I've Had Ringing in My Ears for a Week Now and I Don't Know Where It Came From

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marcos Que, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Marcos Que
      Lurking

Marcos Que Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      It's been about a week since I've had the ringing in my ears/head and I don't know where it came from or what to do. I don't go to concerts, shoot guns, or get exposed to loud sounds. I do use my headphones when I work out but never at high volumes. So this has me a bit stumped. One thing that did come to mind was that a day or two before it started. I woke up to a really stiff neck, I wasn't able to turn my head to my right side for about a day and a half. Then a day after it went away I noticed the ringing. I plan to see an ENT soon and was wondering if there is a connection between my stiff neck and the tinnitus.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Marcos Que Your tinnitus could be related to your stiff neck. However, exposure to loud noise is the most common cause of it and often this is due to headphones. Although you say you don't listen to music at high volumes when working out, people are not usually aware how loud the music is through headphones when at a gym. Because of the surrounding sounds within such an environment, one can easily turn up the volume to block out the ambient noise unware they could be causing harm to their auditory system. Doing this over a long period of time there is a risk of developing tinnitus. If you also listen to music through headphones when not at the gym these risks are increased.

Sorry to sound so sobering
      Best of luck
      Michael

PS: you might find the information in the following link helpful: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Many of us unexpectedly woke up to tinnitus one day and as Michael stated, no coincidence that many of us including me were life long headphone users...work and play. I am a huge music junkie but I am not a big club guy but have been to my share and in an out of loud environments throughout my long life.

There is little help we can provide other than what Michael suggests to the community here about a path forward for each of us. Don't add insult to injury...and I am a huge music buff with a 100G music collection from hip hop to classical and every genre in between. Don't wear headphones. I no longer do FWIW because I don't want my tinnitus to worsen. Initially I went low volume listening which as Michael explained is a false dichotomy because ambient noise level can trick aggregate dB level. So now even on the bike, I no longer listen which is also safer for cycling...and I am a cycling junkie. Listen to music at lower sound levels through good quality speakers if you must.

No turning back the clock for many of us...so look to the future. Best advice given on this forum for those with T is..protect your ears. Btw, coddling your ears isn't good either. They need sound exposure to be healthy. We have to be fussier than most.
      Good luck and be well.

PS: will add, throughout my life, my achilles heel has also been a sore neck. As it turns out aggressive cycling puts a lot of strain on the neck muscles. As I reflect upon my life and perhaps you fall into this camp as well, there is a perfect storm when it comes to tinnitus.
      1. many tinnitus suffers are predisposed toward anxiety or OCD. Many I believe are achievers in fact...type A who always want to do well and suffer higher levels of anxiety for it. Genetics.
      2. many T suffers like music and clubs or listen to music with headphones or even play in a band
      3. many T suffers have neck issues

In my case, I have the perfect storm. In science, worse case is generally a confluence of conditions that preordains a person for a given condition. I believe many fall into this trap with tinnitus and I probably am the poster boy.

• Like Like x 2
    4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @stophiss You have quite a music collection. Are you an Audiophile by an chance? I am and have been from my teen years. My musical tastes are not as diverse as yours. Restricted to classical, opera and some jazz fusion.
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    5. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      I wouldn't characterize myself technically as an audiophile Michael. I am a student of music...actually a student of everything I am interested in. I have a modest but excellent sound system...efficient speakers that I drive now of course at low volume with sub woofer turned way down.:)
      I actually have eclectic taste in many things as it turns out...from autos...I built custom cars and motorcycles at one time...to world class bicycles to you name it. I have learned to try and not be over the top in any given endeavor to leave room for other things that matter.
      I love music. I play the guitar but I consider rather poorly. My mother played concert violin until she raised a family. I believe its in my DNA a bit. But I like everything but just not too steady a diet of anything. I can't listen to too much country, or classical or hip hop. If I have a favorite genre, its classic rock...much of best stuff was spawned in the UK from its extraordinary culture in the 60's...alternative music in its day...avant-garde and leading edge...from your side of the pond brother.
      Here is one of my favorite licks from a by gone era.
      Enjoy:
      The Animals - The House of the Rising Sun...

