ear is wishtling .it is annoying and distressing !

Thank you MIchael , yes i would hate to have H on top of my tinnitus . It's just every time I get exposed to these some what loud noises I get spike which last for couple of days to 1-2 weeks.
My Tinnitus have been very very mild from last few months but because I have been exposed to these noises back to back and l have had spike from past couple of months. I know for sure if I didn't get exposed to noise I am sure my T would have been super mild like before .
Now my T is quite 2-3 days per week and some what loud rest of the days . My concern is I hope these loud car noise ( it was like a race car super loud) didn't cause further damage . My dad even told me it was unusually loud . I guess time will tell .
I just woke up and my left ear is wishtling .it is annoying and distressing !

HI @Sean
The sensitivity that you have now described to me that you are experiencing sounds like hyperacusis. It is treatable and can be cured. Unless you do this it is likely that you tinnitus will continue to spike in the way that you describe. Keeping away from normal everyday sounds, even if they are slightly loud is not the answer or the overuse of hearing protection. Please click on the link below and read my post: Hyperacusis, As I see it. If you follow my suggestions in time your hyperacusis will improve and most probably be cured. Start using sound enrichment at night.

All the best
Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

HI @Sean
The sensitivity that you have now described to me that you are experiencing sounds like hyperacusis. It is treatable and can be cured. Unless you do this it is likely that you tinnitus will continue to spike in the way that you describe. Keeping away from normal everyday sounds, even if they are slightly loud is not the answer or the overuse of hearing protection. Please click on the link below and read my post: Hyperacusis, As I see it. If you follow my suggestions in time your hyperacusis will improve and most probably be cured. Start using sound enrichment at night.

All the best
Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/
@Michael Leigh , if you think a very loud car passes by and i get spike is call hyperacusis? I dont have sensitvity to loud noises. I can go to loud events and it wouldnt bother my ears.
I actually get spike because of these some what loud noises. I went to bowling place once where music was not too loud but i had spike..even yesterday car passed by and it didbt bother my ears and now T is loud.

I know it seems no one has definite answer to these but i think these loud noises some how irritate the ears and causes temporary spike..Hopefully its temporary !

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now