• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

My Dream Is to Get a Motorcycle License — Can Driving a Motorcycle Make Tinnitus Worse?

Lynny

Author
Feb 28, 2019
Tinnitus Since
December 2018
Cause of Tinnitus
Unknown, possibly stress
Hi everyone,

I'd really like to ask someone with some motorcycle-experience some (possibly dumb) questions about motorcycles / tinnitus (or hearing loss in general).

It's been my dream for years to get my license, and I've been saving up since I was about 15 years old. Unfortunately at 19 I got hit with tinnitus, and since then I didn't dare consider it.

I am now 22 years old and finally feeling like things are starting to go okay in my life (relatively!). I've been noticing bikes everywhere I go and although I've tried to forget about it, I can't stop thinking about it.

I don't know a lot about how risky it is exactly for hearing loss, or whether it's a crazy idea that I should forget about definitively.

Thank you kindly, I appreciate it a lot!

I know there are some members here who still ride so hopefully they can weigh in. There is also some good threads here about head protection if you can search for them.

You want to wear a full helmet with a wind skirt. One of the best helmets out there and one of the best in reducing noise and wind is Shoei. They're expensive but worth it IMHO.

I'd really like to ask someone with some motorcycle-experience some (possibly dumb) questions about motorcycles / tinnitus (or hearing loss in general).
Before buying a motorcycle I suggest hiring one for a two or three weeks to see how you get on, because there's no way of knowing how your tinnitus will react. A motorcycle is loud and I agree with others on this thread, to wear good hearing protection and helmet.

Tinnitus can also be affected by low frequency vibrations through the body, which could be a factor with a motorcycle.

Best of luck,
Michael

It would be rather impossible to say with certainty how your tinnitus would react since everyone's so different. But I agree with Michael about renting one first to try it out a bit lightly, short rides to see how you react. And absolutely wear suitable earplugs and a good helmet! I've also noticed not all motorcycles are as loud, perhaps you can find one that isn't as loud. A shame there aren't electric motorcycles (that I know of at least), that would be a quiet ride. Good luck with your dream :)

I had four motorcycles over the years and travelled both for commuting and for tourism across many countries. As I got tinnitus I kept going for one year but I got worse and worse. Even with a full helmet and plugs, the engine vibrations and the wind can be problematic.

But it really depends on your type of tinnitus. If it's stable and going on the bus or the tube/metro doesn't worsen it, then you might be ok. Here Michael's idea above is good: you could rent a motorcycle and try it for a few days to see what happens. That's what I'd do.

Touring the Alps in Switzerland and the sea in Croatia, Sardinia and Sicily by motorcycle was among the best experiences of my past life. I really hope it works for you.

I'm reviving this thread because I'm currently trying to figure out if motorcycle riding works for me.

I've owned motorcycles, mostly Harleys, for most of my adult life until my tinnitus severely worsened around 2016. After that, I sold all my motorcycles because every time I rode, my tinnitus spiked quite badly.

For the past eight years, I've avoided almost all the things I used to enjoy, like concerts, motorcycle riding, shooting, etc. I've read just about every decibel chart related to these activities, and I almost always come to the same conclusion: with proper hearing protection, most of these activities should be safe. But why do they still cause my tinnitus to spike?

I used to think the spikes were caused by the vibrations from the motorcycle. However, last week, I went shooting with a suppressed small-caliber rifle while wearing double hearing protection (high-quality, professionally fitted). Technically, it should have been completely safe. Suppressed .22 LR reaches a maximum of around 120 dB, and even if I assume 130 dB, double protection provides nearly 42 dB of reduction. So, the impulse noise that actually reached my eardrum couldn't have exceeded 90–95 dB, which is relatively low for impulse noises lasting only a few milliseconds. Still, my tinnitus spiked substantially.

I'm now starting to believe the spikes aren't caused by the noise itself, but by something else—possibly a psychological factor. I'm very worried about worsening my tinnitus, and I suspect that fear and stress could be the main culprits here.

