Nicjane

Author
Jun 16, 2021
Tinnitus Since
01/2017
Cause of Tinnitus
Unknown
Hi guys,

I'm just coming on here to ask whether any of you know the typical decibel level on stage at a pop concert (arena and stadium shows, and award show/TV performances).

Do pop solo artists usually have control over the volume of their shows, or does someone else make this decision?

I understand that good custom earplugs can protect up to 30 dB, but what decibel and frequency does the sound have to be at to enter the ear via bone conduction? Also, how many decibels can enter the ear via bone conduction, even with earplugs?

I'm a musician who has been offered a life-changing opportunity—quite literally, an opportunity that will guarantee major stardom. As you can see, I'm in quite a dilemma. I hope someone can offer some knowledge and advice on this matter.

Thanks!

Hi @Nicjane, I cannot answer your queries (though I'd like to see an answer to your bone conduction queries for a personal setback), but an amazing opportunity for you. I hope you take it!

The average noise volume at a concert or festival is around 100 to 110 dB. This is the level that fans are exposed to; I imagine that onstage would be just as loud, but I'm not certain.

There are a million variables regarding your stage situation; especially if you are asking proactively with no current hearing damage. Most performers are now going direct to FOH with instruments to keep stage volume down with great results. In many cases, stage dB is lower than what the audience hears. I don't have experience with the pop world, but I imagine void of guitar cabs blaring and a hard-hitting drummer the odds of it being manageable are good. Look at Sensaphonic for IEM/hearing protection gear. If you can pick your location on stage and won't be moving around, I think you'll be fine. Feel free to ask more. I'm a musician with tinnitus and hyperacusis navigating the same issue.

Good luck!

Hey @Nicjane, you posted a few years ago about a significant spike caused by driving. Did it ever resolve, and if so, how long did it take? Do you remember? Also, what did you decide to do about the show?

Hey @Nicjane, you posted a few years ago about a significant spike caused by driving. Did it ever resolve, and if so, how long did it take? Do you remember? Also, what did you decide to do about the show?
Hi @Zigs,

Yes, it did settle down to a lower level. To be honest, my anxiety was really high, and I was barely sleeping. I think that had a lot to do with the sustained spike. I've realized now that lack of sleep temporarily makes the tinnitus louder. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry too much—it's likely that the spike will subside.

I'm also doing further research into options for the show :)
There are a million variables regarding your stage situation; especially if you are asking proactively with no current hearing damage. Most performers are now going direct to FOH with instruments to keep stage volume down with great results. In many cases, stage dB is lower than what the audience hears. I don't have experience with the pop world, but I imagine void of guitar cabs blaring and a hard-hitting drummer the odds of it being manageable are good. Look at Sensaphonic for IEM/hearing protection gear. If you can pick your location on stage and won't be moving around, I think you'll be fine. Feel free to ask more. I'm a musician with tinnitus and hyperacusis navigating the same issue.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for your reply, @StubbyJ!

I know that for frequent performances—like those of a major artist—using IEMs is standard. Do you think this could pose a risk for someone who already has tinnitus?

Also, do you have a rough estimate of the decibel levels on stage?

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now