Loud Distressing Tinnitus After Open Air Concert: Is This a Spike or My New Normal?

ErnieMassri

Author
Jul 27, 2020
Tinnitus Since
2010 (spike 2020)
Cause of Tinnitus
Fluoxetine, Alprazolam withdrawal, stress
Hello,

I hope you're doing fine. I was almost ready to post a success story after 3 months of making improvements in my tinnitus. It wasn't gone, but definitely much better.

However, a dark cloud has come again. Yesterday I went to an open air concert. It didn't seem too loud, however, at some point, there was a powerful bass where I could feel my body vibrating. I was having already a difficult day (my tinnitus was bothersome, but under control). After that loud bass, I could feel a terrible spike. I had to leave the area immediately. I did not experience pain nor fullness. However, the loud electric tinnitus was obvious. First all over my head, now in my left ear: relentless.

I feel completely scared, and demoralized. Is this new level permanent? Should I go to Urgent Care to get Prednisolone? This happened this Friday, October 6, 2023. Today is Saturday, October 7, 2023.

Thank you for your advice, and experiences.

Ernie

I've had many spikes over the years. Dealing with one now. All I can say is, try to stay calm. I've had spikes last a couple days to months on end... but I've always gotten back to my normal baseline. Protect your ears. Exercise. Eat healthy. Speak to someone - it helps.

I'm afraid you've got to ride it out, Ernie. We've all been there and it sucks. However, just look after yourself and it should pass. Have hope.

If you are in the US, getting Prednisolone isn't a bad idea, however some people find it makes their tinnitus worse. If you have used Prednisolone previously with success, then sure.

Maybe think about getting some earbuds to help protect your ears.

Let us know how you get on. You're not alone.

Wishing you all well,
Sam

I've had many spikes over the years. Dealing with one now. All I can say is, try to stay calm. I've had spikes last a couple days to months on end... but I've always gotten back to my normal baseline. Protect your ears. Exercise. Eat healthy. Speak to someone - it helps.
Thank you so much for your advice @MusicTeacher. The spike subsided after 5 days. I must say that it lasted longer, because the next day I heard for seconds a fire alarm. So, the tinnitus got to "alarming" levels (no pun intended), but fortunately, it came to the baseline, and I had a week that I could barely hear it.

I bought hearing protection and I have it on a little case in my pocket.

I live in a small town, but for some reason, it´s totally noisy.

Besides your advice, I should add, for those who have experienced improvement (less intrusive tinnitus, more manageable, less unpleasant noise, or even silence), not to lower your guard, ever.

Loud intrusive tinnitus can be such a disgrace, that once we start to feel better, understandably we want to forget about it completely and lead a normal life... so we become complacent with our ears. If I could go back in time (meaning since I was a teenager), I would´ve told my younger self about this condition (I would´ve been way more careful with medicines, loud noises, and foods). Unfortunately, a time machine does not exist. So, in conclusion, my humble advice for everyone, even if you feel better, do not lower your guard, and protect your ears.
I'm afraid you've got to ride it out, Ernie. We've all been there and it sucks. However, just look after yourself and it should pass. Have hope.

If you are in the US, getting Prednisolone isn't a bad idea, however some people find it makes their tinnitus worse. If you have used Prednisolone previously with success, then sure.

Maybe think about getting some earbuds to help protect your ears.

Let us know how you get on. You're not alone.

Wishing you all well,
Sam
Thank you for your words @Samwise_The_Loud, I did get some earbuds to protect my ears. I feel better, my tinnitus spike subsided after 5 days of hell. I found some neuromodulation beats on YouTube that were extremely helpful, as well as giving my ears some rest, fasting, and protecting my ears.

Hello there, sorry I'm not more cheerful. I'm really sad and scared. I'm looking for some words of encouragement and action plan based on your own experiences.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to experience this situation. My already distressing tinnitus became reactive a couple of days ago. Not the first time it happens, but it has taken longer than I would like. When you think a condition cannot get any worse, you get surprised. White noise, and music triggers my tinnitus to a more annoying tone and volume.

Can reactive tinnitus be part of a spike? What's the approach I should take? I'm terrified.

Thank you.

I think it will clear up again. Reading posts on here, some people have had multiple success stories after catching tinnitus more than once. It will fade down if it did the first time.

I think it will clear up again. Reading posts on here, some people have had multiple success stories after catching tinnitus more than once. It will fade down if it did the first time.
Thank you for your reply @TammiaR.

It's been fluctuating like crazy. I had a couple of semi acceptable days (tinnitus became non-reactive), but today it is electrical, extremely sharp, and it's driving me crazy. Even though it is not reactive, it is very difficult to mask. Not sure if it's the high barometric pressure, the weather. Yesterday I was able to sleep, so I'm not sure what could be causing this situation.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now