• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Music Still Sounds Broken

Jason C

Author
Sep 24, 2016
Tinnitus Since
29 May 2016
Cause of Tinnitus
Burgler Alarm
Well, 5 months in.

Music sounds broken, like a busted speaker. :(

Question is, how much damage has this alarm done too my hearing??? Is there any test too tell this??

I was exposed to a very powerful alarm for several minutes and close range.

I can hear speech fine, birds singing, my watch ticking on my desk etc but music sounds broken like a broken speaker with a rattle :(

The T itself isn't crazy loud thankfully and sleep has improved. Sometimes I can't hear it at all.

Hyperacusis has improved a lot and things like plates banging together or traffic noise isn't as bad as it was.

I miss my music :( I try and listen too it but it just sounds crap. It has improved a little but still not clear. (I do not use headphones)

Basic audiogram shows a dip a 4K but hearing is classed as normal.

I am thinking my acoustic trauma is more like blast damage rather than noise induced from the likes of a concert etc

This along with balance issues, T and self loathing :(

Thoughts??

You lot have been a great help these last 5 months. Thankyou for all your support.

Still awaiting appointment with ent not that they will be any good.

Have you noticed if its surround sound music you have trouble with or if it's from one side of the room etc.
My tinnitus is sever and bilateral and do suffer greatly locating sound but find music better if coming from in front of me unlike music in a store etc...lots of love glynis

Have you noticed if its surround sound music you have trouble with or if it's from one side of the room etc.
My tinnitus is sever and bilateral and do suffer greatly locating sound but find music better if coming from in front of me unlike music in a store etc...lots of love glynis

Dosent seem to matter, the rattle is there during music at the gym, at home on front facing speakers, radio at work, music in stores, I don't think it's the tinnitus that causes the rattle I think it's frequency loss I could understand it if I had other issues hearing but speech, phone, audio books etc all fine. Some have suggested hyperacusis but I feel that has faded a lot.

I got similar problems, though probably worse. What is your hearing range?

Well I have only been tested on a standard audio test so far and was told my hearing was within normal range with a 5db dip at 4K everything else was within 10db

When I test myself on the YouTube tests I can hear up to 14kish

I am 37.

Fingers crossed as your hyperacusis settles your music becomes more clear.
Hope ENT can come up with answers also after a hearing test etc.
Stay positive as your making progress and that's great to hear.....lots of love glynis

Fingers crossed as your hyperacusis settles your music becomes more clear.
Hope ENT can come up with answers also after a hearing test etc.
Stay positive as your making progress and that's great to hear.....lots of love glynis

I do fell things are improving especially in the last few weeks witch is odd after 5 months but things do sounds better.

For example playing a computer game last month the cars sounded like a grinder but now they sound a lot like they used too.

Progress is progress.

I actually have about the same average. Both ears are 10 dB with my left having a notch of 15 db in 4khz, and another at 2khz. Cannot hear passed 14khz. It's a pain. Music hasn't been a joy in a long time, years really.

Hope things get better for you. We are getting so much closer to hearing regeneration, so one day we will be able to hear clearly again. The main obstacle I think for people like us who are in normal range is how they do the treatment without harm.

I actually have about the same average. Both ears are 10 dB with my left having a notch of 15 db in 4khz, and another at 2khz. Cannot hear passed 14khz. It's a pain. Music hasn't been a joy in a long time, years really.

Hope things get better for you. We are getting so much closer to hearing regeneration, so one day we will be able to hear clearly again. The main obstacle I think for people like us who are in normal range is how they do the treatment without harm.

Is your T noise induced too??

Yea it really kills me, I could relax for hours just watching music vids on you tube and a couple of glasses of wine. Now I can't relax at all and music sounds crap.

I absolutely hate myself.

Yes. I was really foolish in my teenage years, and now I have very loud tinnitus. It drowns out the sound of crickets from its loudness.

Not only that, but I also have occasional muscular and pulsatile tinnitus. My left ear also feels rather dull, and my right ear slightly does as well. Sometimes I worry I might have hyperacusis, because my niece crying or screeching infuriates me.

The good news is, in your age, not being able to hear above 14khz is rather trivial. Most people around your age cannot hear passed 15khz. In my case, it's pretty bad. I'm 22.

Yes. I was really foolish in my teenage years, and now I have very loud tinnitus. It drowns out the sound of crickets from its loudness.

Not only that, but I also have occasional muscular and pulsatile tinnitus. My left ear also feels rather dull, and my right ear slightly does as well. Sometimes I worry I might have hyperacusis, because my niece crying or screeching infuriates me.

