Loud Tone for a Few Seconds — Fleeting / Transient Spontaneous Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cher69, Aug 5, 2013.

?

Have You Experienced Fleeting Tinnitus?

1. Yes, even before I got chronic tinnitus

2. Yes, only after I got chronic tinnitus

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. DimLeb

DimLeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic Cochleopathy or Maybe Loud Music
      I generally have frequent SBUTT episodes since my permanent mild tinnitus onset 2 years ago, many more than in my previous non-tinnitus life. Sometimes a few times a week, or a few times a month, but sometimes many times a week. Once or twice a day usually, lasting 5-20 seconds, with or without the blocked feeling/reduced hearing, and it can be happening for many consecutive days.

But today I've had at least 4 SBUTTs in the left ear, which is making me an anxious mess. I'm not totally sure, but the first one also left me a reactive tone happening at low volume for some time. All 4 times, it thankfully returned to normal. But there is still a weird feeling in that ear (no blocked feeling or lost hearing though). My permanent tinnitus also seems elevated a bit too, despite rarely exposing myself to any loud sound (not going much out of home). It hasn't shown any signs of getting worse with noise anyway.

For a bit of background, the last 2 months I've been having trouble with episodes of MEM (spontaneous spasms in the right ear) lasting for hours at a time, triggered by burps/hiccups. And that is on top of TTTS (reactive spasms to some sounds) which I had developed 2 years ago. I've been suspecting I may have something like sinusitis or ETD, because I get a weird blocked feeling when I lie down.

I took 5 mg of Prednisone today and will continue for some days, just in case. I don't know why I'm posting this, I know not much can be done for this crap, but maybe someone sees this and gives me some advice. I'm really in a tough situation.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Swampy

Swampy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I can’t really give any help sadly, but I’m in the same boat!

I get many fleeting episodes, and sometimes they are not so fleeting and stick around for hours on end, and as well as having the muffled hearing/louder tinnitus from it, it also gets reactive and distorted often too and it’s quite scary.

I also have both TTTS and MEM, with episodes of the MEM happening pretty much everyday and lasting hours usually, and also many regular tinnitus tones, pulsatile tinnitus, patulous Eustachian tubes (autophony) but also at the same time chronic sinus issues, very weird, slight hearing loss and had a cholesteatoma growing too. It’s all a mess to be honest. I wish I had answers about these weird non-fleeting/fleeting episodes that stick and get reactive and weird.

I’m actually having turbinate reduction surgery in a couple of days and I’m quite worried about it worsening any of my ear issues, but intrigued to see if it helps anything (ear wise) at all in some way too.

Wish you the best.