Nearly a Year In and Still Struggling with Tinnitus

Can't be normal? Why am I not habituating?

If your tinnitus is continually changing in volume and intensity such as mine it is hard to habituate. That being said I hope yours is not changing and you may learn to accept it and give it no emotion in time to come.

If your tinnitus is continually changing in volume and intensity such as mine it is hard to habituate. That being said I hope yours is not changing and you may learn to accept it and give it no emotion in time to come.
You and me both. Although I have better come to terms with that now and don't lose my shit as often.

You are entirely normal Annika. You've been sold a concept namely 'habituation' that simply doesn't cut it for a lot of people and has mutated in to a way of shaming people who can't tolerate or live normally with constant intrusive head noise.

You're not alone and you're not abnormal. Stay strong, be honest and open about your suffering. Don't let yourself be shamed in to silence and keep the dream alive of a proper treatment that returns us to our natural silent state........Nothing less is bullshit pretence I'm afraid.

I'm not fully habituated yet, but it took me over two years before I think I really started habituation to it.

I don't know if I'll ever fully habituate, but it doesn't bother me as much as it used to.

It used to be daily torture that I was acutely aware of every waking moment.

There is nothing wrong with you.
Having any noise inside your head is not natural.
Yes you can adapt...to a point, depending on the severity and intrusiveness.
As @Bam has already mentioned above, "getting used to it" simply does not cut it for many sufferers.
We need a real cure or at least a real treatment.

I'm at 2 1/2 years and don't feel habituated, but I certainly have better days. It is very much influenced by levels of hormones and neurotransmitters and whatever those chemicals happen to be doing in the brain and on any given day. I used to think anxiety played into it, but I can be having a perfectly time and some noise will spike it. So hang in there! Distraction and focusing on things you still can do is key.

Habituation. The day you accept you will have tinnitus for the rest of your life you will habituate. That's all the word means. Acceptance. The thing that truly matters is how the tinnitus is affecting your life. If it is too loud and getting in the way of everything, how could anyone accept that?

Habituation. The day you accept you will have tinnitus for the rest of your life you will habituate. That's all the word means. Acceptance. The thing that truly matters is how the tinnitus is affecting your life. If it is too loud and getting in the way of everything, how could anyone accept that?
I think reactive tinnitus begs to differ and makes habituation very difficult if not impossible as I'm seeing across this board. It doesn't seem that the odds are in our favor.

@BuzzyBee, hope you have some good news 5 years in :(

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now