Recently, I took a test ride on a 2024 Harley-Davidson Street Bob. Of course, I wore high-quality earplugs (36 dB SNR), and I immediately thought, "Wow, this is really quiet!" The vibration felt very low, almost negligible, and I was almost euphoric that it seemed to work so well. However, when I got home, my tinnitus spiked again. It went down by about 85% of the spike amplitude the next day, but my tinnitus has remained slightly more noticeable since the test ride two days ago.

I'm aware that the noise reduction rating (SNR) for hearing protection is often considered too high, although the main cause of decreased effectiveness is incorrect usage. When used correctly, the given SNR is fairly accurate. All the measurements taken inside the helmet show sound levels below 110 dB, even at speeds of 140 km/h. Cruising speeds around 50–70 km/h rarely exceed 95–100 dB. So, even if my earplugs only provided a 15 dB reduction, I would still be in a range with virtually no risk of hearing damage, especially when riding for less than an hour.

I'll see how this progresses. I certainly don't want my tinnitus to worsen, as I know how debilitating it can be and how much it can negatively affect life. But I also don't want to live a life devoid of all the things I love.

I'll keep you updated.

I'll see how this progresses. I certainly don't want my tinnitus to worsen, as I know how debilitating it can be and how much it can negatively affect life. But I also don't want to live a life devoid of all the things I love.
I understand that you don't want to give up on everything that makes your life enjoyable @Bill_ because of tinnitus. However, I advise you to think carefully before you buy a motorbike. You have noise-induced tinnitus. This type of tinnitus can worsen when exposed to loud noise and certain vibrations throughout the body, as I explained in my previous post. Even if you wear the best hearing protection in the world, if the external sound is loud enough, it will pass through your head and transfer to the inner ear by bone conduction and can spike tinnitus.

This was the reason you noticed an increase in your tinnitus after riding the motorbike. Fortunately, it reduced. If you continue to expose yourself to loud noises, there may come a time when the tinnitus spikes and then increases to a new permanent level. Believe me, it can happen. I have explained this in my thread: Can I Habituate to Variable Tinnitus?

Take care.
Michael

Riding a motorcycle might worsen tinnitus. I own a 900cc Triumph, and it's fairly loud, although I always wear a helmet. However, I don't use earplugs. After riding, my tinnitus spikes slightly but eventually returns to what I perceive as a moderate level—not severe, but not mild either. It seems to be a combination of the wind noise and the rumble of the engine, but I'm not entirely certain. I agree with Michael's suggestion: rent a motorcycle for a week. There are plenty of places in the U.S. that offer rentals. You will need a motorcycle license to rent one. In my state, you can apply for a learner's permit by passing a written test, though I'm unsure if you can rent with just a permit.

I understand that you don't want to give up on everything that makes your life enjoyable @Bill_ because of tinnitus. However, I advise you to think carefully before you buy a motorbike. You have noise-induced tinnitus. This type of tinnitus can worsen when exposed to loud noise and certain vibrations throughout the body, as I explained in my previous post. Even if you wear the best hearing protection in the world, if the external sound is loud enough, it will pass through your head and transfer to the inner ear by bone conduction and can spike tinnitus.

This was the reason you noticed an increase in your tinnitus after riding the motorbike. Fortunately, it reduced. If you continue to expose yourself to loud noises, there may come a time when the tinnitus spikes and then increases to a new permanent level. Believe me, it can happen. I have explained this in my thread: Can I Habituate to Variable Tinnitus?

Take care.
Michael
Hey Michael,

I agree with everything you said. Hearing protection has physical limits, and it must be used correctly to achieve the level of protection it's designed to provide.

However, I'm not talking about situations so loud that noise exposure can't be brought down to a safe level. I'm referring to situations where it's not possible to sustain hearing damage, yet tinnitus still spikes. I know bone conduction plays a role, but it already offers around a 40 dB reduction. For example, if the noise level around you is 100 dB and you are properly wearing hearing protection that provides 30 dB of noise reduction, it's physically impossible for your hearing to be damaged. Yet, we all know that for some people, tinnitus still spikes in such situations.

I'm just wondering how much of this is actually related to psychological factors rather than actual physical damage.

