• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Loud Sounds Make Me Feel Like Passing Out

Nikoh04

Author
Feb 25, 2020
Tinnitus Since
02/19
Cause of Tinnitus
Unknown
I'm new here and thought this would be a great place to discuss what's take place the last few weeks.

So my head feels like a heavy balloon.

Last month I had a nasty flu. I got over it.

But then, 2 weeks ago I started having a heavy full sensation in my head and ears. It felt like I had facial tension. Almost like a brick was inside my head, and it was stretching my face.

I also had begun slight vertigo. These symptoms would come and go throughout day.

No fever. No cough. No ringing. Just tightness and heaviness.

The best feeling however would be laying down at night.

I thought maybe it was my ears or sinus congestion (even though I had no mucus, sore throat or fever). So I took Sudafed, and Ibuprofen.

Didn't work

Eventually, it got so bad that I felt like I was going to pass out. Like die. Any loud sounds would cause me to feel like fainting.

I barely made it to the urgent care who ran a test on me where I would touch my fingers to my nose, my arm to my leg, my leg to my other leg. Doctor also made me follow her finger with my eyes. I accomplished all of these things but I was still dizzy.

The doctor suggested it was a migraine. A migraine. I've had migraines in high school. This wasn't it.

Nonetheless she prescribed me Zofran and Sumatriptan for it.

I went home and still had the same symptoms the next day. Except this time I had burning sensations around my body, hands and feet. Also my hands would throb in certain sitting positions.

I thought this is really crazy.

So I decided I needed another opinion. So I went to see a physician the following the day. And he did the same exam as the doctor at urgent care. However he asked me more questions and spent more time on my physical symptoms.

Eventually he concluded I have a Middle/Inner Ear Infection due to a head cold that stuck around after my flu-like symptoms a month ago.

This is messing up my balance and causing my head to feel like a heavy balloon. He said it could take up to a month to correct itself. I trusted him more because he seemed 100% in his conclusions and I want to believe him.

He prescribed me Meclizine, Ibuprofen, and ear drops with sulfate.

Now I'm back home and still have a heavy heavy head. And I still feel like I'm going to pass out if I move too fast.

But I'm okay with his conclusion of an ear infection. But what bothers me is the sporadic burning sensations throughout my body, in my hands and feet, along with the throbbing fingers when I lay down.

The physician mentioned this could be stress and anxiety due to fighting these symptoms for the last few weeks. It's causing me to worry too much

I want to believe his answer but it's tough.
Have you guys ever had a body reaction like this to your ears?

What do you think this is? Nerve issue? Infection from the flu last month? Stress? Anxiety? Flu season?

Can I really get burning throbbing sensations along with feeling like passing out from sound cause of an ear infection?

I was a somewhat healthy man up to this point.
29 years old 5'7, 170 lbs who goes to the gym 4 out of 7 days a week. Filipino/Mexican with no prior health issues (especially with these symptoms).

I appreciate any piece of advice.

@Nikoh04 -- I'm generally into alternative approaches to health and well beging, and the first thing I'd recommend is to start doing some intermittent fasting. That's basically stretching out the time from the last time you've eaten in one day, to the first eating of the next day. Most people aim for at least 16 hours a day, but others do more. I've heard of people who've gone to this format of eating, and significantly improved their health in a number of ways, even though they still ate the very same foods.

A good thing to do during this fast time is to drink some kind of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice drink. The recipe for my favorite Apple Cider Vinegar Drink is on THIS 6-MIN. VIDEO

2 tbsp ACV
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp stevia
Add to 1 quart water

Experiment with the above for your own personal taste...

Below is a link to a turmeric drink recipe that I also think would be helpful. Incorporating these drinks makes the intermittent fasting more effective and enjoyable.

The Easiest Golden Milk Recipe (Golden Milk Latte) | Mama Natural

I'd be extremely surprised if this regimin doesn't begin to clear out your sinuses and reduce the pressure in your head in pretty short order. -- There's quite a large number of other things you could consider, but IMO, this is one of the best places to start. As Rumi once said, "Fasting is the first principle of medicine".

@Nikoh04, forgot to also mention, that same reaction to sound has the clinical name of "Tullio" phenomenon. If you mention that to your doctor, you may get a better work up!

I'm new here and thought this would be a great place to discuss what's take place the last few weeks.

So my head feels like a heavy balloon.

Last month I had a nasty flu. I got over it.

But then, 2 weeks ago I started having a heavy full sensation in my head and ears. It felt like I had facial tension. Almost like a brick was inside my head, and it was stretching my face.

I also had begun slight vertigo. These symptoms would come and go throughout day.

No fever. No cough. No ringing. Just tightness and heaviness.

