• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Is It OK for Me to Take Benzonatate?

yborleevoor

Author
Oct 19, 2017
Tinnitus Since
10/12/17
Cause of Tinnitus
Unknown, maybe stress, maybe depression
I got the flu and the doctor prescribed me Benzonatate for my coughing and congestion but I keep remembering something about Benzonatate being ototoxic and bad for tinnitus sufferers. Am I wrong?

I got the flu and the doctor prescribed me Benzonatate for my coughing and congestion but I keep remembering something about Benzonatate being ototoxic and bad for tinnitus sufferers. Am I wrong?

My opinion on this is to try and forget focusing on what people say about medications affecting tinnitus. My blood pressure medicine is listed as "can cause ringing in the ears". It hasn't made my tinnitus worse. Take the medicine and get along with your life.

You haven't had tinnitus long and I do understand how you feel. Please go to my "started threads" and read my post: New to tinnitus what to do? Also read: Tinnitus, A Personal View.

All the best
Michael

@yborleevoor ,
I think the flu it self can cause ear problems with secondary infections etc and cause damage to the ears.
I think the sooner your better will give you better odds from the medication itself.
Love glynis

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now