I still might go for an electric bike, though! :)

Take care.
Michael
I can confirm that I experienced significant spikes and pressure in both ears at a DJ event with 90 dB, even though I was wearing professional, high-quality noise-dampening hearing protection. From now on, I will avoid any situation with loud noise.

I'm just wondering how much of this is actually related to psychological factors rather than actual physical damage.
Hi Bill,

You make an interesting point about the connection between psychology and tinnitus, and I agree with you. I've often said that tinnitus is deeply intertwined with our mental and emotional well-being, particularly through the limbic system, and it cannot be separated from it.

While hearing damage is often associated with tinnitus, I also believe that the two can exist independently. For instance, noise-induced tinnitus can worsen with noise exposure, even if the noise isn't loud enough to cause hearing impairment. This is because everyone responds differently. I encourage you to read my thread: "Hyperacusis, As I See It."

In 2016, I visited an arcade on the Brighton Palace Pier where the sound levels reached 100 decibels, and I wasn't affected. This was purely an experiment, and I wouldn't advise anyone else to try it.

My point is to be cautious with what you're doing. Noise-induced tinnitus is not something to take lightly, as it can be extremely cruel and unforgiving when it becomes severe.

All the best,
Michael

I still might go for an electric bike, though! :)
My Harley Sportster hasn't left the garage in almost two years, and it's starting to get to me. I really want to ride. Lately, I have seriously considered selling the bike and looking into something electric. I know it's not the same, but maybe I can still get that open-road feeling.

I can confirm that I experienced significant spikes and pressure in both ears at a DJ event with 90 dB, even though I was wearing professional, high-quality noise-dampening hearing protection. From now on, I will avoid any situation with loud noise.
That's a good example of what I mean. If it actually was 90 dB and your hearing protection was applied correctly, there can't have been any physical damage to your ears. Either it was not really 90 dB (a-weighted measurements don't show the real noise exposure), the hearing protection was not fitted correctly, or the increase in tinnitus can not have been caused by physical damage. It has to be one of these options.

That's a good example of what I mean. If it actually was 90 dB and your hearing protection was applied correctly, there can't have been any physical damage to your ears. Either it was not really 90 dB (a-weighted measurements don't show the real noise exposure), the hearing protection was not fitted correctly, or the increase in tinnitus can not have been caused by physical damage. It has to be one of these options.
I used to think the same thing—that it wouldn't affect me. But what I can say for sure is that my hearing protection was seated correctly; otherwise, I would have noticed immediately.

Given my previously damaged hearing, I also believe that either bone conduction or something psychological in the auditory processing might be at play. It seems that a certain hypersensitivity might prevent proper processing, causing the hearing to go into a state of alert, or something similar.

I advise everyone to avoid exposure to loud noises, even with hearing protection. While mechanical damage from the sound may be unlikely, some synapses might still be overwhelmed, leading to pressure in the ear and tinnitus.

My Harley Sportster hasn't left the garage in almost two years, and it's starting to get to me. I really want to ride. Lately, I have seriously considered selling the bike and looking into something electric. I know it's not the same, but maybe I can still get that open-road feeling.
My thoughts exactly! I'm still not done figuring it out but there are some really cool electric bikes on the market already. If they weren't so crazy expensive...

I bought a very quiet 2024 Honda CRF 450 RL dual sport street legal dirt bike in April and riding it has been the most positive experience I have had since having tinnitus but it was a huge gamble and very stressful at first.

I have very severe bi-lateral ringing with multiple tones between 10 and 13K.
My tinnitus is also very unstable as in the intensity is all over the place throughout the day as it reacts to the noises in my environment.
It's also still progressively getting worse but I have learned how to slow that progression down significantly from daily and weekly worsening to monthly or so by trial and error over the years in my use of hearing protection and avoiding noise exposure.

What actually made me look at a motor bike is the extreme discomfort I experience when driving cars and trucks.
Driving a car with earplugs and muffs is something I can never seem to get use to and it has a very negative impact on my driving ability and mental state as well irritating my tinnitus very badly even with protection especially on the hi way.
At some point I thought to myself too bad I cannot get away with wearing a fucking full face helmet in the car because I probably would try it.
And that led to me considering a motor bike.

