Listened to Loud Music for Years, Used Earbuds for a Year — Struck with (Worsening) Tinnitus

Jacksonian

Author
Feb 15, 2022
Tinnitus Since
10/2021
Cause of Tinnitus
Unknown
Hi, my name is Jackson. I've been listening to loud music for a few years now, and I was using earbuds for around a year since mid 2020. I got into uni in September of 2021, and things were going fine until October... when my tinnitus showed up. I'd had bursts of tinnitus before, but they all receded within a few minutes. I tried to go to a hospital, GP, and ENT, but they all concluded that it was probably permanent hearing loss, even though they only looked at me for 10 minutes.

That said, it wasn't too unrealistic. Given how much loud music I listened to on a regular basis, hearing loss was sadly a real possibility. I kept trying to keep calm and keep it out of my head, even throughout the stressful semester 1 deadline period of January.

Now it's February, and my tinnitus and hearing have gotten worse. Running water makes my ears ring, I can feel pressure building in my head, I feel like my hearing gets worse every day, and it feels like the upper range of my hearing in both ears is shot.

I've tried hearing test apps, but they deem my hearing to be mostly normal. My parents are trying to find a good audiologist, but I don't know how long it will take.

I'm really scared that I'll never be able to listen to even low volume, casual music again. That the pressure in my ears and head will keep getting worse. That my ears will keep having flare ups of burning.

I don't know what to do.

It hasn't been too crazy long. Keep away from loud noises, ear plugs when around them, only light masking. Give Turmeric or NAC a try.
You're likely to have this fade over time for you, could be over many months. (Some people might try a diuretic/more water and Betahistine for fullness). If you hear quiet in the mornings after waking up whilst in bed, that's a good sign.

Try to exercise, it might temporarily make the ringing louder but it's good for you and the ringing.

It's too late for steroids and risky to try.

I don't think quitting music is in the cards, just be careful and only use high quality speakers no headphones (it's pretty risky).

Be careful with the vaxx, if you already got it then might be good to avoid the boosters. Too many people with tinnitus seem to get worse, imo it's gambling using more boosters.

Using a cell phone will also perpetuate/aggravate your injured/damaged ears.

If you live in a house that's small, with terrible acoustics, and someone is always playing something through speakers in the house, your ears won't stop ringing / reacting either.

There's many more things too. Those are 2 basic examples.

You are not alone in this. I have had tinnitus for a year and a half and also due to excessive use of headphones for about 3 months.

Fortunately, mine is unilateral, precisely because my left hearing aid stopped working.

I can confirm that it has remained in the same tone and I have continued listening to music normally (not loud, obviously) the first few weeks are overwhelming, but I assure you that you will get used to it.

I can assure you that you do not have hearing loss and you are simply suggesting yourself (I also thought about that and look, a year later I still have the same hearing).

I hope you find an audiologist soon and clear up your doubts.

Good vibes only.

Hey guys, been a while since I posted on the site. I've been dealing with tinnitus ever since last October... and it's been a real bummer.

Now, after I thought I was finally adjusting to the worst of it, it got worse AGAIN! My tinnitus in my right ear has become a broader, lower pitch.

It's even harder to hear now! Not to mention, my consistent ear pain. When I went to the audiologist in late February, they said no hearing loss and that I was fine.

My music's a little loud, but I'm not blasting it through headphones or earbuds anymore. I'm trying to de stress, and I'm not poking my ears with Q-tips.

Why does everything keep getting worse?!

Hey, as for the anti-vaxx recommendation, COVID-19 frequently causes increased tinnitus and hearing loss, plus all other forms of "long COVID-19", I know, COVID-19 is disease from hell, I thought I was going to die, and my son also the same. We all vaccinated here, if it weren't for vaccine, it would be ICU and body bag, or maybe carrying around an oxygen tank for rest of our lives.

Please do not ever listen to anti-vaxxers, maybe 1/10 million might get some unexplained reaction, but the vaccine is extraordinarily safe, and it will make your illness a lot lighter, since everyone will be getting COVID-19, and maybe not just once.

I still have brain fog and difficulty with finding/fetching words, so I use other words to express myself, since my brain can't find the ones I'm looking for. My hearing was temporarily worse, and my tinnitus got worse, from COVID-19. That's not something you want, especially if you think for a living (I do, I'm paid to think).

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now