Loud Concert 3 Months Ago — I'm Still Having Symptoms, Burning / Itching Ear

Update... now at about 18 mos. since injury. 90-95% improved. Still a bit sensitive to HVAC noise but overall my hearing injury does not limit me outside of being more cautious around loud environments. I'm writing this for anyone reading that is generally healthy but had a loud exposure. the first 6 mos. were the worst 6 mos. of my life. literally, I cried almost daily. I never thought I would get any better. Started noticing improvement at 9-12 mos. and at 18 mos. I'm doing pretty damn good. Relax, stay well and be careful.

Update... now at about 18 mos. since injury. 90-95% improved. Still a bit sensitive to HVAC noise but overall my hearing injury does not limit me outside of being more cautious around loud environments. I'm writing this for anyone reading that is generally healthy but had a loud exposure. the first 6 mos. were the worst 6 mos. of my life. literally, I cried almost daily. I never thought I would get any better. Started noticing improvement at 9-12 mos. and at 18 mos. I'm doing pretty damn good. Relax, stay well and be careful.
Have you had a hearing test recently? Do you still have the mild notches?

I've been going through a very similar hell after attending an absurdly loud indoor metal concert in Nov. Must've been 130 dB in a small concert hall, venue staff were all wearing earplugs but very few attendees were. It was so f*cking loud my ears hurt, and people started plugging their ears with their fingers eventually. But I'd chugged a few beers and smoked a few joints before the show and made the worst decision of my life by staying.

I still can't believe this shit is allowed to happen, there should totally be recreational noise regulations. At least have a warning on the tickets! What's the point in playing so loudly you injur your fans? I mean I will never go to another concert again or buy that bands albums so they've lost my money. F*ck the music industry and the morons in metal/rock bands and their toxic masculinity.

Did you avoid earbuds/headphones during this time?

Pleased you have got much better. I have followed your posts with interest and thank you for the regular updates it does give people like myself hope. I have had exactly the same symptoms as you. I am around six months in for hyperacusis. I suppose there has been a tiny improvement but still have ear burning and sensitivity in both ears. Due to your post I have also purchased Formula 303. Tinnitus is also very very loud. Do you have tinnitus?

@Nathan45 I'm interested in your journey and how you did it please.

still have ear burning and sensitivity in both ears

@Sash -- I didn't have burning in my ears until a few months post onset of tinnitus/hyperacusis. At about that time, I'd been learning from my practitioner how to do a little self-acupuncture on myself. Even though I hadn't noticed much improvement in the sessions I'd gotten from him, I thought it might be worth it to experiment a bit on myself (for virtually no cost).

At one point after my ears had been burning rather intently for a week or more, I finally did 3 major points on each ear, for about 20 minutes or so. Took the burning down by about 90% within a few hours--I think this happened a couple more times. I now rarely have burning sensations, although I sometimes experience "warming" sensations instead.

@Lane

Many thanks for the suggestion. Burning is a bit up and down and comes after listening music (around 60 decibels), phone calls, jogging, cycling, traffic. Also have cooling sensations now too. Acupuncture is very interesting - pleased it's worked out for you. I will try to find someone but is there anything on the internet how I can manage do it myself?

Man I have the same symptoms. Did you rest your ears completely or did you still go out and do stuff? I get the burning sensation after noise exposure. I'd appreciate your advice a lot. Thanks.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now