The good news is, in your age, not being able to hear above 14khz is rather trivial. Most people around your age cannot hear passed 15khz. In my case, it's pretty bad. I'm 22.

Has your T gotten worse over time??
Along with T I have balance issues and feel unsteady, pulsatile T, aural fullness although that comes and goes.
One of my staff is 27, listens to his MP3 player a lot and it's loud, I have warned him but of course he dosent listen lol he can't hear past 14k either but as yet has no T.
I could deal with all my problem a lot easier if I could enjoy music.

Yes, it has. I did those frequency tests on YouTube regularly, but would turn up the volume when I couldn't hear. Eventually I switched to a single 16khz volume and put that on loud often. This was a year ago, and now I cannot hear passed 14khz. I was an idiot.

I kept trying to test my hearing this way because my family thought I was being a hypochondriac and I had no way to figure out what was going on, so I kept experimenting different things to solve the mystery. This ended up making me worse. :/

Yes, it has. I did those frequency tests on YouTube regularly, but would turn up the volume when I couldn't hear. Eventually I switched to a single 16khz volume and put that on loud often. This was a year ago, and now I cannot hear passed 14khz. I was an idiot.

I kept trying to test my hearing this way because my family thought I was being a hypochondriac and I had no way to figure out what was going on, so I kept experimenting different things to solve the mystery. This ended up making me worse. :/

How long have you had T?? Do you experience balance issues??

My fear is that the T gets worse as the ringing is actually not a massive issue at the moment, it's the balance, aural fullness, broken music etc that are the real problem along with not being able to go into noisy places as they just seem way too loud.

I've had tinnitus for as pong as I can remember. Probably since 10 maybe. It got significantly worse when I was 17.

My left ear feels lighter than my right, if you'd consider that a balance issue. Maybe I do have some permanent fullness, not sure. All I know is that the hearing loss I acquired in the last two years has made me lose some feeling of my surroundings, if that makes sense.

15db is still in normal range unless you mean a 15db dip passed normal range which would be 35db?

I'm starting to notice some improvement in my ability to perceive music almost normally again....three years later.

I feel your pain... Before I would spend hours at night just listening to music but now it's impossible. I can listen on speakers at low volume but I don't enjoy it cause it sounds bad and headphones are impossible as after two or three songs the distorsion increases and can last for days...

@PaulBe
That's good news Paul and I hope things continue to improve for you. It took me 4 years to habituate to tinnitus for the 2nd time. I am a positive thinking person but the condtion at times took me to my lowest ebb. I was unable to read a book for two years and never thought I would be at the stage I am now. Keep positive and never give up.
All the best
Michael

i have this problem in my right ear, i don't think it's as bad as yours as i can still enjoyt music frequencies in my damaged ear, just similar frequencies blur, it sucks but it's not god awful like you describe. I worry mine will worsen through

best thing we can do is wait for a treatment in a decade and if not we can always kill ourselves.

I see that this is an old post. But I just realised that music sounds off for me. I don't have any problem with speech, don't have problems with the vocals in music, but instruments sound very out of tune, sound metallic, and violin particularly sounds like a cat whose tail been trapped on. It's whiny and painful (not phisically) to listen to. I'm absolutely a layman, no musical education whatsoever, I don't even have a very great taste in music, but I feel super awful about this. Tinnitus took away so much from me already, I don't want to lose music too. What's next? Music was also a safe haven for me, a very good distraction. I don't know how to live without it. Is it any way, or have you had experience that it may improve? I'm devastated.

I see that this is an old post. But I just realised that music sounds off for me. I don't have any problem with speech, don't have problems with the vocals in music, but instruments sound very out of tune, sound metallic, and violin particularly sounds like a cat whose tail been trapped on. It's whiny and painful (not phisically) to listen to. I'm absolutely a layman, no musical education whatsoever, I don't even have a very great taste in music, but I feel super awful about this. Tinnitus took away so much from me already, I don't want to lose music too. What's next? Music was also a safe haven for me, a very good distraction. I don't know how to live without it. Is it any way, or have you had experience that it may improve? I'm devastated.
Same but mine also sounds either slowed down or sped up sometimes too. It is *completely* devastating. I wish I had an answer.

Same but mine also sounds either slowed down or sped up sometimes too. It is *completely* devastating. I wish I had an answer.

Actually, I'm okay if I listen to only piano, only guitar, only flute. But when instruments are together, it's a mess and not enjoyable at all. Don't understand. Violin sounds strange on its own.

Do you think that an audiologist would be of any help to say why this is happening? I had a hearing test in October, but then I only had a low hum and not the very high pitched sound. That developed a week after the hearing test.

