Kiss on the Ear, No Pain Afterwards. Can Tinnitus Permanently Spike?

Egg

Author
Jun 3, 2018
Tinnitus Since
2/6/2018
Cause of Tinnitus
Acoustic Trauma (Concert)
Hi,

Last night I received a kiss on the ear (by accident) and although it was quite loud I didn't experience immediate changes in tinnitus or any sensation of fullness. However, when I got back to a quieter setting I noticed that a new tone in my tinnitus had gotten louder. It wasn't a completely new tone since I was already mid-spike due to having the cold/a fever at the moment. What scared me was that it seems more persistent.

I made an appointment to see an ENT in 2 days, but I am wondering, does no immediate pain or fullness sensation indicate that it might be fine after all? Or as a general rule, is a kiss on the ear always dangerous and harmful. Do you think the spike might go away - and the kiss might not have caused permanent damage?

Please let me know your stories... I am very worried at the moment and don't know what to do. I had just habituated to my old tinnitus and was doing really well...

Yes, I think your spike will go away. Last Thursday, I had a soccer game. I was next to the ref and he blew the whistle. Immediately, my T spiked and I had ear fullness. It lasted for a few days but eventually went back to how it was before. I believe yours will also. These types of things are generally not permanent.

You'll be back to baseline in some time. Don't fret, friend.

I've been kissed on the ear many times since my T started (my people do the two cheek kiss to say hello), some fullness and spike, but no lasting damage. You'll be good.

2 weeks later and still the same. I am very optimistic that it will settle though.
2 weeks later and still the same. I am very optimistic that it will settle though.
Have you gone to an audiologist though. Also is it intrusive. Mine is a super subtle but very high pitched addition to my baseline relatively low pitched tinnitus.

Have you gone to an audiologist though.
An audiologist? Not yet.
Also is it intrusive.
Just a little.
Mine is a super subtle but very high pitched addition to my baseline relatively low pitched tinnitus.
Same here. My baseline has greatly diminished and I can't hear it unless I plug my ears.

Does yours seem like it is in both sides even though the kiss was in one ear?

An audiologist? Not yet.

Just a little.

Same here. My baseline has greatly diminished and I can't hear it unless I plug my ears.
ughh I hope this doesn't reverse all my progress

Does yours seem like it is in both sides even though the kiss was in one ear?
No it's just the right ear. But usually it's my right ear that spikes.. I also have the flu and some congestion currently so I was mid-spike. It's hard to tell rn what's what

Hi,

Last night I received a kiss on the ear (by accident) and although it was quite loud I didn't experience immediate changes in tinnitus or any sensation of fullness. However, when I got back to a quieter setting I noticed that a new tone in my tinnitus had gotten louder. It wasn't a completely new tone since I was already mid-spike due to having the cold/a fever at the moment. What scared me was that it seems more persistent.

I made an appointment to see an ENT in 2 days, but I am wondering, does no immediate pain or fullness sensation indicate that it might be fine after all? Or as a general rule, is a kiss on the ear always dangerous and harmful. Do you think the spike might go away - and the kiss might not have caused permanent damage?

Please let me know your stories... I am very worried at the moment and don't know what to do. I had just habituated to my old tinnitus and was doing really well...

Im sure it will return to baseline T. Mine always does (touch wood so far). What I have done is find a sound which I know masks my normal Tinnitus level. For me its the rushing water of the bathroom tap. The decibel level and "type" of sound it produces seems to mask my T completely.

So if I have a spike which I think has increased the volume of the T, I can check with the baseline sound to see if it has objectively changed. Most of the time it has not, its just my mind getting attached to a short change in the Tinnitus frequency.

So if you can find your own baseline sound, you can check against, it may re-assure you.

Peace & Love.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now