The best feeling however would be laying down at night.

I thought maybe it was my ears or sinus congestion (even though I had no mucus, sore throat or fever). So I took Sudafed, and Ibuprofen.

Didn't work

Eventually, it got so bad that I felt like I was going to pass out. Like die. Any loud sounds would cause me to feel like fainting.

I barely made it to the urgent care who ran a test on me where I would touch my fingers to my nose, my arm to my leg, my leg to my other leg. Doctor also made me follow her finger with my eyes. I accomplished all of these things but I was still dizzy.

The doctor suggested it was a migraine. A migraine. I've had migraines in high school. This wasn't it.

Nonetheless she prescribed me Zofran and Sumatriptan for it.

I went home and still had the same symptoms the next day. Except this time I had burning sensations around my body, hands and feet. Also my hands would throb in certain sitting positions.

I thought this is really crazy.

So I decided I needed another opinion. So I went to see a physician the following the day. And he did the same exam as the doctor at urgent care. However he asked me more questions and spent more time on my physical symptoms.

Eventually he concluded I have a Middle/Inner Ear Infection due to a head cold that stuck around after my flu-like symptoms a month ago.

This is messing up my balance and causing my head to feel like a heavy balloon. He said it could take up to a month to correct itself. I trusted him more because he seemed 100% in his conclusions and I want to believe him.

He prescribed me Meclizine, Ibuprofen, and ear drops with sulfate.

Now I'm back home and still have a heavy heavy head. And I still feel like I'm going to pass out if I move too fast.

But I'm okay with his conclusion of an ear infection. But what bothers me is the sporadic burning sensations throughout my body, in my hands and feet, along with the throbbing fingers when I lay down.

The physician mentioned this could be stress and anxiety due to fighting these symptoms for the last few weeks. It's causing me to worry too much

I want to believe his answer but it's tough.
Have you guys ever had a body reaction like this to your ears?

What do you think this is? Nerve issue? Infection from the flu last month? Stress? Anxiety? Flu season?

Can I really get burning throbbing sensations along with feeling like passing out from sound cause of an ear infection?

I was a somewhat healthy man up to this point.
29 years old 5'7, 170 lbs who goes to the gym 4 out of 7 days a week. Filipino/Mexican with no prior health issues (especially with these symptoms).

Sorry that you feel bad. The burning feeling in the body could possibly be linked, to a med that you could be taking. Stress and anxiety could possibly be the reason as well. Certain neurological disorders can possibly cause a burning sensation as well. Inner ear infections need to be addressed and taken care of. They could be an annoyance, trust me I been there myself with infections and it has annoyed me many many times.

When ever I am dealing with an issue, I will journal how I feel before and after I take any action to help me get better.
I always track back as much as i can and try to see what has taken place in a chronological order and try to see and reason with myself, as to why I am feeling how I am feeling.

Things will not just happen for no treason (most of the time). There has to be a certain reason, why we experience certain things. There are possible reasons, as to whey we feel better or not at times too (not 100%, but a lot). Being sick, having possible illness or flu can possibly take a toll on us.

Hope ya feel better :)

@Nikoh04 -- I'm generally into alternative approaches to health and well beging, and the first thing I'd recommend is to start doing some intermittent fasting. That's basically stretching out the time from the last time you've eaten in one day, to the first eating of the next day. Most people aim for at least 16 hours a day, but others do more. I've heard of people who've gone to this format of eating, and significantly improved their health in a number of ways, even though they still ate the very same foods.

A good thing to do during this fast time is to drink some kind of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice drink. The recipe for my favorite Apple Cider Vinegar Drink is on THIS 6-MIN. VIDEO

2 tbsp ACV
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp stevia
Add to 1 quart water

Experiment with the above for your own personal taste...

Below is a link to a turmeric drink recipe that I also think would be helpful. Incorporating these drinks makes the intermittent fasting more effective and enjoyable.

The Easiest Golden Milk Recipe (Golden Milk Latte) | Mama Natural

I'd be extremely surprised if this regimin doesn't begin to clear out your sinuses and reduce the pressure in your head in pretty short order. -- There's quite a large number of other things you could consider, but IMO, this is one of the best places to start. As Rumi once said, "Fasting is the first principle of medicine".
Thank you for all the advice! I was committed to intermittent fasting a long time ago. I think now would be a great time to start up a different, more healthier lifestyle!

And thank you for the recipes. Very thoughtful of you. I'll give it a go once I get all the supplies!

@Nikoh04, forgot to also mention, that same reaction to sound has the clinical name of "Tullio" phenomenon. If you mention that to your doctor, you may get a better work up!
Just quickly researched Tullio phenomenon. That's very interesting. I had no idea that certain sounds can make people react that way on a day to day basis. Honestly it's a little frightening and disheartening to think a little change of pressure can cause these things to happen.

