• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Loudness Hyperacusis and a "Cookie Bite" Audiogram

It's weird, I have never experienced the classic "knife in my ear" stabbing pain that immediately follows noise exposure. More of a delayed burning.

However, when I am lying in bed at night I frequently get an ice-pick feeling in one ear - or like my ears is being pricked with a sharp needle. It's not that bad and it's more distracting than anything else but it's weird how I only really get it when lying in bed at night.

It's weird, I have never experienced the classic "knife in my ear" stabbing pain that immediately follows noise exposure. More of a delayed burning.

However, when I am lying in bed at night I frequently get an ice-pick feeling in one ear - or like my ears is being pricked with a sharp needle. It's not that bad and it's more distracting than anything else but it's weird how I only really get it when lying in bed at night.
I haven't either, for me it's more like a booming in my inner ear and also burning/acidy feeling.

It's just speculation. But I don't really get random pain, just lots of delayed pain after big noise exposures.
So each time you get a stabbing pain, you can tie to a big noise exposure even if it's delayed by hours?

I only ask because sometimes I get achy pain, but I can't tie it to any noise. It just tends to happen so I'm wondering if it's random, or if low level sounds are setting it off.

Same here regarding the burning.

I get random achy ear pains sometimes but I can't tie it in with any noise, I honestly feel like it's a jaw issue sometimes. Most of my pain is in the form of cold burning on my face or ear canals, or sometimes sounds feel like they're almost putting pressure on my ears but that's more of a discomfort rather than pain.

I've gotten the needle feeling, also only in bed but it was on the cartilage portion of my ear.

when I am lying in bed at night I frequently get an ice-pick feeling in one ear - or like my ears is being pricked with a sharp needle. It's not that bad and it's more distracting than anything else but it's weird how I only really get it when lying in bed at night.
Have you tried sleeping on 2-3 pillows, and if yes, does it happen less often or is it the same?

@Orions Pain I finally received my audiogram. My appointment was cancelled due to COVID-19. Does my audiogram look similar to yours? They say I have good hearing for my age (31) but I'm, like you, struggling with tinnitus and hyperacusis.

B6503C60-7750-4A62-AEAB-6AE1C9A8E677.jpeg

@Orions Pain I finally received my audiogram. My appointment was cancelled due to COVID-19. Does my audiogram look similar to yours? They say I have good hearing for my age (31) but I'm, like you, struggling with tinnitus and hyperacusis.

View attachment 42409
My audiogram looks a bit different (I've posted it in the audiograms thread) but it's similar to yours in that none one my hearing dips into the hearing loss area.

Here's a link to the thread:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/posts/547021/

Do you think this drug could help with the inflammation/irritation of the trigeminal nerve? As is known that the inflammation of this nerve can also cause or contribute to the loudness of tinnitus.
I don't think that's "known" - it's still a theory at this point but if the the theory is correct, then I think it's likely it will.

What confuses me is in every support group for TTTS no one seems to have any burning or any face pain. Lots of acoustic trauma people there too, but I find that interesting. You'd think more would experience something similar.
I had a mechanical trauma of the middle ear. A very clogged ear due to an external fungus. I considered it like that because my middle ear muscles don't function properly anymore, and I have low tubal pressure in that ear.

Problem is that I was left with very loud tinnitus in both ears. I can't understand the mechanism and I really don't know what to do about it. No pain. Normal hearing up to 16,000 Hz.

Thanks :) It's good to know. Unfortunately I have tinnitus and hyperacusis even if my hearing is good.
Dilemma. I have hyperacusis but really bad hearing so I can ease it a little when my hearing aids are off. I'd still rather have your hearing though.

Unfortunately I have tinnitus and hyperacusis even if my hearing is good.
I had severe hyperacusis, and my audiogram had a dip in high frequencies after the first noise trauma. The dip would fluctuate a bit, and different audiometers showed slightly different results, but this was an early indication of trouble, even if my hearing was very good.

Your audiogram just seems perfect. There is no sign of damage there, so maybe with a bit of time you will recover.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now