Major Stardom Opportunity — Concert/Show Decibel on Stage

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nicjane, Mar 12, 2024.

1. Nicjane

Nicjane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi guys,

I’m just coming on here to ask whether any of you know the typical decibel level on stage at a pop concert (arena and stadium shows, and award show/TV performances).

Do pop solo artists usually have control over the volume of their shows, or does someone else make this decision?

I understand that good custom earplugs can protect up to 30 dB, but what decibel and frequency does the sound have to be at to enter the ear via bone conduction? Also, how many decibels can enter the ear via bone conduction, even with earplugs?

I’m a musician who has been offered a life-changing opportunity—quite literally, an opportunity that will guarantee major stardom. As you can see, I’m in quite a dilemma. I hope someone can offer some knowledge and advice on this matter.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Jenny_S

Jenny_S Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Hi @Nicjane, I cannot answer your queries (though I’d like to see an answer to your bone conduction queries for a personal setback), but an amazing opportunity for you. I hope you take it!

• Like Like x 1
    3. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      The average noise volume at a concert or festival is around 100 to 110 dB. This is the level that fans are exposed to; I imagine that onstage would be just as loud, but I'm not certain.

• Like Like x 1
    4. StubbyJ

StubbyJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      There are a million variables regarding your stage situation; especially if you are asking proactively with no current hearing damage. Most performers are now going direct to FOH with instruments to keep stage volume down with great results. In many cases, stage dB is lower than what the audience hears. I don't have experience with the pop world, but I imagine void of guitar cabs blaring and a hard-hitting drummer the odds of it being manageable are good. Look at Sensaphonic for IEM/hearing protection gear. If you can pick your location on stage and won't be moving around, I think you'll be fine. Feel free to ask more. I'm a musician with tinnitus and hyperacusis navigating the same issue.

Good luck!