Loudness or Pain Hyperacusis (Noxacusis)? Hearing Everything Loud, Some Noises Cause Sharp Ear Pain

Heal82

Author
Benefactor
Dec 18, 2023
Tinnitus Since
12/2023
Cause of Tinnitus
Ear plugs, Dental procedure and Ear Irrigation
Hi all,

Can someone please help me in identifying whether I have loudness hyperacusis or pain hyperacusis (noxacusis)? My hyperacusis developed after ear irrigation. After the ear irrigation, I started hearing everything very, very loudly. In fact I started hearing sounds that normally people don't hear like the sound made by phone charger.

After a few days I started noticing discomfort on hearing these noises, such as opening the tap in bathroom or flushing the toilet. The discomfort I feel is a sharp pain in my left ear. The pain does subside after sometime. My right ear is still a little bit better. It doesn't cause pain that much when I hear these discomforting noises. The discomforting noises could be as simple as my daughter coughing or turning pages of her book.

Thanks.

Sounds like you have both. While uncommon overall, it is not that uncommon to start with loudness hyperacusis and to develop pain hyperacusis down the line.

Seems it has all developed quickly after your trigger event. Was it really ear irrigation? Or a dental procedure based on your profile?

Be careful but try not to overprotect as you can further "teach" the brain to react that way. This is not fully understood (or really hardly at all), but there is a decent evidence that at least in some cases hyperacusis, both pain and loudness, is brain maladaptation, and not something coming directly from the ear. If you google for "central sensitization hyperacusis" you will find discussions and some success stories on how to overcome it through gradual exposure and the management of emotional response.

Thanks @gameover for a hopeful reply.

You are right that I first had a dental procedure on both sides of my jaw which involved drilling and also cleaning of teeth using an instrument that was making a weird noise. Subsequently I had to run to an urgent clinic as I developed a horrifying ringing noise on my right ear. The nurse did ear irrigation in both of my ears which removed the ringing noise. However, everything was just too loud and I started hearing certain noises that I had never heard earlier.

As you mentioned, I am trying to play gentle peaceful music over my Bluetooth speaker. The sound is low enough for me to enjoy the music. I think it is just one level above mute.

I hope to fix this thing in 6 to 12 months. I know it is going to be hard but I don't have any other choice. I am the sole bread earner in the family of 3 which is me, my wife and my 8-year-old daughter. They both have been so supportive and helpful.

I really loved what your wife told you about life. That life is not just about happiness but about meaning/purpose. It's time to make gameover of hyperacusis and tinnitus.

I have set up an appointment with a therapist for next week who is good at CBT. Additionally, another appointment with a psychiatrist has been set up for next week. I am currently taking Alprazolam (0.5 mg) once every 2-3 nights as I am unable to sleep because of anxiety and my tinnitus. I don't want to take it every night because of all the negative feedback that I have read about it on the Internet.

I had a hearing test last week and my hearing was okay in both the ears. So, no MRI required. I have an appointment with the audiologist but it is in February. And another appointment with an ENT next week. I don't have much hope with the ENT based on what I have been reading online.

Sounds like you have both. While uncommon overall, it is not that uncommon to start with loudness hyperacusis and to develop pain hyperacusis down the line.

Seems it has all developed quickly after your trigger event. Was it really ear irrigation? Or a dental procedure based on your profile?

Be careful but try not to overprotect as you can further "teach" the brain to react that way. This is not fully understood (or really hardly at all), but there is a decent evidence that at least in some cases hyperacusis, both pain and loudness, is brain maladaptation, and not something coming directly from the ear. If you google for "central sensitization hyperacusis" you will find discussions and some success stories on how to overcome it through gradual exposure and the management of emotional response.
Great response. Lately I'm realizing how the quantity of deep sleep I get (per my Apple Watch) corresponds with how my hyperacusis behaves. Even as a proxy the Apple Watch is great. Deep sleep just seems to be elusive these days. I think that's where Clomipramine or something could maybe come in handy for me and help me get a grip on that overactive emotional response and tonic state of my middle ear muscles. Mirtazapine isn't cutting it unfortunately.

@gameover, I have been trying not to overprotect but I keep getting accidentally exposed to loud noises. I went to pay for parking in a parking lot and a Mustang right next to it started up and since then my left ear has been feeling so bad, I feel like it's noxacusis. It just constantly hurts and my head feels like it's about to explode.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now