Know of any remedies to diminish the feelings associated with SCDS?

The fainting feeling from loud noises only started on me a few weeks ago. It aligns with my other symptoms. So hopefully it's not Tllio and maybe just due to a bad ear infection?

Thanks for the advice!

Sorry that you feel bad. The burning feeling in the body could possibly be linked, to a med that you could be taking. Stress and anxiety could possibly be the reason as well. Certain neurological disorders can possibly cause a burning sensation as well. Inner ear infections need to be addressed and taken care of. They could be an annoyance, trust me I been there myself with infections and it has annoyed me many many times.

When ever I am dealing with an issue, I will journal how I feel before and after I take any action to help me get better.
I always track back as much as i can and try to see what has taken place in a chronological order and try to see and reason with myself, as to why I am feeling how I am feeling.

Things will not just happen for no treason (most of the time). There has to be a certain reason, why we experience certain things. There are possible reasons, as to whey we feel better or not at times too (not 100%, but a lot). Being sick, having possible illness or flu can possibly take a toll on us.

Hope ya feel better :)
Yeah, it sounds like there's many reasons why I'm getting these burning sensations. Hard to pinpoint it tbh.

Like you said, I'm just going to take it one day at a time. A journal may help and also keeping myself busy and out of my mind. I'll try not to overthink things or google search my symptoms (because they always end up saying I'm going to die). It'll be hard but I must continue with a positive attitude.

In regards to ear infections, I've never had one before this "supposed" ear infection. So I have nothing to compare it to. So this is tough for me.

As someone who has had ear infections before, do these symptoms match up with yours?

I appreciate your message!

Just quickly researched Tullio phenomenon. That's very interesting. I had no idea that certain sounds can make people react that way on a day to day basis. Honestly it's a little frightening and disheartening to think a little change of pressure can cause these things to happen.

Know of any remedies to diminish the feelings associated with SCDS?

The fainting feeling from loud noises only started on me a few weeks ago. It aligns with my other symptoms. So hopefully it's not Tllio and maybe just due to a bad ear infection?

Thanks for the advice!
Who knows, but it is an unusual enough symptom where is is definitely worth mentioning to your doctor if it continues. It's not something (I don't believe) that could be managed with home remedies. You would want a diagnosis though before trying to treat it anyway. Hyperacusus causes pain or excessive loudness, dizziness from loud sound (Tullio) is much more unusual symptom.

As far as link to a possible infection, some people reportedly develop it after an infection.

This would not be the cause of your body nerve pain, though. Have you seen a neurologist? You can pass a basic neuro exam (sounds like you had one) and still have an underlying issue.

A neurologist (at least in the US) like an ENT can also do what's called "caloric testing" to check the function of your inner ear. This rules in or rules out a lot of things. As an aside, there is a kind of migraine called vestibular migraine which only causes dizziness (not head pain) but for persistent dizziness from it, your VNG (caloric testing) should be abnormal. Hopefully you can get a much bigger work up so they can get you treatment soon!

Who knows, but it is an unusual enough symptom where is is definitely worth mentioning to your doctor if it continues. It's not something (I don't believe) that could be managed with home remedies. You would want a diagnosis though before trying to treat it anyway. Hyperacusus causes pain or excessive loudness, dizziness from loud sound (Tullio) is much more unusual symptom.

As far as link to a possible infection, some people reportedly develop it after an infection.

This would not be the cause of your body nerve pain, though. Have you seen a neurologist? You can pass a basic neuro exam (sounds like you had one) and still have an underlying issue.

A neurologist (at least in the US) like an ENT can also do what's called "caloric testing" to check the function of your inner ear. This rules in or rules out a lot of things. As an aside, there is a kind of migraine called vestibular migraine which only causes dizziness (not head pain) but for persistent dizziness from it, your VNG (caloric testing) should be abnormal. Hopefully you can get a much bigger work up so they can get you treatment soon!
I have yet to see a neurologist. Although the swollen head, facial tension, vertigo started 3 weeks ago, it feels like it certainly has progressed in the last week and is about to climax sometime soon.

I don't know if that means I'm on the track to getting healthy or if I'm heading towards a downward spiral.

But the longer it takes to get healthier, the more I find myself in my own thoughts and I start freaking out, which in return may bring me back to square one.

The thing is I've never had symptoms quite like these ones before.

I've had sinus pressure and vertigo that lasted a few days before it went away. But for something like this to stick around for awhile has really messed with me.

Flu season seemed to spark this.

I appreciate your advice.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now