Actually, I'm okay if I listen to only piano, only guitar, only flute. But when instruments are together, it's a mess and not enjoyable at all. Don't understand. Violin sounds strange on its own.

Do you think that an audiologist would be of any help to say why this is happening? I had a hearing test in October, but then I only had a low hum and not the very high pitched sound. That developed a week after the hearing test.
If you find an audiologist who has the first clue about this, let me know. I have seen about 5.

Well, 5 months in.

Music sounds broken, like a busted speaker. :(

Question is, how much damage has this alarm done too my hearing??? Is there any test too tell this??

I was exposed to a very powerful alarm for several minutes and close range.

I can hear speech fine, birds singing, my watch ticking on my desk etc but music sounds broken like a broken speaker with a rattle :(

The T itself isn't crazy loud thankfully and sleep has improved. Sometimes I can't hear it at all.

Hyperacusis has improved a lot and things like plates banging together or traffic noise isn't as bad as it was.

I miss my music :( I try and listen too it but it just sounds crap. It has improved a little but still not clear. (I do not use headphones)

Basic audiogram shows a dip a 4K but hearing is classed as normal.

I am thinking my acoustic trauma is more like blast damage rather than noise induced from the likes of a concert etc

This along with balance issues, T and self loathing :(

Thoughts??

You lot have been a great help these last 5 months. Thankyou for all your support.

Still awaiting appointment with ent not that they will be any good.
our best chance for a return to normalcy are these hearing loss drugs that are in trials or waiting for IND approval, about a year ago I was trying really hard to get this community organized for some level of activism but people like ed209 just shit all over me and nobody really gave a flying fuck so you're just going to have to deal with your broken speaker ears until the government and big pharma rescue you

our best chance for a return to normalcy are these hearing loss drugs that are in trials or waiting for IND approval, about a year ago I was trying really hard to get this community organized for some level of activism but people like ed209 just shit all over me and nobody really gave a flying fuck so you're just going to have to deal with your broken speaker ears until the government and big pharma rescue you

Not necessarily true, @Jason C recovered completely in less than two years without hearing regeneration drugs. Obviously these drugs would be great but just saying it may resolve on its own as well.

Have you tried investigating new genres of music?

I too have had to abandon a lot of the music I used to love. Every day I spend time removing from my "Liked" playlist in Spotify a lot of songs which I know I can no longer enjoy, usually involving high pitched or distorted rock guitars. So I've been going for smoother sounding music, mainly electronica, downtempo, psybient, dubstep and so on. Plenty to choose from on YouTube.

On bad days, any and all music will still aggravate my tinnitus and hyperacusis. But I'm starting to get better days when I can enjoy low-volume music like the above. And on really good days, I can spend a little time listening to some of my old favourites again.

Not necessarily true, @Jason C recovered completely in less than two years without hearing regeneration drugs. Obviously these drugs would be great but just saying it may resolve on its own as well.
I read that today and it floored me. @Jason C, if you are ever still here I would love to know more.

Can this perhaps be because since the onset of my tinnitus (almost 2 months in yay) I've only been listening to music and mainly soothing music at a very, very low volume, like the first possible one on my phone. And at that rate I didn't realize the distortion. So can this distortion be a kind of hyperacusistic reaction to higher volume? I think I have the biggest problem with violin and trumpet type of instruments. I've just listened to Ederlezi from the movie Time of the Gypsies and it was like torture, so out of tune, absolutely not clear and has a very scratchy undertone to everything. I love that movie and that particular song. In this song even the vocals sound out of tune to me.
Is there any connection between distortion and potential of hearing loss later, or leading to distortion in speech sounds later on?

I read that today and it floored me. @Jason C, if you are ever still here I would love to know more.

Hiya, I am still here and contribute to the forum when someone tags me or sends a message. This forum was a great help to me when I was really suffering with Tinnitus so I like to help if I can.
I am happy to answer any questions.
Thankfully my tinnitus, hyperacusis and other issues did resolve on their own but it did take a long time. I didn't do anything special apart from educate myself on how noise and decibels work, What is loud and what is too loud and how to protect my hearing as best I can.
I had a terrible time with Tinnitus and know just how crushing it can be, even reading some of my posts from that time now I can't believe I wrote them. It was a very dark time.
I remember the broken speaker period when music sounded broken and that was devastating. This was when my hyperacusis was at its worst. At the time I didn't understand what was happening which made it harder.
It is possible these things can get better on their own, it's different for everyone and even if things don't fully resolve 100% somehow we find the strength to fight on and keep going.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now