Podcast Patron
Benefactor
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Tinnitus Since
10/2013
Cause of Tinnitus
Otosclerosis
Hey all. I've just discovered that there's a hearing/tinnitus treatment clinic near where I live (Oakville, Ontario, Canada). I called them up today and the receptionist said that the 'treatment', whatever it is, costs $140. I put off on booking an appointment simply because I have no inkling of what this treatment is and if it's worth it. Anybody know what it would be? I checked the website and it doesn't say what it is!

A web address would be helpful. :)

I have no inkling of what this treatment is and if it's worth it.
Could the price you were quoted be for the initial consultation?

Screen Shot 2014-12-11 at 04.41.36.png

http://www.metro-hearing-tinnitus.com/images/November_2014_front.pdf

Hi - do you have an update ?

I presume the lack of an update means he is trying some type of tinnitus therapy. And, indeed, it must be TRT from the links provided. Usually, the first thing an audiologist tells people entering tinnitus treatment is to stay away from the tinnitus boards.

This is okay, of course, but I wish members who are told this--and decide to stay away-- would tell us and then come back later to say if the therapy worked. :)

And, though the practitioners appear to be well trained, the website and related pdf just look awful! The clinic definitely needs to rethink how professionals market their services.

Sorry all, but I haven't yet gone to the clinic. I'm rather nervous about doing so. I've spent the last year and a half coming to terms with the tinnitus and am worried that it's all either a lot of snake-oil or it might make things worse.

Sorry all, but I haven't yet gone to the clinic. I'm rather nervous about doing so. I've spent the last year and a half coming to terms with the T and am worried that it's all either a lot of snake-oil or it might make things worse.
I have also considered this clinic as I am in the Hamilton, Ontario, Canada area but hesitant for similar reasons. Not sure my reactive tinnitus would respond well to TRT.

I don't know why it took me five years, maybe because I was getting used to my tinnitus, but I finally went to the clinic today.

The place wasn't very cutting edge and the paperwork they gave me to fill out was of a dubious format with lots of grammar errors. I wasn't there for treatment, just to find out what they do. The actual doctor's office was pretty cool and he seemed alright even if I had trouble understanding his accent.

Sounds like TRT as many of you have said with weird sci-fi helmets and brain-scanners. The treatment would span a year and would cost at least $3,000. I can't afford to take that dive right now.

So, do you think I should try it when I can afford it?

You've not really provided anywhere near enough information for anyone to give you good feedback here.

Sci-fi helmets could be super cool, or could just make you look like daft punk.

You've not really provided anywhere near enough information for anyone to give you good feedback here.
The doctor mostly talked about how tinnitus works and how a regimented treatment of sound therapy and CBT can help minimize it. That's it. I don't know what the specifics are until I begin the 'treatment', and I can't afford it right now. Problem is I would have to be paying the full amount up front which is sketchy AF.

They've been around a long time. Doesn't mean they have any idea what they're doing, but suggests they aren't a pop up shop at least.

Maybe ask them for some references of past clients? They can't provide names (doctor/patient), but they could have past happy patients get in touch with you. If they are that great, they should have patients like that.

I've been here. It's in Mississauga Ontario outside of Toronto, Dundas/10 Highway.

It's TRT.

That's it.

TRT.

Their treatment is TRT. Receptionist even told me it follows the Jastreboff model.

FYI

Big rip off

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now