No car passengers screaming directly in my ear from 12 inches away like in a car and I'm not stuck in the drivers seat were I am forced into a position that is only a few feet from the speeding traffic in the opposite lane with their exhaust pipes pretty much at my ear level.
Keeping the windows rolled up in most cars helps a lot with noise but driving in a car with the windows up is one of the most annoying thing I can think of and it often makes me sick.
I am an outdoorsy guy and need that fresh air.

On a bike I can scoot way over to the right or at least have a lot more freedom to position myself where ever I feel most comfortable on the road or while sitting in traffic and I can usually easily escape most uncomfortable situations and it has all worked and made a huge difference.

I would not even consider driving a motorcycle on the hi-way and that's where I have most of my problems in a car because it's tough to decide to not take the hi way in a car because of your ears when u are late but on the bike I'm just like oh man I am gonna be so late but I'm having a blast doing it.

I started out by buying a premium helmet known for being comfortable and quiet and spared no expense there.
I got a 600$ Shoei Neo-tech flip face helmet and I lucked out because it's amazingly quiet and comfortable.
So I use Mack's Orange foam earplugs which seem to be a millimeter longer than most which I found important for pulling them back out of my ears because I also use those silly puddy type earplugs over the foam which definitely decreases the noise even further but also gives me knowing that the foam ones are safely under there and cannot be dislodged when putting on the helmet.

I then put on a face mask which also covers my ears and kinda locks in my plugs-
the thickness of the mask I use depends on weather and the helmet then goes over all that which is why a flip face helmet is key because they are much easier to get on without dislodging the ear plugs and head gear.

I had been considering trying to fit small bone conductive speakers in my helmet some where to listen to white noise or some gental music to distract me from my screeching tinnitus with my ears blocked like I must do while driving a car or I go insane but I found I don't need it on the bike and forget about it due to the joy of riding and all the sensory input that goes with it I guess.

For years I attributed all severe spikes with fresh damage and I am sure that was often the case before I had a clue on how to be pro-active but now I realize that harmless noise levels and vibrations are going to cause spikes regardless of how protected you and that those types of spikes return to base line.

So the bike actually helped me in many ways but I always take Linearbs advice to heart and I am no where near that bike or any other when it is running without full ear protection-
Not Even Once.

I also stop and rest for 10 minutes after at least every half hour of riding but I am thirsty and have to piss at that point anyway and with a dirt bike I have found some pretty epic rest spots along my normal routes to stop and take a few puffs off a joint so it's not a drag whatsoever.

And I don't go riding all day every day ever just an hour in the morning and an hour right before dusk at the most with plenty of full rest days to monitor my condition.

My bike is really quiet for a dirt bike to begin with but I modified my exhaust to point down and away from me and I also have rackless saddle bags that further function to dampen the sound so my own exhaust is not an issue whatsoever when on the bike and pedestrians walking the trails literally cannot even hear me until I ride by them.
So it's just every one else's road noise that I maneuver to keep my distance from whenever possible.

Wind noise would normally be the biggest issue because it's fairly constant as well as sublimely damaging but my ears are safely protected and I spend very little time above 60 mph-
usually just on the home stretch so I am all smiles when I get off the bike for the day.

But still I don't encourage anyone with tinnitus to buy a motor bike because there are so many ways it can go bad even if you are careful.
If you can do without one then you probably should but if you cannot I highly suggest you get a real quiet one or you might end up so stressed about the noise that its just not worth it and definitely don't buy the murderous red bitch that I bought she still tries to kill me on a regular basis but she's mine and I luv her.

But I have had tinnitus bad for well over a half dozen years now and at 55 it was time for me to take this single calculated risk and attempt to live again and so far so good.
I mean a single full work day is hell on my ears and I truly feel that the 2000 miles I have put on my bike so far this summer has not done half the amount of damage if any that a tough week at work does so I decided to live a little and I'm glad I did.

Some really cool electric motorbikes on the horizon make almost zero noise.

I bought myself an electric moped (NIU M+) a few years ago to navigate city traffic, and it's one of the best purchases ever.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now