Massive Tinnitus Spike from CPAP Machine

Discussion in 'Support' started by withintention, Mar 19, 2024.

1. withintention

withintention Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise and/or infection
      Hi all,

I developed tinnitus from noise exposure in October 2023. Over the last few months, I had finally started to habituate a bit; I would sometimes forget about it for about 30 minutes at a time.

Last week, I got a CPAP machine. The doctor accidentally set it to max air pressure. I wore it all night and woke up with a massive spike. The volume is easily 2x what it was before, though the tone stayed the same. I saw an ENT, and he diagnosed me with Patulous Eustachian Tube and said it should get better over time. But mentally, I'm back to when it first started, noticing it all the time, and it's giving me random panic attacks.

Has anyone else experienced an issue like this from a CPAP machine, and did it get better?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Not from a CPAP, but since my tinnitus became much worse 8 years ago, I've experienced Patulous Eustachian Tube dysfunction on and off; it sometimes happens to me during high stress, exercise, or simply occurs out of the blue.

I was very anxious when it first occurred at my job, and it was highly disturbing. I immediately googled my symptoms - audible respiratory sounds, abnormal perception of one's breath, and voice sounds coming through my ears.

I've since learned that sniffing repetitively to close the Eustachian Tube is detrimental and could lead to long-term negative middle ear pressure. This pressure may lead to complications, such as fluid in the middle ear or damage to the eardrum. Decongestants should be avoided as they can also worsen symptoms.

It's something that rarely upsets me now, as it usually resolves within several minutes. The long-term treatments are staying hydrated, gaining weight to keep the Eustachian Tube closed, taking medications to help close the tube, or having surgery.

The surgery involves inserting fillers or plugs to help close the Eustachian Tube opening in the nasal cavity. I imagine that there may be new treatments that are on the horizon.

I know the feeling of panic attacks as I've had many from both the tinnitus and Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. I never saw a doctor for this condition, but hopefully your doctor can guide you to relief and assist you with understanding your Eustachian Tube Dysfunction.

3. Utdmad89
      Depressed

Utdmad89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I use a CPAP machine. My tinnitus doesn't spike from it. I do get Eustachian tube problems from it, though.