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marcos Que
      Lurking

Marcos Que Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      Thanks Guys for replying it makes me feel better, knowing that there are others out there going through this. @Michael Leigh I went through half of your post (sorry couldn't finish it, im getting ready to "try" to go to bed):unsure:and I cant tell you how much it means to me, seeing all that information. I also wanted to know if weight and poor diet can be a cause of it too? In the past 6 months I've been in a bit of a depression. I have completely left my healthy lifestyle behind because of it. I've gained 75 pounds and have completely stopped exercising. Would this lead to PT?

7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      A very interesting post stophiss. It is plain to see you have acquired a wealth of knowledge and skills over the years and I hope that you will be able to pass some of that on, to anyone that might be interested and willing to learn.

I agree with you that music is in your DNA since your mother played violin. I have the feeling that you are being modest about playing the guitar and believe you are a lot better than you say. Considering you custom built motorcycles and high quality bicycles, makes you in my book, the kind of person that will strive to do their best at anything they put their mind to and that’s good to know.

The video is good and they guys are very talented and look so young.
      All the best
      Michael

8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thank you for your comments @Marcos Que That post is 14000 words so it is a lot to read in one hit and took me months to write because of the difficulty with my tinnitus. It is better to read it printed instead of on a computer monitor. The idea is for people to read the Positivity posts, and to keep referring to them whenever they feel the need.
      Although a good and balanced diet is important and keeping weight under control. If there is no underlining medical condition causing the tinnitus, it is usually caused by "loud sounds"
      Michael

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marcos Que
      Lurking

Marcos Que Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      I'm on a laptop, so what you're saying it that computers makes the tinnitus worse? Also what are your thoughts on this video, is it a scam? I live near that clinic and I was thinking of going to it after my ENT appointment. If I have anymore questions do you mind if I PM you?

San Diego Tinnitus Care & Relief

10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Marcos Que I am not saying that "computers" will make tinnitus worse for every person. In my case it does and it could affect "some" people.
      When you read further a long in my article, you will see that I mention YouTube has over 50,000 videos on cures and treatments for tinnitus. I also mention, type into any search engine "cure for tinnitus" you will see over 4,000 hits.
      Many of these people unfortunately want to make money pure and simple. That's why the best course of action to take is visit your GP and get a referral to ENT for tests.
      If you can, print out my article and read and digest it slowly and refer to the positivity posts whenever you feel the need.
      You can PM me any time.
      All the best
      Michael

11. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      @Marcos Que, I would get your neck checked. Doesn't seem to me like you have sound induced tinnitus.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marcos Que
      Lurking

Marcos Que Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      What kind of doctor would you recommend to see about this? The ear where I hear the tinnitus the most is the same side I had the stiff neck.

13. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Orthopedic doctor who specializes in the neck muscles. Also a physical therapist following your visit to an orthopedic doctor (I would include a discussion about physical therapy in your conversation with the orthopedic).

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marcos Que
      Lurking

Marcos Que Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      Did they help your T?

15. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I haven't been to a physical therapist but I did see an orthopedic doctor. He gave me some anti-inflammatories and they helped with my neck pain. In the past week I've been doing neck stretching exercises and they have helped as well.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marcos Que
      Lurking

Marcos Que Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      A little update on my situation. 2 Days ago I did some trigger point therapy on the side of my neck that I had the stiffness on before my tinnitus set in and I experience a Dramatic reduction 24 hours later. The tinnitus that night also almost completely went away for about 5 minutes and I felt complete silence once again. I still heard it very faintly but it was at the point where I could ignore. I still have the tinnitus but it sounds a lot lower then it was before. I have my appointment for the ENT and I think I will see a massage therapist or physical therapist sooner rather then later.